WideGlide

Default Mid field monitors - replacement for JBL 4412A's

I love my KRK 7000b's for near field monitoring... too bad KRK has
discontinued them. I also have a pair of JBL 4412A monitors (non-powered,
3-way with 12" woofer) from 1996 or so. As my ears and tastes become more
"refined" with experience, I am starting to enjoy the 4412a's less and less.
I have not compared them to anything, but I am feeling that there are
probably other good "mid-field" monitors out there that I might potentially
enjoy more.

I'd love to hear opinions of the JBL 4412A monitors just for my own
reference, and would like to collect any recommendations for a potential
replacement / upgrade. I've been hearing lots of good things about the ADAM
monitors... I see they make a S4Va which is comparably sized to the 4412A's.
Then there's also the bigger Genelecs (the 1037 or 1038 I think)... I heard
the big Genelecs briefly at AES several years ago and my initial impression
was that I liked them, but of course that is not way to really assess and
test monitors.

Before I arrange some type of audition session, I'd love to hear some
opinions of these monitors and any others that might fall into this
category. I currently run my JBL's off a Hafler P4000... I do not really
have a preference for powered verses non-powered monitors, they just need to
sound good.

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

Glide....

A friend of mine has a set of Tannoy LGM-12s (Little Gold Monitor)
on e-Bay right now. They were just under $1000 each when new
in 1995. They have been discontinued for a while, but they are a fine
mid-field, 'point-source' monitor. The item number is 3710445573.

Some of the best mixes I ever did were on this very set of speakers,
but I can't get him to sell them to me and the auction price has already
exceeded my budget & the reserve has not been met yet.

Just a thought....

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s.com

Dave

I operate a small home studio/project studio and use the 4412A's. I
drive them with a QSC MX1500A amp. I've had them for about six years now
and love them. Biggest problem I ever had with them was learning how to
"translate" what they do vs. how the mix will sound somewhere else. Once I
realized what I needed to hear in them I fell in love with 'em. I also use
Cerwin-Vega VS series regular stereo speakers. They are set up right along
with the 4412A's. I drive the C-V speakers with a moderately priced home
theater surround sound amp so I'll get the gist of what differences there
are between studio monitors and regular ol' home stereo speakers. The C-V
speakers have a little better definition and a boost of mid to upper mid
range frequencies so they are great for A/B comparison with the JBL's.
I worked in Nashville for a couple of years and had the chance to
listen to the ADAM speakers as well, specifically the S3-A and S4-A, and
they are bad-ass but way above my budget right now.
Just a personal opinion but speakers are the worst aspect of the whole
recording chain. The differences can be overwhelming and then there is
always the price vs. budget aspect of it all. I've seen guys mix with
computer speakers and get an absolutely ass-kicking mix. As long as the
client is happy....

et...