Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] shaynestacy@gmail.com is offline

Default Microphones- help!!

Hi Everyone,
I've been taping live concerts since 1985, video since 1988, and DAT
since 1991. I just recently purchased a Panasonics AG-DVC30 pro
camcorder, and the internal mic is so bad on it that I need to break
down and buy a new mic. I have had some decent mics in the past- not
Schoeps or anything but I had a pair of nice Nak 300's and I have some
coresounds now.
So, what I'm looking for is a single condenser stereo microphone
that can be used with the camcorder and with my DAT. I know that most
quality microphones are mono mics so my options are limited for an
all-in-one stereo mic. I typically tape Indie and Punk Rock.

I have done some research and I found the following:

Rode NT4- The guy at Swee****er swears by this mic, but he has never
taped concerts with it. I saw on a forum for one of the jam bands that
this mic did not perform well- not bright enough. Anyone have any
experience with this one?

Sennheiser MKH418S: It's a shotgun mic, so it would be a pain to mount
to the camcorder and they are not very stealthy in DAT situations. But,
if the quality is right, I'll deal. Anyone with comments?

Crown SASSPMKII: I just don't know about this one. The reviews are
spectacular, but it is a PZM mic so I am afraid that it wont be
directional enough in DAT situations. Also, it looks weird and plastic?

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm looking to spend $1000 or
less.

Thanks,
Shayne

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
DC wrote:
wrote:

Crown SASSPMKII: I just don't know about this one. The reviews are
spectacular, but it is a PZM mic so I am afraid that it wont be
directional enough in DAT situations. Also, it looks weird and plastic?

A blast from the past! This is the only mic of the three that I've used
extensively. The recordings I've done with this have been extremely
realistic.

The SASS-P is really a neat gadget. It's very immune to placement issues,
and as such is a good mike for novices. You can toss it up just about
anywhere and get away with it. It's never the best possible mike in a
given situation, but it'll work in almost any.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

wrote:
[...]

Shure makes an MS microphone that will work in that situation and meets
your budget. VP88 It doesn't require Phantom Power. LF response is a
little light, and it is rather large, about 2x the size of an SM 57.

Speaking of large, the SASS-P is very large and only is stealthy
because nobody would recognize it as a microphone , but will sound
excellent. Pretty much what you hear is what you get.

If you are into a little more money, Sanken makes some excellent MS
microphones which are getting into the Neumann - Schoeps range.

They also have a couple which are more afordable as well as a shotgun
stereo microphone.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fletch Fletch is offline

wrote:
[...]

NT-4 not bright enough? It is two NT 5 capsules. I use the NT 5's as
overheads on our kit and it is more than plenty bright. Somebody isn't
doing something right if it lacks brightness.

--Fletch

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Fletch" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

They're probably just objecting to "room sound".

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] shaynestacy@gmail.com is offline

Thanks all!
I decided upon the VP-88. I loved that mic's results of some shows that
I had from the chicago area from 1993/4. Sure, it's a bit bulky but it
is versatile enough to go from camera to DAT. Thanks for the reminder-
I totally forgot about that mic until you mentioned it!

Shayne

Richard Kuschel wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro

shaynestacy wrote ...
I decided upon the VP-88. I loved that mic's results of some shows that
I had from the chicago area from 1993/4. Sure, it's a bit bulky but it
is versatile enough to go from camera to DAT. Thanks for the reminder-
I totally forgot about that mic until you mentioned it!

I have both a VP-88 and a Rode NT4.
The VP-88 has the reputation of being noisy and brittle-sounding,
and I would have to agree that I like the NT4 better

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
shaynestacy wrote ...
I decided upon the VP-88. I loved that mic's results of some shows that
I had from the chicago area from 1993/4. Sure, it's a bit bulky but it
is versatile enough to go from camera to DAT. Thanks for the reminder-
I totally forgot about that mic until you mentioned it!

I have both a VP-88 and a Rode NT4.
The VP-88 has the reputation of being noisy and brittle-sounding,
and I would have to agree that I like the NT4 better

The NT4 is pretty brittle-sounding too, though.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:03:47 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote
(in article ):

Richard Crowley wrote:
shaynestacy wrote ...
I decided upon the VP-88. I loved that mic's results of some shows that
I had from the chicago area from 1993/4. Sure, it's a bit bulky but it
is versatile enough to go from camera to DAT. Thanks for the reminder-
I totally forgot about that mic until you mentioned it!

I have both a VP-88 and a Rode NT4.
The VP-88 has the reputation of being noisy and brittle-sounding,
and I would have to agree that I like the NT4 better

The NT4 is pretty brittle-sounding too, though.
--scott

Hmm, not when we put one up as a drum overhead a few years back. Pretty thick
and fat when we got the placement right. To our pleasant surprise, it almost
sounded like we had a compressor on it.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] shaynestacy@gmail.com is offline

All-
Just so you know, my reasons for choosing the VP-88:

- When doing Single-camera rock video, you are typically not in a great
part of the club, acoustics-wise. Many time I am on stage and am only
picking up stage volume & monitors. The versatility of the VP-88 allows
me to roll-off bass if needed and to record a greater stereo spectrum.
The rode has none of those features.

- I saw a forum where a guy said the rode was great for drums, but he
tried it at a live show and was less than impressed.

So, thanks again. The sales guy at Swee****er reassured me that the
VP88 was the best way to go. He had originally offered the Rode but he
said once he saw the versatility of the VP88 it made sense for my app.

Shayne
Ty Ford wrote:
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:03:47 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote
(in article ):

shaynestacy wrote ...

stuff are at www.tyford.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Richard Crowley wrote:
shaynestacy wrote ...
I decided upon the VP-88. I loved that mic's results of some shows
that I had from the chicago area from 1993/4. Sure, it's a bit
bulky but it is versatile enough to go from camera to DAT. Thanks
for the reminder- I totally forgot about that mic until you
mentioned it!

I have both a VP-88 and a Rode NT4.
The VP-88 has the reputation of being noisy and brittle-sounding,
and I would have to agree that I like the NT4 better

The NT4 is pretty brittle-sounding too, though.

That's odd. NT4, 5, 55 don't seem to have that attribute from my eperience,
or anything I've read anywhere. Had somebody accidently knocked an EQ
up15dB ?

geoff