Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

Default 8SN7 experiences

Hi RAT's!

It is a vacuum tube.

I have a pair of RCA in a 6SN7 circuit. Sounds great, maybe a little
slow on warm up ...

Anybody else tried these cheapies?

Happy Ears!
Al
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute[_2_] Andre Jute[_2_] is offline

On Jan 8, 9:41*pm, tubegarden wrote:
Hi RAT's!

It is a vacuum tube.

I have a pair of RCA in a 6SN7 circuit. Sounds great, maybe a little
slow on warm up ...

Anybody else tried these cheapies?

Happy Ears!
Al

JC Morrison, solder sniffer by appointment to the sometime New York
Triode Mafia, published several circuits for 8xx7. He liked them among
other reasons because he though 6SN7 were getting pricey (this was
back when you could pick over the RCA box and take what you wanted,
two for a buck!).

Andre Jute, a trip through nostalgia lane
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
[email protected] bretludwig@ymail.com is offline

On Jan 8, 5:22 pm, Andre Jute wrote:
On Jan 8, 9:41 pm, tubegarden wrote:

Hi RAT's!

It is a vacuum tube.

I have a pair of RCA in a 6SN7 circuit. Sounds great, maybe a little
slow on warm up ...

Anybody else tried these cheapies?

They work great if you have an 8 volt heater supply. If you run them
on 6.3 volts their emission gets crappy in awhile. If I was building a
tube preamp and could lay in a dozen or two I'd go to the bother, but
no commercial builder will, because the **** eaters would reject it as
unrollerfriendly.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
PhattyMo[_2_] PhattyMo[_2_] is offline

tubegarden wrote:
Hi RAT's!

It is a vacuum tube.

I have a pair of RCA in a 6SN7 circuit. Sounds great, maybe a little
slow on warm up ...

Anybody else tried these cheapies?

Happy Ears!
Al

Also,be on the lookout for 8BQ5's ;-)
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Jan 8, 4:41*pm, tubegarden wrote:
Hi RAT's!

It is a vacuum tube.

I have a pair of RCA in a 6SN7 circuit. Sounds great, maybe a little
slow on warm up ...

Anybody else tried these cheapies?

The cheapest tube is the one in-hand. I sent Ian eight of my spare
6SN7s, and have at least a dozen yet. It will be my children's
children worrying about running out.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
keithr keithr is offline

Peter Wieck wrote:
On Jan 8, 4:41 pm, tubegarden wrote:
Hi RAT's!

It is a vacuum tube.

I have a pair of RCA in a 6SN7 circuit. Sounds great, maybe a little
slow on warm up ...

Anybody else tried these cheapies?

The cheapest tube is the one in-hand. I sent Ian eight of my spare
6SN7s, and have at least a dozen yet. It will be my children's
children worrying about running out.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

if this is anything to go by, they may be your childrens' inheritance!

Over $100 a pop for 6SN7s, what is the world coming to?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2x-RARE-6SN7-...742.m153.l1262
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
bigwig bigwig is offline

On 14 Jan, 04:32, keithr wrote:
Peter Wieck wrote:
On Jan 8, 4:41 pm, tubegarden wrote:
Hi RAT's!

It is a vacuum tube.

I have a pair of RCA in a 6SN7 circuit. Sounds great, maybe a little
slow on warm up ...

Anybody else tried these cheapies?

The cheapest tube is the one in-hand. I sent Ian eight of my spare
6SN7s, and have at least a dozen yet. It will be my children's
children worrying about running out.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

if this is anything to go by, they may be your childrens' inheritance!

Over $100 a pop for 6SN7s, what is the world coming to?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2x-RARE-6SN7-...bes-w-aper...- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I saw those yesterday when I was mooching. I dont see what is so
special about them. They are Russian and anyone would be mad to pay
that. I am not saying Russion valves are crap, the Pinnacle branded
6J5s I have are Russian and are supposed to be very good, but 100 odd
Dollars each, insanity.
Matt.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
keithr keithr is offline

bigwig wrote:
On 14 Jan, 04:32, keithr wrote:
Peter Wieck wrote:
[...]

I can remember when we used to use them and other similar tubes for
target practice. Oh the misspent youth, I could have been rich in my old
age!

Keith
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tubegarden tubegarden is offline

Hi RATs!

I was rich in my old age, if only in fantasy equity. The bank that
called me and offered me lower interest on a second mortgage is taking
cents on the dollar, final payoff. These are interesting times. The
8sn7s have been playing happily for almost a year. Cathode poisoning
is not the killer I had feared More fishwive's tube technology
tales

Happy Ears!
Al

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
maaaaark maaaaark is offline

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 15:32:08 +1100, keithr wrote:

Peter Wieck wrote:
On Jan 8, 4:41 pm, tubegarden wrote:
Hi RAT's!

It is a vacuum tube.

I have a pair of RCA in a 6SN7 circuit. Sounds great, maybe a little
slow on warm up ...

Anybody else tried these cheapies?

The cheapest tube is the one in-hand. I sent Ian eight of my spare
6SN7s, and have at least a dozen yet. It will be my children's children
worrying about running out.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

if this is anything to go by, they may be your childrens' inheritance!

Over $100 a pop for 6SN7s, what is the world coming to?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2x-RARE-6SN7-...-base-tubes-w-

apertures_W0QQitemZ400022572681QQihZ027QQcategoryZ 4193QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Asking $100 a tube and actually getting it are two different things.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ian Bell[_2_] Ian Bell[_2_] is offline

Peter Wieck wrote:
On Jan 8, 4:41 pm, tubegarden wrote:
Hi RAT's!

It is a vacuum tube.

I have a pair of RCA in a 6SN7 circuit. Sounds great, maybe a little
slow on warm up ...

Anybody else tried these cheapies?
The cheapest tube is the one in-hand. I sent Ian eight of my spare
6SN7s, and have at least a dozen yet. It will be my children's children
worrying about running out.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

if this is anything to go by, they may be your childrens' inheritance!

Over $100 a pop for 6SN7s, what is the world coming to?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2x-RARE-6SN7-...-base-tubes-w-

apertures_W0QQitemZ400022572681QQihZ027QQcategoryZ 4193QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Asking $100 a tube and actually getting it are two different things.

I get a page not responding error message when I try the link.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
bigwig bigwig is offline

Peter Wieck wrote:
[...]

Ian- Hide quoted text -

I think they must have sold! There is one US metal base job selling in
the UK for 100 odd quid, I cant find it now because of the random way
I found it. I was looking for GM70 then just looking at the sellers
stuff. It could have been 6C33 also. Some of the Russian sellers seem
to be the same people ie.use the same wording same shop set up etc. I
bought some PIO caps and nixies from Russia and they are absolutely
great quality. Guess they have to make some money somehow.
Matt.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

bigwig wrote:
Peter Wieck wrote:
[...]

I did find it in the end - looks like some fool actually bought a pair.
Same seller has regular Russian 6SN7s going for 20 bucks a pair. Go figure.

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
bigwig bigwig is offline

On 19 Jan, 00:07, Ian Bell wrote:
bigwig wrote:
Peter Wieck wrote:
[...]

The wonders of fleabay:-)
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
keithr keithr is offline

Ian Bell wrote:
bigwig wrote:
Peter Wieck wrote:
[...]

You are obviously totally ignorant of the sonic effects of metal bases.
They give a much sweeter sound

Keith

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

keithr wrote:
Ian Bell wrote:
bigwig wrote:
Peter Wieck wrote:
[...]

LOL. On the contrary, as my short paper on the comparison of 6SN7, 7N7
and 6CG7 demonstrates, the B9A all glass construction is sonically far
superior ;-)

Cheers

Ian
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article ,
keithr wrote:

Ian Bell wrote:
bigwig wrote:
Peter Wieck wrote:
[...]

Yes, the sonic effects of the metal bases are very sweet, but the modern
ones without any base at all are even sweeter yet.

--
Regards,

John Byrns

MT2496 experiences. [email protected] Pro Audio 27 October 31st 05 08:20 PM
MT2496 experiences. soundgun Pro Audio 0 October 26th 05 05:57 PM
SP T3. Any real experiences? [email protected] Pro Audio 9 September 8th 05 01:51 AM
8SN7 brands [email protected] Vacuum Tubes 2 April 28th 05 02:37 PM
Top Notch R.A.P. experiences Songster Pro Audio 0 June 22nd 04 07:45 AM