Jenn

Default Great recordings

Hi all,

On a recordings shopping trip to L.A. on Friday, among some great finds
were 2 recordings that are simply extraordinary, and I would like to
share the titles with you:

1. "Festival" Reiner/CSO LP, Classic Records reprint of RCA LSC 2423
Unbelievable in every way; among the best recordings I've ever heard,
and the best dynamic range that I can recall from any recording, any
format. And of course, wonderful playing. Incredible. Run, don't
walk...seriously.

2. Handel Arias, Lorraine Hunt Lieberson on Avie CD. Among the very
best reproductions of the female voice that I've ever heard. Just
fantastic. And she sings these works in a super expressive, though
appropriate to the period, way. The best sounding CD that I've yet
heard.

It was a great shopping trip; Amoeba was well stocked with LPs, Tower
Classical had many neat new CDs, and I heard an incredible Sondheim
concert at the Bowl in the evening :-)
BEAR

Jenn wrote:

[...]

I think Chesky re-issued Reiner on a disc called "The Power Of The
Orchestra" some years back. iirc. Someone please correct me if I am
wrong. That is worth finding a mint copy...

Of course, I suggest finding Blue Note pressings, and groove out on some
Jazz! : -)

_-_-bear
Jenn

In article , BEAR
wrote:

Jenn wrote:

[...]

Yes, and it is excellent. But in my view, the Classic re-pressing is
far superior. It's really incredible. I do love all of the Cheskys
though.

Of course, I suggest finding Blue Note pressings, and groove out on some
Jazz! : -)

They are great! :-)

_-_-bear

weinhen

Wasn't "The Power of the Orchestra" a Leibowitz conducted disc?

AW
Jenn

In article , "weinhen"
wrote:

Wasn't "The Power of the Orchestra" a Leibowitz conducted disc?

AW

Yes it was.