Stewart Pinkerton

Default Amplifiers (was: Hafler)

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 18:58:29 +0100, Sander deWaal
wrote:

"Rusty Boudreaux" said:

Of course distortion is not in the definition. Amplification is
pure gain. Any deviation from pure gain is more than just
amplification.

I suppose you're still using a QUAD 303? ;-)

I agree all amps do deviate from ideal amplification. However,
amps can be designed such that deviations are well below the
threshold of hearing and even below the limits of available test
gear. For the purpose of amplifying audio signals they can be
considered ideal amplifiers ala "straight wire with gain".

So the best amplifier is the one with the lowest distortion figure and
the most watts in an IHF-based load of 8 ohms/2 uF? Always and in
every case?

Yes - so long as you include HF IM distortion.

Wouldn't you consider the idea that there are other factors playing
than just high power and low distortion, of whatever kind?

No.

See below.
To me, an amplifier is just a piece in an entire system, and it might
NEED to deviate from the "ideal" amplifier to thrive in that
particular system. Perhaps that's why Pinkerton is using a Krell in
his system? :-)

No, that's because I have insensitive 3-ohm speakers. The Krell is
about as close as I've seen to an 'ideal' amplifier, although of
course its current reserve is overkill for most speakers and rooms.

I also agree a designer can intentionally add distortion and like
the result. Guitar amps would be a good example. In that case
it would not be a poor design but it's also not just an
amplifier.

"Guitar amps [......] are not just amps".
That's a very narrow definition of "amplifier" you're using here.

He means that the guitar amp is not a reproducer, it's *part* of the
instrument.

I belive the job of an audio power amplifier (preamp input,
speaker output) is to amplify the incoming signal without adding
any audible effects other than pure gain. To do anything else
changes the intent of the artist. If a power amplifier is
designed and marketed as a pure amplifier but adds audible
effects then it is poorly designed.

I thinks this depends on the definition.
The "intent of the artist" is just as severly changed by the recording
engineer, the mastering engineer,

But there's nothing we can do about this random deviation from
neutrality, so unless you have *very* narrow musical tastes, a neutral
replay system is indicated as a best approach to all recordings.

and even you who might use a tone
control and different speakers from the mastering studio in your home.
According to your definition, an integrated amplifier with tone
controls isn't an amplifier either........

Indeed not, although it may balance a poor loudspeaker or room to some
extent. Dedicated room/speaker EQ is whole other can of worms!

I maintain the thought that according to your narrow definition, even
using the tone controls "deviates from the artist's intent".

Depends why you use them, as noted above.

I also think you (and Pinkerton, Krueger and others) are using a too
narrow definition of the term amplifier, or even high fidelity, or
perhaps even music reproduction.

I don't see anyone coming up with a loogical alternative.

It further depends on how you will define high fidelity :

- Is it true reproduction of what we hear in the concert hall? If so,
which concert hall, which seat, which row, which orchestra, which
conductor? After or before having a good meal, sex, pot, or
discussion, or none at all?

All of the above.

- Is it true reproduction of what's on the medium (be it CD, LP, HDD,
tape, whatever)? If so, which medium?

All of them. That's why LP replay systems based on Linn Sondeks have
no chance of producing optimum results from other sources.

How do we know the recording engineer did a right job? And the
mastering engineer? And the quality of the pressing, the tape, the A/D
and D/A converters? The format in which the data was stored? The kind
of mixing console? Which compressors, eqs, microphones, cables etc.?

We have to take all these on trust, otherwise we'd be attempting to
undo a different set of defects in every recording.

- Is it true reproduction of what *someone* thinks it should sound?
If so, should it be how von Karajan thinks it should sound? On his
conduction position or in the 15th row in the hall?
How Jon BonJovi thinks it should sound? On stage, through his monitor
or on his friend's system at 2.00 AM after some cocaine?
How Rudy van Gelder thought it should sound? Or Miles Davis?
Doctor Amar? Bill Johnson? The late Steve Zipser?
How you or I or Joe Sixpack thinks it should sound?

I try to make the system entirely transparent to the preferences of
the recording and mastering engineers. You may do as you will.

What's the function of a musical reproduction chain?

TO ME, it's a device that should give me pleasure.

There are other electrical devices which can achieve that aim. If you
want a bad recording to give you pleasure, then you are in a downward
spiral towards 'easy listening' tubes and vinyl...............

As such, I design audio gear that suits MY NEEDS.
If that means a THD of 3 %, so be it.
If that means a certain spectrum of harmonics, so be it.
If that means having to use equalizers, so be it.
If that means putting my speakers in such positions that I can hardly
live in the room, so be it.
If that means having to use obsolete triodes or obsolete MOSFETS, so
be it.
If that means class A , transformers of 1000VA to obtain 20 watts per
channel, so be it.
If that means using biwiring, while I *know* it doesn't matter
technically, but it makes me feel better, so be it.
LP, CD, DVD, MP3, 1/2 inch master tape? Does it matter?

Snake oil? So be it.
My-Fi instead of Hi-Fi? So be it.

No one is arguing against your personal preference.

I know people who are moved to tears by a song from their youth
playing on a 10 yr. old fluttering and noisy cassette walkman.
THAT's the function of music. Entertainment and emotion.

Sure, but that has nothing to do with *high fidelity* music
reproduction.

Music (and hence audio) cannot be that dogmatic.
By its very nature it can't.

Rubbish. Music is art - audio is engineering. The two *are* separate.

Rusty Boudreaux

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message
So the best amplifier is the one with the lowest distortion

figure and
the most watts in an IHF-based load of 8 ohms/2 uF? Always and
every case?

For pure amplification of audio the technical goal is to reduce
all audible effects other than gain to below the level of
audibility.

Wouldn't you consider the idea that there are other factors

playing
than just high power and low distortion, of whatever kind? See

Sure, but the factors are not germane to high fidelity (cost,
looks, etc).

To me, an amplifier is just a piece in an entire system, and it

might
NEED to deviate from the "ideal" amplifier to thrive in that
particular system.

For you that may be fine. However, I submit it's not the most
user friendly arrangement. Searching for a deviant amplifier
that is deviant in 'just the right way' to cancel out other
system deviations seems counterproductive. Once done you have to
get a new amp when you get new speakers or new wire or new this
or that. For some of us that's no big deal but it doesn't have
to be that way.

The goal of an ideal amplifier (or an ideal CD player, etc) is to
not add audible effects of it's own. Just because I choose a
speaker that has high end rolloff doesn't mean I should go
searching for a specific amplifier to compensate...that's why EQ
are sold.

"Guitar amps [......] are not just amps".
That's a very narrow definition of "amplifier" you're using

here.

It's the technical definition used in published technical
literature. Since we are discussing technical attributes it is
appropriate. A guitar amp is a musical instrument not an
end stage amplifier.

I belive the job of an audio power amplifier (preamp input,
speaker output) is to amplify the incoming signal without

adding
any audible effects other than pure gain. To do anything else
changes the intent of the artist. If a power amplifier is
designed and marketed as a pure amplifier but adds audible
effects then it is poorly designed.

I thinks this depends on the definition.
The "intent of the artist" is just as severly changed by the

recording
engineer, the mastering engineer,

Semantics. I submit that the final released form is the intent
of the artist or artists.

Unless the liner notes specifically suggest "reproduce with 6dB
boost at 12kHz" or "add 3% second harmonic distortion below 5kHz"
then I assume the intent was to reproduce the audio with the
highest fidelity possible.

and even you who might use a tone
control and different speakers from the mastering studio in

your home.
According to your definition, an integrated amplifier with tone
controls isn't an amplifier either........

It is an amplifier (hopefully ideal gain) with tone controls
(adjustable frequency response).

However, I suppose it could be designed to deviate from ideal
amplification and marketed as "adding warmth to the treble" or
some other claim. In that scenario it would be hard to call

the
product poorly designed since deviation was intentional and
disclosed but it wouldn't be appropriate to call it just an
amplifier. I agree some audiophiles might enjoy the

colorations
even though they deviate from the artists' intent.

I maintain the thought that according to your narrow

definition,

The definition is the accepted definition for technical
publications.

even using the tone controls "deviates from the artist's

intent".

Unless tone controls correct for a deviation elsewhere in the
system I believe they do alter the artist's intent. However, you
are free to alter the artist's intent in any way you choose for
whatever reason.

I also think you (and Pinkerton, Krueger and others) are using

a too
narrow definition of the term amplifier, or even high fidelity,

or

These are technical terms with specific meanings within the
professional community. I adhere to those definitions when
posting to a supposed technical forum such as rec.audio.tech.

It further depends on how you will define high fidelity :

- Is it true reproduction of what we hear in the concert hall?

If so,
which concert hall, which seat, which row, which orchestra,

which
conductor? After or before having a good meal, sex, pot, or
discussion, or none at all?

The generally accepted definition of high fidelity audio system
is "a playback system for reproducing, as close as possible to
the original recording, without alterations other than gain".
It's a sliding scale meant for improvements in technology hence
"as close as possible". In the limit, it reduces to a system
that perfectly reproduces without alterations other than gain.

- Is it true reproduction of what's on the medium (be it CD,

LP, HDD,
tape, whatever)? If so, which medium?

Whatever the limits of the medium used.

How do we know the recording engineer did a right job? And the
mastering engineer? And the quality of the pressing, the tape,

the A/D
and D/A converters? The format in which the data was stored?

The kind
of mixing console? Which compressors, eqs, microphones, cables

etc.?

We don't know. The recording could be absolute perfection or
could have any number of deficiencies.

All we know is a given medium has standards. High fidelity means
faithfully reproducing the standard accurately as possible.

Let's take your example to the extreme. My favorite recording
was horribly mastered. However, if I use an ACME model 7
amplifier with loopy frequency response then my favorite
recording comes out perfect. Great...but what if I want to
listen to other recordings that were mastered properly or even
differently? They won't sound right.

- Is it true reproduction of what *someone* thinks it should

sound?
If so, should it be how von Karajan thinks it should sound? On

his
conduction position or in the 15th row in the hall?
How Jon BonJovi thinks it should sound? On stage, through his

monitor
or on his friend's system at 2.00 AM after some cocaine?
How Rudy van Gelder thought it should sound? Or Miles Davis?
Doctor Amar? Bill Johnson? The late Steve Zipser?
How you or I or Joe Sixpack thinks it should sound?

See the definition of high fidelity above.

If Joe Sixamp wants to tweak his EQ that's certainly his
choice...but it wouldn't technically qualify as a high fidelity
audio system.

What's the function of a musical reproduction chain?

TO ME, it's a device that should give me pleasure.

Sure, I hope it does. However, pleasure is not a measure
of an amplifier's technical capability.

As such, I design audio gear that suits MY NEEDS.
If that means a THD of 3 %, so be it.
If that means a certain spectrum of harmonics, so be it.
If that means having to use equalizers, so be it.
If that means putting my speakers in such positions that I can

hardly
live in the room, so be it.
If that means having to use obsolete triodes or obsolete

MOSFETS, so
be it.
If that means class A , transformers of 1000VA to obtain 20

watts per
channel, so be it.
If that means using biwiring, while I *know* it doesn't matter
technically, but it makes me feel better, so be it.
LP, CD, DVD, MP3, 1/2 inch master tape? Does it matter?

Snake oil? So be it.
My-Fi instead of Hi-Fi? So be it.

I have no issue with this other than it doesn't meet the
technical definition of high fidelity. It's your system to do
what you want.

I know people who are moved to tears by a song from their youth
playing on a 10 yr. old fluttering and noisy cassette walkman.
THAT's the function of music. Entertainment and emotion.

Absolutely. But that walkman isn't being lofted as the pinnacle
of high fidelity.

Music (and hence audio) cannot be that dogmatic.
By its very nature it can't.

Obviously music can't because it's subjective.

However, the reproduction or amplification of recorded audio
signal is a technical exercise and there are standards,
definitions, and goals in doing so.

Sander deWaal

(Stewart Pinkerton) said:

So the best amplifier is the one with the lowest distortion figure and
the most watts in an IHF-based load of 8 ohms/2 uF? Always and in
every case?

Yes - so long as you include HF IM distortion.

OK, but......:

]........Pinkerton is using a Krell in his system.....]

No, that's because I have insensitive 3-ohm speakers. The Krell is
about as close as I've seen to an 'ideal' amplifier, although of
course its current reserve is overkill for most speakers and rooms.

So your average 8 ohms/2 uF load wouldn't be representative for your
Apogee speakers .
In that case, the narrow definition of the first paragraph above
doesn't apply, and the amp meeting that spec isn't " the best", at
least not in your situation.
Now we're getting somewhere.

I thinks this depends on the definition.
The "intent of the artist" is just as severly changed by the recording
engineer, the mastering engineer,

But there's nothing we can do about this random deviation from
neutrality, so unless you have *very* narrow musical tastes, a neutral
replay system is indicated as a best approach to all recordings.

Ah yes, but can we then still speak of high fidelity?
I happen to think we can't.
And apparently, many good folks who use SETs or other "obsolete"
technology think the same.
Why don't you use JBL or Genelec monitors instead of your Apogees?
Is your listening room an exact copy of the mastering room?

According to your definition, an integrated amplifier with tone
controls isn't an amplifier either........

Indeed not, although it may balance a poor loudspeaker or room to some
extent. Dedicated room/speaker EQ is whole other can of worms!

There goes thewhole idea of HiFi, out of the window......
See what I mean?
It's *simply not possible* to reproduce accurately what was the
"artist's intent".
The artist himself wouldn't probably even know what his intent should
be!
And don't forget the fact that when listening to a Bach or Beethoven
piece, neither of them is around to tell us how it should be played,
let alone how it should be reproduced.
We then accept the *interpretation* of a certain conductor, why
shouldn't we as well accept the interpretation of the engineer who
made our amp or speakers?

I also think you (and Pinkerton, Krueger and others) are using a too
narrow definition of the term amplifier, or even high fidelity, or
perhaps even music reproduction.

I don't see anyone coming up with a loogical alternative.

That's the point!
We're busy here argueing about high fidelity, while there seems to be
no concensus of what it should be.
That's why I used the term "My-Fi" instead of "Hi-Fi".

It further depends on how you will define high fidelity :

- Is it true reproduction of what we hear in the concert hall? If so,
which concert hall, which seat, which row, which orchestra, which
conductor? After or before having a good meal, sex, pot, or
discussion, or none at all?

All of the above.

Hm.....all of these instances (and many more, note) won't sound the
same.
That's not a definition to me.
OK, we move on to:

- Is it true reproduction of what's on the medium (be it CD, LP, HDD,
tape, whatever)? If so, which medium?

All of them. That's why LP replay systems based on Linn Sondeks have
no chance of producing optimum results from other sources.

Ignoring the sneer at Linn (which I happen to agree with), this could
actually be a definition of high fidelity.
I'll bet it's different from the "artist's intent".

How do we know the recording engineer did a right job? And the
mastering engineer? And the quality of the pressing, the tape, the A/D
and D/A converters? The format in which the data was stored? The kind
of mixing console? Which compressors, eqs, microphones, cables etc.?

We have to take all these on trust, otherwise we'd be attempting to
undo a different set of defects in every recording.

That's what tone controls and the like are for, right?

- Is it true reproduction of what *someone* thinks it should sound?
If so, should it be how von Karajan thinks it should sound? On his
conduction position or in the 15th row in the hall?
How Jon BonJovi thinks it should sound? On stage, through his monitor
or on his friend's system at 2.00 AM after some cocaine?
How Rudy van Gelder thought it should sound? Or Miles Davis?
Doctor Amar? Bill Johnson? The late Steve Zipser?
How you or I or Joe Sixpack thinks it should sound?

I try to make the system entirely transparent to the preferences of
the recording and mastering engineers. You may do as you will.

Now here's an honest answer!
You don't get to define what HiFi is, you just state how you would
like to see it.
Just as I did with my long-winded first post.

What's the function of a musical reproduction chain?
TO ME, it's a device that should give me pleasure.

There are other electrical devices which can achieve that aim. If you
want a bad recording to give you pleasure, then you are in a downward
spiral towards 'easy listening' tubes and vinyl...............

I don't think I understand this comment.
Yes, I'm using a valve amp at this moment, just as I happen to have
several solid state and hybrids lying around.
Tomorrow, I may feel the need to put one of them in the system.
What does that prove? I think it proves nothing.
Neither of them will reproduce the music in my home just as someone
intended it to be, except MYSELF!
How anyone can tell me that one or all of my amps are poorly designed,
*based on a flawed definition of HiFi*, is beyond me.
Besides, I don't care, as long as I have fun with them.

My-Fi instead of Hi-Fi? So be it.

No one is arguing against your personal preference.

I know, but the point I'm trying to make is that it is all about
*personal preference*.
There is no such thing as HiFi, at least not based on "straight wire
with gain".

Music (and hence audio) cannot be that dogmatic.
By its very nature it can't.

Rubbish. Music is art - audio is engineering. The two *are* separate.

Ok, let's rephrase: audio engineering cannot be dogmatic.
Your preference differs from mine, differs from Atkinsons, differs
from Boudreaux'', etc.

That was my point.

--
Sander deWaal
Vacuum Audio Consultancy

Sander deWaal

Many of the points below I've adressed to my reply to Stewart
Pinkerton, so allow me to snip here and the

"Rusty Boudreaux" said:

So the best amplifier is the one with the lowest distortion

figure and
the most watts in an IHF-based load of 8 ohms/2 uF? Always and
every case?

For pure amplification of audio the technical goal is to reduce
all audible effects other than gain to below the level of
audibility.

I tried to tell that to many recording and mastering engineers, and
they laughed me out of the studio :-)

To me, an amplifier is just a piece in an entire system, and it

might
NEED to deviate from the "ideal" amplifier to thrive in that
particular system.

For you that may be fine. However, I submit it's not the most
user friendly arrangement. Searching for a deviant amplifier
that is deviant in 'just the right way' to cancel out other
system deviations seems counterproductive. Once done you have to
get a new amp when you get new speakers or new wire or new this
or that. For some of us that's no big deal but it doesn't have
to be that way.

You're right about this, since I build most of my stuff myself, it's
easier for me to say and do.

The goal of an ideal amplifier (or an ideal CD player, etc) is to
not add audible effects of it's own. Just because I choose a
speaker that has high end rolloff doesn't mean I should go
searching for a specific amplifier to compensate...that's why EQ
are sold.

Hence my argument: "even using a tone control deviates from the
artist's intent".
See how those dogma's don't work?

The "intent of the artist" is just as severly changed by the

recording
engineer, the mastering engineer,

Semantics. I submit that the final released form is the intent
of the artist or artists.

Too bad Bach or Miles Davis are no longer around to ask :-)
I've done some recording and mastering myself, and compared raw tracks
to the final mix.
Many times the performing artists didn't recognize their own
particular sound which they heard on stage.
Plenty were the reactions like: "Oooh, this sounds way better/worse
than I remembered!"
Not one time they've asked me to preserve a particular sound because
they intended it that way.

So much for "artist's intent".
YMMV, of course.

Unless the liner notes specifically suggest "reproduce with 6dB
boost at 12kHz" or "add 3% second harmonic distortion below 5kHz"
then I assume the intent was to reproduce the audio with the
highest fidelity possible.

Yup, and there we go: what is the highest fidelity?
I take it you have a Crown Dc300 and JBLs in your listening room,
which happens to be an exact reproduction of the mastering room?

It is an amplifier (hopefully ideal gain) with tone controls
(adjustable frequency response).

Nope, it isn't:

RB: For pure amplification of audio the technical goal is to reduce
RB: all audible effects other than gain to below the level of
RB: audibility.

The definition is the accepted definition for technical
publications.

OK. Must it therefor be correct?
See my answer to Pinkerton: it is all about personal preference.
High Fidelity doesn't exist, there is only My Fidelity.
Everyone using anything different from the mastering room is using his
personal preference.

Unless tone controls correct for a deviation elsewhere in the
system I believe they do alter the artist's intent. However, you
are free to alter the artist's intent in any way you choose for
whatever reason.

There goes the idea of hiFi out of the window again.
Do you still maintain the position that doing so, is "poorly
designing" ?

The generally accepted definition of high fidelity audio system
is "a playback system for reproducing, as close as possible to
the original recording, without alterations other than gain".
It's a sliding scale meant for improvements in technology hence
"as close as possible". In the limit, it reduces to a system
that perfectly reproduces without alterations other than gain.

Reproduces WHAT? The original recording?
What if I tell you there are zillions of ideas out there about what
consists an "original recording"?
It just isn't possible to make everything sound like the original,
never, ever.
Does that mean we should not try? Of course not!
But everyone tries it in his own way.
One uses tubes, the other BJTs, X uses LPs, Y uses 38 cm/s tape.
Or all of the above.

My point: it *doesn't matter* what one uses.
It's all about *personal preference*.

All we know is a given medium has standards. High fidelity means
faithfully reproducing the standard accurately as possible.

Which means a different set of adjustments for every recording and
every medium.
Just one single "ideal"amplifier isn't gonna do that.
High Fidelity? What's that?

Let's take your example to the extreme. My favorite recording
was horribly mastered. However, if I use an ACME model 7
amplifier with loopy frequency response then my favorite
recording comes out perfect. Great...but what if I want to
listen to other recordings that were mastered properly or even
differently? They won't sound right.

To you? To me? To the artist who is supposed to have an "intention"
(other than making money:-) ?
If I have an amp that colors just a bit so that most recordings are
listenable, is that a good or a bad thing?
In the past, I've had an amplifier that was flat from DC to 1 MHz, had
THD and IMD I couldn't even measure, and S/N of about -100 dB.
I got tired of the sound I got with it (on QUAD ESL57s and several
other quality speakers).
Rolling my own (tube and solid state) amps, and being able to tweak
them to my tastes, made me a happier person.
Isn't that what a system is supposed to do?

If Joe Sixamp wants to tweak his EQ that's certainly his
choice...but it wouldn't technically qualify as a high fidelity
audio system.

Technically perhaps not.
Maybe this is an indication that we're on a road to nowhere with our
neverending quest to get things better.

Sure, I hope it does. However, pleasure is not a measure
of an amplifier's technical capability.

Maybe not of the amp by itzelf, but most certainly of the entire
system.
If a system doesn't give me pleasure, it doesn't meet my needs and as
such, has little to no value to me.

However, the reproduction or amplification of recorded audio
signal is a technical exercise and there are standards,
definitions, and goals in doing so.

And I'm still not convinced that it's the only right way to do it.
I'm not out here to make fun out of engineers, musicians or end-users
(heck, I'm all 3 of them!), but I'm trying to make clear that maybe we
should look at things from a broader perspective than just strictly
technical. It might prove to be fruitful!

--
Sander deWaal
Vacuum Audio Consultancy

Per Stromgren

On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 22:18:48 +0100, Sander deWaal
wrote:

Unless the liner notes specifically suggest "reproduce with 6dB
boost at 12kHz" or "add 3% second harmonic distortion below 5kHz"
then I assume the intent was to reproduce the audio with the
highest fidelity possible.

Yup, and there we go: what is the highest fidelity?
I take it you have a Crown Dc300 and JBLs in your listening room,
which happens to be an exact reproduction of the mastering room?

This is a really interesting comment. To me, this is exactly Hi-Fi: to
listen to the recording as the producer and the engieneer heard it! If
that is a Crown and JBL:s, so be it. However, most of my recordings
are probably monitored using QUADs or B&W 800s or something similar,
and I am rather confident in that my ESL 63s in fact plays back the
CD:s roughly as the the producer heard it, with the caveat that the
rooms acoustics probably are rather different.

I like to hear the music as intended. Period. And to do that, a well
made amplifier will do the job nicely.

Per.

Rusty Boudreaux

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message

I think we are almost saying the same thing. However, we should
probably stop wasting our time debating and just agree to
disagree.

To summarize my position:

The AES and IEEE define high fidelity as "a playback system for
reproducing, as close as possible to the original recording,
without
alterations other than gain". In the case of an audio amplifier
with
preamp type inputs and speaker level outputs this means
amplifying
the audio signal without adding any audible effects other than
gain.

A designer can choose to implement an amplifier that modifies
the incoming signal and a consumer can prefer that arrangement.
However, in the strict technical sense that device does not meet
the requirements for a high fidelity amplifier.

To make an obscence example, a designer could design an amplifier
with a frequency response of only 500Hz to 5kHz with a big sharp
null at 2kHz. He doesn't like bass because it bothers his
neighbors. High frequencies are eliminated because he thinks
they sound harsh and maybe he has an extreme sensitivity to 2kHz
sounds due to hearing damage. Even with the weird frequency
response this might be a very popular product. However, it does
not meet the technical requirements of a high fidelity audio
amplifier.

-Rusty B.

Arny Krueger

"Rusty Boudreaux" wrote in message

To summarize my position:

The AES and IEEE define high fidelity as "a playback system for
reproducing, as close as possible to the original recording, without
alterations other than gain". In the case of an audio amplifier with
preamp type inputs and speaker level outputs this means amplifying
the audio signal without adding any audible effects other than
gain.

Ditto for every dictionary I've looked the phrase "high fidelity" up in,
that had an entry for it.

A designer can choose to implement an amplifier that modifies
the incoming signal and a consumer can prefer that arrangement.

Think of a classic guitar amplifier in the style of Fender.

However, in the strict technical sense that device does not meet
the requirements for a high fidelity amplifier.

That's why guitar amps aren't usually sold as hifi amps.

However, it's possible that some Carys might make good, albeit low-powered
guitar amps. Think of an original Pignose made for trust fund babies.

To make an obscene example, a designer could design an amplifier
with a frequency response of only 500Hz to 5kHz with a big sharp
null at 2kHz. He doesn't like bass because it bothers his
neighbors. High frequencies are eliminated because he thinks
they sound harsh and maybe he has an extreme sensitivity to 2kHz
sounds due to hearing damage. Even with the weird frequency
response this might be a very popular product. However, it does
not meet the technical requirements of a high fidelity audio
amplifier.

Today's skill-testing question - which speaker(s) would cause a typical SET
deliver that kind of frequency response to it's terminals?

;-)

Sander deWaal

"Rusty Boudreaux" said:

I think we are almost saying the same thing. However, we should
probably stop wasting our time debating and just agree to
disagree.

That's a pity, I just enjoy discussions like this :-)

To summarize my position:

The AES and IEEE define high fidelity as "a playback system for
reproducing, as close as possible to the original recording,
without
alterations other than gain". In the case of an audio amplifier
with
preamp type inputs and speaker level outputs this means
amplifying
the audio signal without adding any audible effects other than
gain.

Your position is clear, and I don't question its validity.
However, my outlook is a bit different.
Also, the comment made my mrs. Stromgren and Pinkerton are very clear
on this subject, and they seem to coincide with the common terminology
of "High Fidelity".

A designer can choose to implement an amplifier that modifies
the incoming signal and a consumer can prefer that arrangement.
However, in the strict technical sense that device does not meet
the requirements for a high fidelity amplifier.

My conclusion thus far: HiFi means something else to everyone.
To me, absolute accuracy isn't the highest goal.

To make an obscence example, a designer could design an amplifier
with a frequency response of only 500Hz to 5kHz with a big sharp
null at 2kHz. He doesn't like bass because it bothers his
neighbors. High frequencies are eliminated because he thinks
they sound harsh and maybe he has an extreme sensitivity to 2kHz
sounds due to hearing damage. Even with the weird frequency
response this might be a very popular product. However, it does
not meet the technical requirements of a high fidelity audio
amplifier.

I agree it doesn't in a strict technical sense, but as you say, it
might please him, so to him, it's a true fidelity sound ;-)

I'm not *that* extreme, note. My amps perform very well to standard
tests, however they deviate from straight wire with gain.
And I'm not alone in that regard (did I hear the name Harvey Rosenberg
whispering in that corner? :-)

For now you'll have to excuse me, I have to align my warp core.

--
Sander deWaal
Vacuum Audio Consultancy

Sockpuppet Yustabe

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Rusty Boudreaux" wrote in message

However, in the strict technical sense that device does not meet
the requirements for a high fidelity amplifier.

That's why guitar amps aren't usually sold as hifi amps.

That's why solid state guitar amps are not usually
sold as solid state hi fi amps. It's also why tube guitar amps
are not usually sold as tube hi fi amps

However, it's possible that some Carys might make good, albeit low-powered
guitar amps. Think of an original Pignose made for trust fund babies.

I assume you are talking about Cary single ended power amps.
The distortion in a tube guitar amp comes from the preamp section,
not from the power amp.

Arny Krueger

"Sockpuppet Yustabe" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Rusty Boudreaux" wrote in message

However, in the strict technical sense that device does not meet
the requirements for a high fidelity amplifier.

That's why guitar amps aren't usually sold as hifi amps.

That's why solid state guitar amps are not usually
sold as solid state hi fi amps. It's also why tube guitar amps
are not usually sold as tube hi fi amps

However, it's possible that some Carys might make good, albeit
low-powered guitar amps. Think of an original Pignose made for trust
fund babies.

I assume you are talking about Cary single ended power amps.
The distortion in a tube guitar amp comes from the preamp section,
not from the power amp.

Shows how little you know, sockpuppet. It comes from both places.

Default Hafler (the first MOSFET? I don't think so)

Hitachi marketed a line of MOSFET amps prior to Hafler, I think. My
mind is really rusty (the 60's you know), but I think they were the
7500 and 8500 or so.

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 12:10:51 -0500, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

"bsguidry" wrote in message
. com...
[snip]
, or not finding the right ratings lists.

Good brands to look at include QSC, Hafler, and Crown. If you surf the
vendor web sites, you'll find very detailed RMS power specs.

Take QSC off the list. It's a testament to Arny's hearing difficulties.
Othewise, I concur.

I've definitely consider QSC and Crown, however, I've not encountered
Hafler very often in my searching.

David Hafler invented the Ultralinear tube circuit, which firmly enshrines
him in the audio pantheon of greats. He became chief engineer of Dynaco, and
went on to start Hafler. His second product was the DH-200, the world's
first MOSFET audio amplifier. At the time, this amp was regarded as a
price/performance breakthrough. Unassuming in appearance, it has massive
heatsinks with very plain metalwork. It was followed by some extremely good
preamps, and more MOSFET amps, some of which had a new circuit, the
Excelinear.

MOSFET amps are the most durable of all solid state amplifiers. They can
drive any load without output damage, and if you're reasonably lucky, they
will survive a dead short. The MOSFET transistor is now ubiquitous in power
switching applications because of it's ruggedness.

The sound of the traditional MOSFET circuit has both followers and
detractors, to which I add my personal observation that they complement
metal dome tweeters very well, but are not as good with fabric types.
Another MOSFET circuit developed by Jim Strickland, founder of Acoustat,
provides a different kind of sound that compliments fabric tweeters. I use
both types of amplifiers in my systems, depending upon the speakers they
match. At the time of it's introduction, the Acoustat TNT-200 was featured
on the cover of Audio Magazine, and it was regarded by many, at that time,
as raising the bar for clarity and detail in reproduction.

When Rockford bought Hafler and Acoustat, they chose -- unfortunately, in my
opinion, to preserve only one amplifier technology. Strickland's original
design was hardened -- the original design had vulnerabilities that had
nothing to do with output load -- and launched the 9000 series, and the P
series professional amps. These are astonishingly small, extremely high
quality amplifiers that are far tougher than the typical professional unit.
Because they use MOSFETs, they have no relays or fuses, and in my opinion,
have MUCH higher fidelity than the QSC units. Both types of Haflers are
common in studios, the XL-600 being one of t he most prized units. I have a
P3000.

Every once in a while, I find something really remarkable, or at least
remarkable for the price. I also use the Parasound HCA-2200ii bipolar amp. I
have found the Yamaha bipolar M series to have merit, though the build
quality is not in the class of an American amplifier. Nelson Pass's
Threshold amplifiers can be found in some Nakamichi receivers, and are quite
a pleasant surprise. B&K amplifiers use the traditional MOSFET circuit, with
exceptional build quality. I do not particularly enjoy ADCOM MOSFET amps,
though the build quality is very high.

I found the sound of Rotel, touted by various audio magazines, to be
disappointingly shrill.

The QSC is muddy. It's performance is a throwback to the bipolar amplifiers
of the late 70's and early 80's.

Arny Krueger

wrote in message

Hitachi marketed a line of MOSFET amps prior to Hafler, I think. My
mind is really rusty (the 60's you know), but I think they were the
7500 and 8500 or so.

Since Hitachi were among the first semiconductor companies to promote the
use of MOSFETs in audio, it stands to reason that they would be early on the
market with MOSFET amplifiers.