Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Donovan Digital Donovan Digital is offline

Default Preliminary thoughts on film location recording rig

Howdy all.
I'm a live/studio cat in the NYC burbs looking to dip his toes into
location recording. My stepfather, a semipro videographer, asked that
I specify two lav kits (mic, belt pack, reciever) and a mixer for
direct input to his handheld DV cam. Mic kits should be ~$300, mixer
should be ~$1.5k . Having access to some additional funding, I decided
this would be a great opportunity to look at longer-term options re
pooling resources with him for a larger location sound loadout and
then looking for work in the city.
Thoughts and activities so far;
Called full compass, they suggested I look at shure pgx series and
sennheiser freeport series. Will talk with them more tomorrow.
Went on ProductionHUB and looked at some of the loadouts on offer.
This clued me in to TRAM, and while most of their stuff is not in my
budget Full Compass are selling unterminated mics for ~$150. Now, my
electronics skill 0n a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being Michael Faraday) is
I would say a 4. If I could terminate these myself I would come in on
or close to budget.

for mixers I am looking at shure FP line.

Specific questions;
What are everyones thoughts re mics and mixer?
Is it a reasonable expectation at my skill level to terminate mics?
Is it, on balance, a rational strategy to attempt to get work in the
city in the next year? Two years? Three years? I'm semifamiliar with
the onramps; student projects, internships, etc.

On spending additional $;

Give him $ for better lavs;
Pros; cheap, build a strong base.
Cons; work options still limited;

Boom/shotgun
Pros; in demand
Cons; expensive, not immediately useful

Recorder
Pros; many uses
Cons; expensive if w/sync. Also, he already has a couple(2-track & 8-
track), dont know if they sync or not.

Clapboard/sync generator
Pros; pays well
Cons; not everyone needs it, a long time before its useful

Lotsa crap in one post, I know. Thanks a lot in advance for any/all
help.
Best
Joe Stavitsky

http://www.linkedin.com/in/jstavitsky