Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

Default Questions on Levels

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
dBFS has not got a damn thing to do with sine waves or reference levels
or anything in the analogue world.

Well actually *dB Full Scale*, by simple definition can be the *full scale
dB value* of any digital OR analog system. It's use now is more commonly
connected to digital systems of course.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Randy Yates" wrote in message
You guys have danced around this one all day. It's getting humorous.

That you expect a simple answer without providing any real definition is
humorous. There is no answer except when defined.
The only simple answer has been given many times, dBFS is simply the Full
Scale point of any relative power measurement scale as defined.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 11/19/2010 8:32 PM, Randy Yates wrote:

My question is this: What is the definition of dBFS?

Decibels relative to full scale.

Nonsense. All you've given is the meaning of the acronym, not an
engineering definition of the unit. This is similar to stating the
definition of RMS is "root mean square."

Question asked and answered. You've also had plenty of
people explain to you the significance of "full scale."
Ferchrissake, what more do you want to know?

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 11/19/2010 11:08 PM, Les Cargill wrote:

0dBFs is the upper limit for an instantaneous voltage
measure for
the output of a system of digital to analog conversion.

I'm still having a difficult time understanding what he
wants to be defined. We're telling him what 0 dBFS means
because that's really the only significant point in a
sampling system. He's asking for some arbitrary conversion
to a sine wave of arbitrary amplitude, and as far as I know,
there's no way to calculate that from anything but an
infinite number of samples. I don't have time for that.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Mr.T MrT@home wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
dBFS has not got a damn thing to do with sine waves or reference levels
or anything in the analogue world.

Well actually *dB Full Scale*, by simple definition can be the *full scale
dB value* of any digital OR analog system. It's use now is more commonly
connected to digital systems of course.

What is the full scale of an analogue system? Is it where it starts to
get nonlinear, where it gets really nonlinear, or where it stops and won't
go any more at all?

dBFS isn't really useful on a system that does not clip abruptly and
simultaneously on all stages.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Eric Jacobsen Eric Jacobsen is offline

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 23:01:58 -0500, Randy Yates
wrote:

(Eric Jacobsen) writes:

The ratio of the level measured to the Full Scale level provides the
argument for the logarithm, and the scaled result is dBFS.

"the level measured"? I can immediately think of three different ways to
measure levels.

And the point remains:

If you measure peak, then the peak is the value referenced to Full
Scale.

If you measure RMS, then the RMS level is the value reference to Full
Scale.

If you measure furriness, then the furriness is the value referneced
to Full Scale.

I really don't see the source of the confusion.

The odd part is that you're not seeing this after being told correctly
what it is several times.

You don't define it with any precision yourself, Eric.

It's a very simple definition. dB is always pretty simple, scale the
log of the ratio of the value measured to the reference level.

The only possible complication is keeping the units compatible between
the reference and the measured value. In this case Full Scale can be
thought of as an amplitude or a power reference (and probably
interpreted otherwise as well).

You should know all this, and I suspect you do. It puzzles me why
this seems difficult.

--
Randy Yates % "Rollin' and riding and slippin' and
Digital Signal Labs % sliding, it's magic."

Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
Abineau Communications
http://www.abineau.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Eric Jacobsen Eric Jacobsen is offline

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 21:26:21 +1100, "Mr.T" MrT@home wrote:

"rickman" wrote in message
None of the blind men are really right and none are wrong. In the
meantime no coherent picture of the dBFS elephant has emerged and more
disjointed statements are made on the topic.

It seems to me if you realise the Bell or dB is a RELATIVE LOG term of power
(and it's constituents) ratio's with no absolute UNLESS defined as a subset,
(eg dBv, dBu, dBm etc) then asking for a SINGLE absolute point of reference,
or single definition, is simply asking for the impossible.

dBFS is simply the *Full Scale* point of ANY system so defined. IF you want
it to mean anything specific, you must define it as such.

MrT.

Pretty much. As long as the units of the reference and the measured
value are compatible it's just an equation to plug into.

Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
Abineau Communications
http://www.abineau.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Eric Jacobsen Eric Jacobsen is offline

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 09:21:25 +0000 (UTC), glen herrmannsfeldt
wrote:

In comp.dsp Eric Jacobsen wrote:
(snip, someone wrote)

Nonsense. All you've given is the meaning of the acronym, not an
engineering definition of the unit. This is similar to stating the
definition of RMS is "root mean square."

(snip)

I think you're asking what color the sky is, and people are telling
you "blue", but you're expecting a wavelength or something, so you're
not accepting the answer.

As you know, dB measurements are always relative to some reference
level. With dBFS the reference level is Full Scale of the converter
or number system or whatever. The ratio of the level measured to the
Full Scale level provides the argument for the logarithm, and the
scaled result is dBFS.

But there is more to it than just the reference. Well, if you
just measure one sample then that is all, but for a signal
of some duration, it is more complicated. I can, for example,
compute RMS for a whole CD track. I could also compute the
mean of the absolute value, the geometric mean of the absolute
value, or many other mathematical functions of the samples.

If I have a sine that reaches peak at exactly a sample point,
and reaches full scale at that point, then RMS is 5 log(2),
or about 1.5dB lower. For mean absolute value, 10 log(2/pi),
or about 1.96dB lower.

Yup. If you have a different measure, you'll get a different value.
Why is that confusing? People in our area don't normally confuse
amplitude and power, or even various ways to measure power. Why does
it become so difficult when you plug it into a simple equation?

Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
Abineau Communications
http://www.abineau.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

In article , Randy Yates wrote:

If dBFS is defined as

dBFS = 20 * log_10(XRMS / (RMS value of full-scale sine wave),

where XRMS is the RMS value of the digital data stream, and you're
generating a "digital square wave," then you are wrong. The digital
square wave can go to +3dBFS as defined above.

dBFS has not got a damn thing to do with sine waves or reference levels
or anything in the analogue world.

When the input sensitivity of the convertor is considered we have a
basis upon which to spec the relationship between the analog and digital
levels.

This holds only for that make and model of converter set to that
particular sensitivity (is such is adjustable).

It has ONLY to do with how far a digital level is below the point at
which the digital value reaches full scale (all bits on).

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp

Randy Yates wrote:

(Scott Dorsey) writes:

In article , Randy Yates wrote:

If dBFS is defined as

dBFS = 20 * log_10(XRMS / (RMS value of full-scale sine wave),

where XRMS is the RMS value of the digital data stream, and you're
generating a "digital square wave," then you are wrong. The digital
square wave can go to +3dBFS as defined above.

dBFS has not got a damn thing to do with sine waves or reference levels
or anything in the analogue world.

Again, I'm not asking how it's not defined, I'm asking how it is
defined.

You guys have danced around this one all day. It's getting humorous.

It has ONLY to do with how far a digital level is below the point at
which the digital value reaches full scale (all bits on).

If you know what it means, and you're literate, then you should be able
to come up with a precise definition. I haven't seen one yet.

You have, but you aren't recognizing it, because it is not what you
expected it to be, Randy.

My Metric Halo converter has a wide range of available input
sensitivities. Set it to -10 and it can reach 0 dBFS. Set it to +4 and
it can reach 0 dBFS. For each of those conditions we can relate an
incoming analog signal level to a specific number of bits. Here's the
rub: in either case we can get 0 dBFS. In each case the corresponding
analog input level is quite different.

--
shut up and play your guitar *
http://hankalrich.com/
http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

PStamler wrote:

I smell a troll.

I think maybe not, based on Randy's previous postings. I think he's a
knowledgeable cat in the digital domain, has a basic understanding of
analog audio concepts, but isn't getting his head around this particular
question, now answered for him many times.

I think the answer is one he was not expecting, and like many engineers
who are appreciably rational, the irrational aspect of an audio metering
system in which the measured level increments need bear no specific
relationship to the corresponding analog signal levels is disturbing to
him.

When somebody asks a question and gets the precise answer from several
people at once, and keeps on arguing that nobody has given him the
answer, then a troll should be suspected.

I do understand that part of it, but unless someone has hijacked his
account I think he's just not getting it, and he might think we're
screwing around with him. All responses I have seen here have been well
intentioned.

0dBFS is the level at which one or the other extremes of a digital
waveform is at maximum codeable level.

Therefrom, the answer to his question can only be stated in absolute
terms when we know how many bits a given converter uses to convert an
analog signal of a particular level.

There are no established
standards relating that to any standards in the analog world, be they
dBu, dBV, dBm or any other. There are some informal standards in the
movie and broadcast world, but no standards body such as IEC or AES
has adopted an official standard.

And Randy, before you tell me "I don't want to know what isn't, I want
to know what is," what I've written above is what is (a definition of
dBFS), and there really ain't no more, and until a standards committee
gets together and votes out a standard, there won't be.

Peace,
Paul

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Steve King Steve King is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
| On 11/19/2010 11:08 PM, Les Cargill wrote:
|
| 0dBFs is the upper limit for an instantaneous voltage
| measure for
| the output of a system of digital to analog conversion.
|
| I'm still having a difficult time understanding what he
| wants to be defined. We're telling him what 0 dBFS means
| because that's really the only significant point in a
| sampling system. He's asking for some arbitrary conversion
| to a sine wave of arbitrary amplitude, and as far as I know,
| there's no way to calculate that from anything but an
| infinite number of samples. I don't have time for that.

Mike, he's just yanking your chain. He gets off on it. It has nothing to
do with anything but that.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
John O'Flaherty John O'Flaherty is offline

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 21:46:25 -0500, Randy Yates
wrote:

(Scott Dorsey) writes:

In article , Randy Yates wrote:

If dBFS is defined as

dBFS = 20 * log_10(XRMS / (RMS value of full-scale sine wave),

where XRMS is the RMS value of the digital data stream, and you're
generating a "digital square wave," then you are wrong. The digital
square wave can go to +3dBFS as defined above.

dBFS has not got a damn thing to do with sine waves or reference levels
or anything in the analogue world.

Again, I'm not asking how it's not defined, I'm asking how it is
defined.

You guys have danced around this one all day. It's getting humorous.

It has ONLY to do with how far a digital level is below the point at
which the digital value reaches full scale (all bits on).

If you know what it means, and you're literate, then you should be able
to come up with a precise definition. I haven't seen one yet.

The problem is that dB is defined as a unit of power, usually applied
to signals with some time duration. Obviously, a square wave at full
scale of a converter has more power than, say, a sine wave or a 1%
duty cycle signal at full scale. So, how can one define dBFS so it
represents how the figure is actually used? How about "a signal at 0
dBFS is one whose instantaneous power reaches but never exceeds the
instantaneous power associated with full scale of the converter"?
Modifying your formula above,
dBFS = 20 * log_10(peak signal voltage / converter maximum voltage)

--
John
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro

hank alrich wrote:

I think the answer is one he was not expecting, and like many engineers
who are appreciably rational, the irrational aspect of an audio metering
system in which the measured level increments need bear no specific
relationship to the corresponding analog signal levels is disturbing to
him.

I don't see what's irrational about that, because the way we think about
analogue and digital levels are so totally different. They really are
different things.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Al Clark Al Clark is offline

rickman wrote in news:27189e84-f6c3-4f34-8d1d-
:

On Nov 19, 10:42*pm, (Eric Jacobsen) wrote:
On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 20:32:08 -0500, Randy Yates
wrote:

Mike Rivers writes:

On 11/19/2010 7:52 PM, Randy Yates wrote:

My question is this: What is the definition of dBFS?

Decibels relative to full scale.

Nonsense. All you've given is the meaning of the acronym, not an
engineering definition of the unit. This is similar to stating the
definition of RMS is "root mean square."

[...]
But it's not defined that way.

I'm not asking how it's not defined. I'm asking how it is defined (in a
sensible way).

I think you're asking what color the sky is, and people are telling
you "blue", but you're expecting a wavelength or something, so you're
not accepting the answer.

As you know, dB measurements are always relative to some reference
level. * With dBFS the reference level is Full Scale of the converter
or number system or whatever. * The ratio of the level measured to the
Full Scale level provides the argument for the logarithm, and the
scaled result is dBFS.

If you can do dBm, or dBW, or dBC, you should be able to do dBFS.

The odd part is that you're not seeing this after being told correctly
what it is several times.

I think you are using an inappropriate metaphor. It is more like
Randy is asking what is the elephant like and the blind men are all
telling him something different in these two threads. One person says
0 dBFS is a sample of all 1's and all 0's is -96 dBFS (I won't even go
into what is wrong with that one)! Another describes how a VU meter
works. Yet another tells him 0 dBFS is the peak clipping point (that
one alone actually says somethng).

I'm not sure I want to jump in again at all, but here are a couple of
points:

1. I think I concur with Erik Jacobsen on definitions.

2. 0 dBFS does not mean the level of all 1s as someone suggested. It is the
value of the full scale range of the converter which is virtually always
expressed as twos complement in the audio world. This is either
0x7FFFFF...etc depending or word length for positive peaks or 0x80000...
for negative peaks. If we really wanted to nitpik, I suppose it should be
the positive value which is 1 bit less than the absolue value of full scale
negative. This distinction is meaningless in dB when the bit depth is
large.

3. dBFS does not by itself refer to rms levels at all. In a practical
system, there will be a relationship to the rms level of a sine wave to
dBFS. This is because the crest factor of a sine wave is fixed at 3dB. A
square wave has a crest factor of 0dB, music and voice has a crest factor
3dB in almost all cases. We can relate a the rms level of a +4dBu sinusoid
to an equivalent dBFS value only when we know the conversion. This may be
18 or 20 dB (or something else) and simply establishes the balance between
headroom and low level noise.

4. RMS measurements will also vary. In most cases, we will be using
exponential averaging with some arbitrary time constant. It really doesn't
matter whether we a considering signals in either the digital domain or
analog domain. With exponential averaging, the most recent signals
(samples) have more weight than earlier signals (samples). A long time
constant will yield a measurement that reflects the overall long term
level. A shorter time constant will accent more current events. A sinusoid
would measure the same assuming that the averaging filter has settled to a
steady state value. VU meters are similar where averaging is at least
partially the result of meter balistics. Like a typical low cost
multimeter, they may not be TRMS either.

Al Clark
www.danvillesignal.com

None of the blind men are really right and none are wrong. In the
meantime no coherent picture of the dBFS elephant has emerged and more
disjointed statements are made on the topic.

Another metaphor is that this is a can of worms!

Rick

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

wrote:

(Scott Dorsey) writes:

[...]

YES!!! Thank you, John!

Obviously, a square wave at full scale of a converter has more power
than, say, a sine wave or a 1% duty cycle signal at full scale. So,
how can one define dBFS so it represents how the figure is actually
used?

Not a bad question, but I was hoping there was _THE_ definition.
Apparently there is not. And this is really the crux of the issue (for
dBFS). Some people say it's a peak (instantaneous) measurement, yet I
see meters that use it for RMS measurements. I'm afraid the truth is
that there is no universal meaning for it like there is for dBm, dBV,
and several other dB units.

How about "a signal at 0 dBFS is one whose instantaneous power

I'm not comfortable with the concept of "instantaneous power." Rather, I
think we have to just concede that the "dB" sometimes breaks tradition
and works with instantanous quantities rather than power.

reaches but never exceeds the instantaneous power associated with full
scale of the converter"? Modifying your formula above, dBFS = 20 *
log_10(peak signal voltage / converter maximum voltage)

That is essentially what I wrote last night. Thanks for your input, John.
--
Randy Yates % "Maybe one day I'll feel her cold embrace,
Digital Signal Labs % and kiss her interface,
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp

wrote:

(Scott Dorsey) writes:

[...]

FFS. The dB is NOT a unit of anything. It is a ratio expressed in log
form for convenience (to avoid huge numbers). Nothing more and nothing
less.

Obviously, a square wave at full scale of a converter has more power
than, say, a sine wave or a 1% duty cycle signal at full scale. So,
how can one define dBFS so it represents how the figure is actually
used?

Not a bad question, but I was hoping there was _THE_ definition.
Apparently there is not. And this is really the crux of the issue (for
dBFS). Some people say it's a peak (instantaneous) measurement, yet I
see meters that use it for RMS measurements. I'm afraid the truth is
that there is no universal meaning for it like there is for dBm, dBV,
and several other dB units.

This is getting increasingly ridiculous. FS is simply the point at
which you hit the ceiling. There is no more. You have limited. dBFS is
the ratio of the present signal to that ceiling. The relevant
measurement is instantaneous - this very next sample is the one you
have to care about. Normal good practice would suggest that you keep
between 10 and 20dB below to allow for the unexpected. If you do that,
you won't be troubled by either overload or noise.

How about "a signal at 0 dBFS is one whose instantaneous power

I'm not comfortable with the concept of "instantaneous power." Rather, I
think we have to just concede that the "dB" sometimes breaks tradition
and works with instantanous quantities rather than power.

There is no problem with instantaneous power. Instantaneous energy is
the one you can't be doing with. That final sentence of yours is
simply gibberish.

reaches but never exceeds the instantaneous power associated with full
scale of the converter"? Modifying your formula above, dBFS = 20 *
log_10(peak signal voltage / converter maximum voltage)

That is essentially what I wrote last night. Thanks for your input, John.

How many people have slightest idea what power their converters will
handle? Everybody thinks in terms of voltage, which is the fixed term
in non-matched systems such as audio gear.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp

wrote:

(Scott Dorsey) writes:

[...]

Except he's wrong.

As others have said, dB is a way of rescaling and is independent of
the units involved or the characteristics of the measurement. It is
simply the scaled log of a ratio, where one of the terms in the ratio
is a reference level. If the reference level and the measurement
have units of power, then the resulting dB value will have units of
power, and will usually reflect that, e.g., dBm, dBW, etc. If the
reference level and measurement have units of amplitude, then the
output will generally reflect that as well, e.g., dBV.

Perhaps the confusion is that FS is unitless and can be anything;
power, amplitude, time, price, whatever. Since it is just a
reference to a number within a number system, the output will then
have the units of whatever that number represents. Meanwhile, since
it is just a number within a particular dynamic range indicated by FS,
dBFS is still a useful expression for evaluating a system.

But it is not inherently power or amplitude or anything. It takes on
the units (or unitlessness) of whatever the number system represents.

Obviously, a square wave at full scale of a converter has more power
than, say, a sine wave or a 1% duty cycle signal at full scale. So,
how can one define dBFS so it represents how the figure is actually
used?

Not a bad question, but I was hoping there was _THE_ definition.
Apparently there is not. And this is really the crux of the issue (for
dBFS). Some people say it's a peak (instantaneous) measurement, yet I
see meters that use it for RMS measurements. I'm afraid the truth is
that there is no universal meaning for it like there is for dBm, dBV,
and several other dB units.

dBx always takes on the units of the input values. The reference and
the measurement have to have the same units for the result to be
meaningful.

How about "a signal at 0 dBFS is one whose instantaneous power

I'm not comfortable with the concept of "instantaneous power." Rather, I
think we have to just concede that the "dB" sometimes breaks tradition
and works with instantanous quantities rather than power.

It can be anything. Instantaneous, averaged, glacial, whatever.
Time may not be involved at all, or it might be.

reaches but never exceeds the instantaneous power associated with full
scale of the converter"? Modifying your formula above, dBFS = 20 *
log_10(peak signal voltage / converter maximum voltage)

That is essentially what I wrote last night. Thanks for your input, John.
--
Randy Yates % "Maybe one day I'll feel her cold embrace,
Digital Signal Labs % and kiss her interface,
% til then, I'll leave her alone."
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com % 'Yours Truly, 2095', *Time*, ELO

Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
Abineau Communications
http://www.abineau.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

(Don Pearce) writes:
[...]
FFS. The dB is NOT a unit of anything. It is a ratio expressed in log
form for convenience (to avoid huge numbers). Nothing more and nothing
less.

"dB" is a ratio of powers.

http://www.digitalsignallabs.com/db.pdf

"dBm", "dBV", etc., are units.
--
Randy Yates % "...the answer lies within your soul
Digital Signal Labs % 'cause no one knows which side
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 15:57:15 -0500, Randy Yates
wrote:

(Don Pearce) writes:
[...]
FFS. The dB is NOT a unit of anything. It is a ratio expressed in log
form for convenience (to avoid huge numbers). Nothing more and nothing
less.

"dB" is a ratio of powers.

Quite, but provided you don't change the impedances in the meantime it
is also a ratio of voltages or currents.

http://www.digitalsignallabs.com/db.pdf

"dBm", "dBV", etc., are units.

The "m" and the "V" are the units, not the "dB" part.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
John O'Flaherty John O'Flaherty is offline

wrote:

(Scott Dorsey) writes:

[...]

But it isn't an independent way of rescaling a measurement. If it
were, then the formula for dB as a ratio of voltages would have the
same form as that for a ratio of powers: 10 * log(v2/v1). The fact
that it has 20 means that it is squaring the voltage ratio to make it
a power ratio (implicitly assuming constant impedance). It's a hybrid
system of units when it is dBV, but it still represents a power ratio.
Wikipedia offers this definition for "decibel":
"A ratio in decibels is ten times the logarithm to base 10 of the
ratio of two power quantities.", citing this:
" IEEE Standard 100 Dictionary of IEEE Standards Terms, Seventh
Edition, The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, New
York, 2000; ISBN 0-7381-2601-2; page 288"

This isn't to say that it's not used otherwise, but that's the
definition.

[...]

It's true that the input units must be the same, but dB is actually
unitless, since it's a ratio of two like units.
Again, from Wikipedia:
"Being a ratio of two measurements of a physical quantity in the same
units, it is a dimensionless unit."

How about "a signal at 0 dBFS is one whose instantaneous power

I'm not comfortable with the concept of "instantaneous power." Rather, I
think we have to just concede that the "dB" sometimes breaks tradition
and works with instantanous quantities rather than power.

It can be anything. Instantaneous, averaged, glacial, whatever.
Time may not be involved at all, or it might be.

reaches but never exceeds the instantaneous power associated with full
scale of the converter"? Modifying your formula above, dBFS = 20 *
log_10(peak signal voltage / converter maximum voltage)

That is essentially what I wrote last night. Thanks for your input, John.

--
John
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Ala Ala is offline

"rickman" wrote in message
None of the blind men are really right and none are wrong. In the
meantime no coherent picture of the dBFS elephant has emerged and more
disjointed statements are made on the topic.

As I've said and repeat again

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article , Randy Yates wrote:
(Don Pearce) writes:
[...]
FFS. The dB is NOT a unit of anything. It is a ratio expressed in log
form for convenience (to avoid huge numbers). Nothing more and nothing
less.

"dB" is a ratio of powers.

dB is a ratio.

dBft and dBlb to talk about decibels with respect to a foot or a pound
are perfectly reasonable.

Probably the most common measurement, dBSPL, is actually referenced to a
pressure.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
rickman rickman is offline

On Nov 20, 4:04*pm, Randy Yates wrote:
(Eric Jacobsen) writes:
[...]
It can be anything.

Thanks for your input, Eric. I realize this is honestly what you
believe, but I'm not sure I agree with it.
--
Randy Yates * * * * * * * * * * *% "How's life on earth?
Digital Signal Labs * * * * * * *% *... What is it worth?"

Why do you have a problem with instantaneous power? Power is a rate,
just like speed. Energy per unit time / distance per unit time. Of
course no measurement of any kind can be done instantaneously, but
that is more an issue of quantum mechanics than a theoretical issue.
If you can perform measurements at a point in time that allow power to
be calculated such as voltage/current/resistance, you can calculate
instantaneous power. RMS is just a way to calculating an average
power of a varying signal. But it is found by using an integral of an
infinite number of power points or in the discrete domain, a sum of
many discrete powers. If the instantaneous or discrete powers don't
exist, how can the integral or sum exist?

Rick

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
dBFS has not got a damn thing to do with sine waves or reference levels
or anything in the analogue world.

Well actually *dB Full Scale*, by simple definition can be the *full

scale
dB value* of any digital OR analog system. It's use now is more commonly
connected to digital systems of course.

What is the full scale of an analogue system? Is it where it starts to
get nonlinear, where it gets really nonlinear, or where it stops and won't
go any more at all?

Right. With an analog meter it's full scale point is obvious. But power
supply limitations mean there is always a maximum point that cannot be
exceeded in any system. It gets a bit harder to define when you consider
power supply regulation etc. But as I said, it's the *definition* that
counts. not necessarily the real world practical implementations.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Les Cargill Les Cargill is offline

Randy Yates wrote:
(Don Pearce) writes:
[...]
FFS. The dB is NOT a unit of anything. It is a ratio expressed in log
form for convenience (to avoid huge numbers). Nothing more and nothing
less.

"dB" is a ratio of powers.

.... into a fixed 600 ohm impedance, so they
have a mathematical dual in swings in voltage
(which is much more convenient to measure ).

http://www.digitalsignallabs.com/db.pdf

"dBm", "dBV", etc., are units.

They're still unitless. The specializations just let you know
some measure of detail about how many dimensions are represented
for cases like power vs. voltage...

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Eric Jacobsen Eric Jacobsen is offline

wrote:

(Scott Dorsey) writes:

[...]

The issue is that it's muddy and not consistently used and hasn't been
nearly since inception. Antenna gains, e.g., dBi, Sound pressures,
e.g., dBSPL, radar cross sectional area, dBsm, bandwidth, e.g., dBHz,
and the current topic, dBFS, are often used with or implemented with
power measurements, but they aren't really power, and sometimes don't
have anything to do with power.

The point is that it's just an equation to plug numbers into, and the
meaning is only relevant to the interpretation of what got plugged in.

Things like dBFS, or even dBC or other common applications of
deciBels, are very often ambiguous and have to have additional context
or explanation if one really wants to remove all ambiguity.

Get a group of comm engineers in a room and see if anybody agrees on
the definition of SNR. Hint: don't get people started. There is no
single definition. deciBels are a similar animal. e.g., what is
power? What kind of power? RMS? Peak? Which is appropriate for
dB?

There are common uses that usually apply, but there are enough
inconsistencies that one has to be very careful. When writing, if in
doubt, spell it out. When reading, if in doubt, don't assume
anything, because it could be anything.

[...]

It is a dimensionless unit, but it can preserve the dimensions of the
input value. Or reflect them, whatever you want to call it.
Provide any quantity in dBm, or dBW, and without any other information
you also know the power level dimensions without ambiguity. That's
an odd thing to be able to do with a dimensionless number or a
dimensionles unit, whatever you wish to call it.

So one has to keep track of what's going on, regardless of what
Wikipedia says. Experienced people still get tripped up on it all
the time.

How about "a signal at 0 dBFS is one whose instantaneous power

I'm not comfortable with the concept of "instantaneous power." Rather, I
think we have to just concede that the "dB" sometimes breaks tradition
and works with instantanous quantities rather than power.

It can be anything. Instantaneous, averaged, glacial, whatever.
Time may not be involved at all, or it might be.

reaches but never exceeds the instantaneous power associated with full
scale of the converter"? Modifying your formula above, dBFS = 20 *
log_10(peak signal voltage / converter maximum voltage)

That is essentially what I wrote last night. Thanks for your input, John.

--
John

Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
Abineau Communications
http://www.abineau.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Eric Jacobsen Eric Jacobsen is offline

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 15:57:15 -0500, Randy Yates
wrote:

(Don Pearce) writes:
[...]
FFS. The dB is NOT a unit of anything. It is a ratio expressed in log
form for convenience (to avoid huge numbers). Nothing more and nothing
less.

"dB" is a ratio of powers.

http://www.digitalsignallabs.com/db.pdf

"dBm", "dBV", etc., are units.

Except it's not always. See my note to John O'Flaherty. Not all dBs
are created equal.

--
Randy Yates % "...the answer lies within your soul
Digital Signal Labs % 'cause no one knows which side
% the coin will fall."
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com % 'Big Wheels', *Out of the Blue*, ELO

Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
Abineau Communications
http://www.abineau.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
davew davew is offline

On Nov 21, 5:31*am, (Eric Jacobsen) wrote:
On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 15:57:15 -0500, Randy Yates
wrote:

(Don Pearce) writes:
[...]
FFS. The dB is NOT a unit of anything. It is a ratio expressed in log
form for convenience (to avoid huge numbers). Nothing more and nothing
less.

"dB" is a ratio of powers.

*http://www.digitalsignallabs.com/db.pdf

"dBm", "dBV", etc., are units.

Except it's not always. * See my note to John O'Flaherty. *Not all dBs
are created equal.

--
Randy Yates * * * * * * * * * * *% "...the answer lies within your soul
Digital Signal Labs * * * * * * *% * * * 'cause no one knows which side
* * * * *% * * * * * * * * * the coin will fall."
http://www.digitalsignallabs.com% *'Big Wheels', *Out of the Blue*, ELO

Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
Abineau Communicationshttp://www.abineau.com

I don't know why there is so much confusion in this thread.
0 dBV = 1V. It is unambiguously 1V i.e. one volt, not just "one"
That's why it has a "V" slapped on the end.
0dB = 1 - just "one"
Dave.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp

On 11/20/2010 3:09 PM, Randy Yates wrote:

(for
dBFS). Some people say it's a peak (instantaneous) measurement, yet I
see meters that use it for RMS measurements. I'm afraid the truth is
that there is no universal meaning for it like there is for dBm, dBV,
and several other dB units.

You're still not getting it, Randy. 0 dBFS has a precise
definition. What it doesn't have (and you seem to object to
"not definitions") is a magnitude, either voltage or power,
that relates the maximum digital number that a system
component can deal with to a physical property that can be
measured. You don't MEASURE dBFS, you look at the number
represented by the bits at some time and that's it.

If you were to take a bunch of samples of program material
over time, represent them as dB relative to digital full
scale, and plug them into the general RMS formula, you could
indeed come up with an RMS value for that set of numbers.
But what would be the value of that information? It will
always be below zero, but you can't just crank up the level
until your "RMS dBFS" is closer to zero unless you don't
care about clipping or you're working with a known,
continuous waveform.

So you're getting engineering answers. We tend to be
practical folk, and use concepts that are physically
meaningful, not purely theoretical.

I'm not comfortable with the concept of "instantaneous power." Rather, I
think we have to just concede that the "dB" sometimes breaks tradition
and works with instantanous quantities rather than power.

Initially dB referred to power because the Bel was a measure
of acoustic energy (which becomes power when related by
time). But it's always been a ratio to a given reference.
The Telephone Company (tm) defined a Transmission Unit as
the amount of attenuation in a mile of cable that could just
be detected by an average listener. This was important in
the days when you had to talk louder when making a long
distance call. It turned out that 1/10 of a Bel was about
equivalent to a Transmission Unit, so the deciBEL became a
useful measure.

As commonly used today, dB without any modifiers is usually
understood to be sound pressure level referenced to a
specific pressure in Pascals. We have "units" like dBA,
which means sound pressure measured through a bandpass
filter of a known transfer function. We have the "20"
formula for dB as a ratio since power is the product of two
physical quantities (voltage and current) where voltage is
only one, so we make then numbers work by compensating for
the "squared" term in the power equation.

If you have a dollar and I have fifty cents, you can say you
have 6 dB more money than I have (or maybe 3 dB more
spending power). If a TV station increases its power from
50,000 watts to 100,000 watts, that's a 3 dB increase. If
the digitized value of a sample is 1 bit smaller than
another sample, that's half the value, so we say that its
amplitude is 6 dB lower. If 1111111111111111 (that's 15 bits
plus the first bit representing the sign) is full scale,
then 111111111111111 is -6 dBFS.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Eric Jacobsen Eric Jacobsen is offline

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 08:46:10 -0500, Mike Rivers
wrote:

[...]

I think this is exemplary of one issue. This may be true in your
area of work, that dB without a modifier has to do with sound
pressure, but in communications dB without a modifier is generally
representative of a unitless scale factor in a system. e.g., an
amplifier that increases the signal power by a factor or ten has 10dB
of gain. If 0dBW goes in, 10dBW comes out, if 0dBm goes in, 10dBm
comes out.

Since logarithms convert multiplication to addition, any application
of a scale factor in a signal chain, due to gain (e.g., amplifier) or
attenuation, (e.g., cable loss), can be represented in dB (without a
modifier). Antenna gain has this characteristic, but then it gets a
modifier (usually dBi) to indicate which sort of antenna provides the
reference gain.

So dB without a modifier is usually representative of a dimensionless
scale factor in the signal chain.

But not always.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp

wrote:

As commonly used today, dB without any modifiers is usually
understood to be sound pressure level referenced to a
specific pressure in Pascals.

I think this is exemplary of one issue. This may be true in your
area of work, that dB without a modifier has to do with sound
pressure, but in communications dB without a modifier is generally
representative of a unitless scale factor in a system. e.g., an
amplifier that increases the signal power by a factor or ten has 10dB
of gain. If 0dBW goes in, 10dBW comes out, if 0dBm goes in, 10dBm
comes out.

I believe that Mike is incorrect in this. Some people DO use "dB" to
mean "dBSPL." However, those people are wrong.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp

On 11/21/2010 11:01 AM, Eric Jacobsen wrote:

in communications dB without a modifier is generally
representative of a unitless scale factor in a system.

You mean they actually get it right? Really, audio people
for the most part understand this as well, and they know
that gain or signal-to-noise ratio is expressed simply as
"dB." However then you see spec sheets that read: "Noise:
-86 dB" and you don't know what they're talking about. If
it's electronics, it's surely not SPL. It's probably dBu but
only your hairdresser knows for sure.

amplifier that increases the signal power by a factor or ten has 10dB
of gain. If 0dBW goes in, 10dBW comes out, if 0dBm goes in, 10dBm
comes out.

In the RF world, you put power into an amplifier and get
more power out. You have to. It goes with the territory. At
the frequencies where you're working, it's important to
provide the proper load impedance for the feedline in order
to avoid loss from standing waves. But this tread initiated
(at least for me) in rec.audio.pro and had audio
connotations, so let's stick to audio.

In audio you put voltage into a signal processor (like an
equalizer, compressor, or even a mic preamp) and you get
voltage out. You can make sense of a gain specification or
measurement in dB. You put voltage into a power amplifier
and you (intend to) get power out, so dB of gain doesn't
make much sense. Nor does it when you put in voltage and get
a digital word out.

So dB without a modifier is usually representative of a dimensionless
scale factor in the signal chain.
But not always.

My statement that it CONVENTIONALLY represented sound
pressure level doesn't mean that it's correct. It's a
reasonably well understood mistake, or bad shorthand. Take
your pick.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Fred Marshall[_2_] Fred Marshall[_2_] is offline

wrote:

As commonly used today, dB without any modifiers is usually
understood to be sound pressure level referenced to a
specific pressure in Pascals.

I think this is exemplary of one issue. This may be true in your
area of work, that dB without a modifier has to do with sound
pressure, but in communications dB without a modifier is generally
representative of a unitless scale factor in a system. e.g., an
amplifier that increases the signal power by a factor or ten has 10dB
of gain. If 0dBW goes in, 10dBW comes out, if 0dBm goes in, 10dBm
comes out.

I believe that Mike is incorrect in this. Some people DO use "dB" to
mean "dBSPL." However, those people are wrong.
--scott

In decades of working with sound, I have always heard coloquially "dB"
but it was always understood to mean "dB" relative to 1 micropascal for
underwater applications (up to 1970 it had been the microbar so we had
to add 100dB to absolute levels thereafter) and relative to 20
micropascals for airborne sound.
You can Google enough references to the need for knowing the particular
reference system you're using....

When you're in a system or physical context then it's shorthand to say
"dB" for absolute levels - but everyone who has thought about it even
just a little bit understands what they really mean. It was one of the
*first* things I learned out of school in the real world of acoustics.

Then, as one switches from underwater to air and vice versa, we
understand that the SPL absolute reference changes as above.

I don't think that Mike is wrong - he did say "referenced to a specific
pressure". In communications had been pretty typical to talk about "dB"
in reference to *particular* voltage levels.

That said, I won't argue against it being a unitless measure in a system
- as it is, after all, all about ratios.

It depends on your context. The amplifier example is a good one. But,
in that case we're talking in the context of out/in ratio. In system
examples we often talk about *absolute* levels and need a reference
level to do so. In other cases we do talk about out/in ratios: e.g.
transmission loss and the absolute level issue isn't included.

Here's a system example - it could be sonar or space communications or
.......:

We start with a transmitter with output of "150 dB". Well, that means
relative to something - it's a statement of absolute level.
Then, we run the transmitter output through a channel that attenuates
the signal by 100 dB. This statement of "dB" is purely a ratio with no
reference level involved as it is the ratio of in/out .
Then, we receive the signal and we're interested in the absolute level
being received because we have a transducer conversion to deal with and
environmental noise to overcome and system noise to overcome.
The absolute level received in this case is:
150 - 100 = 50 dB relative to our original reference.

Notice that here we mix references to fixed absolute levels with
references to pure ratios in order to get what we need. So, both uses
are appropriate.

The logs just make it easier to compute and to comprehend when one is
used to it. This is no different than saying:

200upa/10^5 = 0.002upa
or
7w/m^2/10^10 = 0.007uW/m^2

which both use a ratio equivalent to 100dB.

Fred

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
John O'Flaherty John O'Flaherty is offline

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 05:23:37 GMT, (Eric
Jacobsen) wrote:

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:19:53 -0600, John O'Flaherty
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 20:44:55 GMT,
(Eric

wrote:

(Scott Dorsey) writes:

[...]

But antenna gains are compared to the power provided by an isotropic
antenna, aren't they? For dBSPL, it's a power measurement too. Though
it's called a pressure level, the defining formula involves pressure
squared, so it should be interpreted as the pressure corresponding to
a particular power level. What criterion do you use to decide whether
to include a factor of 10 or a factor of 20 in your formula?

The point is that it's just an equation to plug numbers into, and the
meaning is only relevant to the interpretation of what got plugged in.

Things like dBFS, or even dBC or other common applications of
deciBels, are very often ambiguous and have to have additional context
or explanation if one really wants to remove all ambiguity.

Get a group of comm engineers in a room and see if anybody agrees on
the definition of SNR. Hint: don't get people started. There is no
single definition. deciBels are a similar animal. e.g., what is
power? What kind of power? RMS? Peak? Which is appropriate for
dB?

Power is rate of transfer of energy, and its time distribution, its
form, and its location of measurement require further specification,
but I don't see why dB shouldn't be applicable to all cases.

There are common uses that usually apply, but there are enough
inconsistencies that one has to be very careful. When writing, if in
doubt, spell it out. When reading, if in doubt, don't assume
anything, because it could be anything.

Perhaps the confusion is that FS is unitless and can be anything;
power, amplitude, time, price, whatever. Since it is just a
reference to a number within a number system, the output will then
have the units of whatever that number represents. Meanwhile, since
it is just a number within a particular dynamic range indicated by FS,
dBFS is still a useful expression for evaluating a system.

But it is not inherently power or amplitude or anything. It takes on
the units (or unitlessness) of whatever the number system represents.

Why then is a factor of 20 used for voltages rather than a factor of
10? Are there any actual examples of the use of dBFS that don't relate
to a full-scale voltage or current? Of course, the FS has to be
defined- voltage current, pressure. But I bet that anyone who was
using a full scale defined in terms of power would use a formula with
a factor of 10, not 20.

[...]

Yes, dB per se is unitless but dBm and dBW aren't. +20 dB has no
units, but +20 dBm means 100 milliwatts. If you append RMS to dB,
that's a procedural specification, and you can have +10 dBVRMS, where
a unit is specified as well as the measurement procedure.
I agree that everything should be specified; nevertheless, if dB is
used for something that is not power, or not directly relatable to
power, I think it's being misused.

How about "a signal at 0 dBFS is one whose instantaneous power

I'm not comfortable with the concept of "instantaneous power." Rather, I
think we have to just concede that the "dB" sometimes breaks tradition
and works with instantanous quantities rather than power.

It can be anything. Instantaneous, averaged, glacial, whatever.
Time may not be involved at all, or it might be.

reaches but never exceeds the instantaneous power associated with full
scale of the converter"? Modifying your formula above, dBFS = 20 *
log_10(peak signal voltage / converter maximum voltage)

That is essentially what I wrote last night. Thanks for your input, John.

--
John
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Nov 21, 12:16*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

I believe that Mike is incorrect in this. *Some people DO use "dB" to
mean "dBSPL." *However, those people are wrong.

Scott, we had this debate here a couple of years ago, and what it came
down to was a discussion between what would in the world of
lexicography be called prescriptivists and descriptivists. A
prescriptivist writes a dictionary to tell people what words mean and
how they should be used. A descriptivist writes a dictionary to tell
what people mean by words and how they use them. It's a philosophical
and practical division.

So a descriptivist would say that one meaning for dB is as a shorthand
for dBSPL, which is how a lot of audio engineers use it. A
prescriptivist would say, as you did, that's wrong, because it doesn't
correspond with the officially-defined meaning of dB.

More to the point, someone who uses "dB" to mean the voltage gain of
something, ignoring the power aspects, is violating the official
definition. But that usage is near-universal among audio circuit
designers, who talk about opanp circuits with "20dB of gain", and mean
a voltage gain of 10x, with no reference to impedance or power. They
may even refer to dB of gain in a transformer, which can never have
any power gain, being a passive device.

Whether you accept that this is the usage of the population, or
condemn it as wrong, is a choice, just as a dictionary-maker must
choose whether to be prescriptivist or descriptivist. The fact is that
the speech of the community has taken a turn which deviates
significantly from the official standards.

Parenthetically, we invented dBu as a standard when people stopped
using dBm; perhaps it's time to invent dBG for voltage gain
situations.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
John O'Flaherty John O'Flaherty is offline

On Sun, 21 Nov 2010 15:18:08 -0800 (PST), PStamler
wrote:

[...]

There is a sense in which calling a voltage gain of 10 a gain of 20 dB
does refer to power. In a circuit in which nothing is changed but that
gain (including output loading and input signal level), if that gain
is reduced to 0 dB, the output power level will be reduced by a factor
of 100.
Similarly, suppose a converter is fed a signal that runs it at a level
of -6 dBFS. Halving the input power (f.e., by decreasing a voltage
input by a factor of 1.414) will shift the converter to -9 dBFS.
Quadrupling the input power by doubling the input level will move the
converter to 0 dBFS. The output powers will show the same dB changes
(assuming linearity and no tricks).
I believe these examples show the power nature of dB measurements.

--
John
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
John O'Flaherty John O'Flaherty is offline

wrote:

[...]

I misspoke on that last sentence; there is no physical power
associated with the numbers from a converter. But if and when the
output is converted to analog again, the system output will reflect
the power changes.

I believe these examples show the power nature of dB measurements.

--
John
Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,comp.dsp
Eric Jacobsen Eric Jacobsen is offline

Jacobsen) wrote:

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 17:19:53 -0600, John O'Flaherty
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 20:44:55 GMT,
(Eric

wrote:

(Scott Dorsey) writes:

[...]

Like any computation, dimensional analysis suggests one uses whatever
makes the computation consistent so that the result is useful.

Consider an amplifer (which is pretty much the same as an antenna for
this purpose, gain is gain). If one were comparing voltage gain,
then one has to be consistent with that. If one is comparing (or
computing) power gain, then one has to be consistent with that.
Power is the most convenient partly because it removes the ambiguity
associated with impedance. So that gets used most often, hence the
additional factor of two when using voltages for most cases.

The "10" is pretty much an arbitrary scale factor, and it turns into
"20" so that people can mix power and voltage measures (with careful
assumptions).

The point is that it's just an equation to plug numbers into, and the
meaning is only relevant to the interpretation of what got plugged in.

Things like dBFS, or even dBC or other common applications of
deciBels, are very often ambiguous and have to have additional context
or explanation if one really wants to remove all ambiguity.

Get a group of comm engineers in a room and see if anybody agrees on
the definition of SNR. Hint: don't get people started. There is no
single definition. deciBels are a similar animal. e.g., what is
power? What kind of power? RMS? Peak? Which is appropriate for
dB?

Power is rate of transfer of energy, and its time distribution, its
form, and its location of measurement require further specification,
but I don't see why dB shouldn't be applicable to all cases.

It is applicable, but it's not as clearly defined as some think or are
at least expressing here. Power measurement, as you just said,
requires integration over time. How much time? It is often
(usually) not specified, so there's already ambiguity in the
"definition" or "standard". "Instantaneous power" is a hand-wavy way
around that, but you can't measure that practically, so time
integration is required. How much is up to the implementer.

There are common uses that usually apply, but there are enough
inconsistencies that one has to be very careful. When writing, if in
doubt, spell it out. When reading, if in doubt, don't assume
anything, because it could be anything.

Perhaps the confusion is that FS is unitless and can be anything;
power, amplitude, time, price, whatever. Since it is just a
reference to a number within a number system, the output will then
have the units of whatever that number represents. Meanwhile, since
it is just a number within a particular dynamic range indicated by FS,
dBFS is still a useful expression for evaluating a system.

But it is not inherently power or amplitude or anything. It takes on
the units (or unitlessness) of whatever the number system represents.

Why then is a factor of 20 used for voltages rather than a factor of
10?

To make voltage and power measurements compatible.

Are there any actual examples of the use of dBFS that don't relate
to a full-scale voltage or current? Of course, the FS has to be
defined- voltage current, pressure. But I bet that anyone who was
using a full scale defined in terms of power would use a formula with
a factor of 10, not 20.

Actually, dBFS implies a digital number scale system, so the
traditional notions of voltage or current or power don't really even
apply any more. The analysis is performed on a numeric sequence,
which could represent anything. A single sample can be taken from
the numeric sequence, say X, and dBFS could be computed as either

ans = 10*log(X/FS) if one were interested in interpreting X as an
instantaneous power measurement (and ADCs often have internal
integration over some fraction of the sample period so that can be
argued). This follows the definition of RMS for a numeric sequence
when n = 1, as long as X is positive.

or

ans = 10*log(X/FS) if one were interested in interpreting X as a
voltage.

I'd suggest, though, that one use whatever is consistent with the rest
of the analysis being performed.

There's nothing magical about the factor of 10 or 20. As always, one
just has to keep track of what one is doing and be consistent to get a
useful result.

[...]

dBm and dBW are, actually, strictly speaking, still unitless or
dimensionless. The units cancel in the ratio of the reference and the
measurement, which HAVE to have the same units to get a meaningful
result. dBm and dBW (and others, but definitely not all) have the
odd property that they completely define a dimension, despite being
dimensionless. They still carry or reflect (or whatever) the
indicated dimensional unit with the quantity conveyed. Sort of.
IMHO, that's actually a hint that one has to pay attention to what one
is doing to get usable results.

How about "a signal at 0 dBFS is one whose instantaneous power

I'm not comfortable with the concept of "instantaneous power." Rather, I
think we have to just concede that the "dB" sometimes breaks tradition
and works with instantanous quantities rather than power.

It can be anything. Instantaneous, averaged, glacial, whatever.
Time may not be involved at all, or it might be.

reaches but never exceeds the instantaneous power associated with full
scale of the converter"? Modifying your formula above, dBFS = 20 *
log_10(peak signal voltage / converter maximum voltage)

That is essentially what I wrote last night. Thanks for your input, John.

--
John

Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
Abineau Communications
http://www.abineau.com

Pro Tools levels - what's going on? Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Pro Audio 2 November 11th 09 09:53 PM
Jolida 502a ----Chassis is missing C7.....Questions questions..... powerdoc Vacuum Tubes 10 November 20th 06 08:47 PM
SPL levels Gyuri Pro Audio 4 April 10th 06 06:02 PM
Console Channel levels vs stereo bus levels? The Alamo Pro Audio 3 May 9th 05 06:27 AM