Default NAD amp distorting heavily after running a bass guitar through it.

My NAD 214 stereo amp is dead or dying. Any signal I run through it is
extremely distorted and I have to turn up the volume to even hear that.

Beginning a few months back it would sound fine and then all of a
sudden die and the sound would become horrible distorted. The time it
takes the amp to go from working fine to distortion box continually
shortens from 20 to 10 to 5 to 2 to 1 minutes. Now it doesn't work
for anytime at all.

I haven't been playing nice with it recently. I have run a microphone
and bass guitar through it. However, the amp had experienced the
problem I described above before this.

So my question is this: Is there any fundamental reason why running a
bass guitar or mic through this amp would hurt it? Also, does anyone
have any idea what might be wrong with my amp.

Thank you!
-Jon

Ps here is my setup in case it's helpful.
NAD 214 Stereo Amp
NAD 512 CD player
Adcom preamp
KEF Q55 speakers
Monster XP cables

Jerry G.

This amp was not designed to be used as a performance type music instrument
amp at high levels, such as with a bass guitar. The constant power demand,
must have over driven the output stage. The output transistors, pre-drivers,
and some support components are probably damaged. When I was servicing
these types of amplifiers, I used to see people damaging them like this from
time to time.

An experienced tech who is familiar with your amplifier model, with the
proper test gear and setup, can service your amplifier for you. It is a
matter of properly determining the damaged components, replacing them, and
making sure that the performance of it is back to specs.

A suggestion would be to get a proper bass guitar amplifier for playing your
guitar. Use this amplifier for listening to general music at moderate volume
settings, and it will give you good performance for many years without
failure.

--

Jerry G.
=====

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Gareth Magennis

Hi,

do (or did) both channels sound identical? If so there's a good chance you
haven't actually blown anything up and it may be a simpler power supply
problem.

Gareth.

ups.com...