Bob DeYoung

Default 4 channel amp recommendation needed

I am in the market for a new 4 channel ampliifer with the following
requirements:

- 35-50 clean watts per channel (4 channels needed to drive 2 pairs of
speakers)

- Built in high pass crossovers (to filter out low frequencies going to
door speakers)

- If possible, has a way to drive my powered bazooka 8" sub (using RCA
levels does not cut it; needs speaker level)

- Under $200 $USD if at all possible.

My system installed in a '96 Ford Explorer XLT consists of:

Nakamichi CD head unit (just one pair of RCA outs; 2 volt)
4 each Boston Acoustics 5x7/6x8 speakers (2 in each door)

I had a Rockford 4600x amp (4 channel) but it appears to be fried. I
had my single set of RCA levels from the Nak HU running back to near
the amp, and each channel was run into it's own RCA y-splitter, and
then that split signal was fed the rear and front RCA inputs on the
amp. I had my sub being powered off of the amp's rear channel speaker
levels and it sounded quite good that way...plenty of volume for sure.

I don't need a top of the line amp or tons of power....a good, clean
low-mid powered amp like the 4600x was is fine for my application.

Thanks.

packrat014

The reserve on this beautiful a/d/s/ 4x50 amp is just in your price range:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

You should be able to drive one of the pairs of speakers and the inputs of
the Bazooka with half the amp (rear typically) and the front speakers with
the other half. However, in order to do that you'll need to use large
bipolar caps to high-pass the rear speakers as the amp crossover would have
to be run fullrange to have any bass content delivered to the Bazooka. The
fronts can still be high-passed with the internal amp crossover though. This
would be true of pretty much any 4-channel amp you buy.

One other plus is you can ditch the Y-splitters as the P450.2 has a 2/4
channel input parallel switch.

If you really want to improve things, buy the 6-channel model:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

and use the extra pair of channels to drive 150 bridged watts to a better
subwoofer solution, i.e. almost any decent driver in a properly sized/tuned
box, which will sound miles better than a Bazooka tube.

pr

[...]

Bob

packrat014 wrote:
:The reserve on this beautiful a/d/s/ 4x50 amp is just in your price range:
:
:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Thanks. Can someone point me to the manufacturer's website where I can see the full
product description and specs? I googled "a/d/s/ P450.2 4" and did not
get a whole lot.

Bob

Scotty wrote:

:Anything Alpine/Top end Soundstream/Pheonix Gold saphire maybe?

Thanks. The Soundstream Picasso line of amps appear to have the
features I am looking for and are also in my budget. Either the
PCA4.260 or PCA4.400.

http://www.soundstream.com/sub/produ...s_picasso.html

Any comments on them and/or Soundstream amps in general?

bob wald

i found a profile 4x60rms., $90.180rmsx2.
profile is as good are better than 88% of all amps.

Jon

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
I bought one of these at Christmas for my car and I love it. Puts out a
solid 50w x 4 at 12.5v and 70w x 4 at 14.4 which is typical for driving
voltage. Its sounds pretty clear with my aftermarket speakers and the
company is very dependable about shipping.
No problems with the amp either, even as a factory re-furb.
Good luck
Jon

Bob DeYoung wrote:
[...]

Bob

Jon wrote:
:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
:I bought one of these at Christmas for my car and I love it. Puts out a
:solid 50w x 4 at 12.5v and 70w x 4 at 14.4 which is typical for driving
:voltage. Its sounds pretty clear with my aftermarket speakers and the
:company is very dependable about shipping.
:No problems with the amp either, even as a factory re-furb.
:Good luck
:Jon

Looks interesting...I especially like the parallel input, which would
allow a 2 channel signal to drive all 4 channels. Crutchfield has it
on sale for $199.99.

I'm torn between this one and the Rockford Fosgate Punch P4004 for
about the same price, but leaning towards the Rockford simply by their
reputation and true specs.

bob wald

i'll stick with my profie ca440. $90. new.
60rmsx4 @14.4 i'll bet.180rmsx2, all 4ohm.

packrat014

www.adst.com

but they discontinued amps back a couple of years ago

the guides page only lists specs for the two bigger models

I'll e-mail you an electronic copy of the manual

pr