Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] ckozicki@snet.net is offline

Default Sony CFS-D550 Boombox - International Version VS US Version

Click on each and see if you can tell what's different:

Intl: http://www.subito.it/audio-video/boo...e-39438615.htm

U.S.: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Boombox...-/251042592772

Do they think American are STUPID or something?!

-ChrisCoaster
Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] ckozicki@snet.net is offline

Alrighty... Since no one got it, the version for the rest of the globe has shortwave bands; the one for sale in US has only AM/FM. I collect only boomboxes that have SW in addition to the standard bands.

-CC
Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] ckozicki@snet.net is offline

I realize that Krieger. I just wondered why the multi-band model wasn't made for the States. There are quite a few uf us here who know how to navigate world band and I like the combination of it with cassette and auxiliary input that can be used for iPod.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] ckozicki@snet.net is offline

On Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:06:21 PM UTC-4, Michael Black wrote:
On

I realize that Krieger. I just wondered why the multi-band model wasn't
made for the States. There are quite a few uf us here who know how to
navigate world band and I like the combination of it with cassette and
auxiliary input that can be used for iPod.

It's marketing. Someone in Africa, for example, might be kind of
dependent on shortwave, so when they buy a boombox, they want that
capability. Someone in North America isn't likely to want shortwave if
they are buying a boombox. They'll buy a more special shortwave radio,
because they can afford it, because it's a secondary thing. In Africa, it
may be a primary thing, needing shortwave.

Chances are good it won't be a particularly good shortwave receiver.
Meanwhile, you could buy a standard boombox, making sure it has external
audio input jacks and then use it with any shortwave radio, getting much
better performance.

Michael

Well, having shortwave bands built into a decent sounding box along with cassette, etc. was common practice until the late 1980s. ALL the big mfgs had SW bands on the boxes they sold here - except Panasonic and Sony. Those two for some reason didn't sell those version here. As far as reception goes, you're right, none are as good as a small Grundig or Sangean. And I can personally testify that results will vary on the boombox shortwaves - from JVC(good to excellent) to LaSonic(fair).

-ChrisCoaster