Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bob Bob is offline

Default Plug And Jack Dimensions On Headphones ?

Hello,

My son just bought a new pair of Bose Headphones, the "SoundTrue" model.

Their .pdf manual says the Plug is 3.5 mm and also 1/8 inch.
Obviously, it can't be both, as their is a "meaningful" diameter
difference (0.0057) beteen these two dimensions.

I used to remember that there was always a bit of a problem, as some
Plugs that mfg's used were 1/8 inch, and some were 3.0 mm (not 3.5 mm).

The reason I'm asking is that when he plugs it into our (old CRT style)
Panasonic TV audio output Plug, it wiggles a lot and does not make good
contact.

Can someone who is a lot more knowledgeable about these kinda plugs and
jacks perhaps straighten us out on all of this. (are there adapters ?)

Also, the Plug seems to have 4 electrical sections.
Have never seen one with more than 3.
What are (each) of them for, please ? Diagram anywhere ?

Would be most appreciative for your help.

Thank you very much,
Bob

---

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Bob" wrote in message
My son just bought a new pair of Bose Headphones, the "SoundTrue" model.
Their .pdf manual says the Plug is 3.5 mm and also 1/8 inch.
Obviously, it can't be both, as their is a "meaningful" diameter
difference (0.0057) beteen these two dimensions.

Actually they can, since they simply rely on the socket spring contacts
bending in or out a little. They are definitely NOT precision connectors.

I used to remember that there was always a bit of a problem, as some Plugs
that mfg's used were 1/8 inch, and some were 3.0 mm (not 3.5 mm).
The reason I'm asking is that when he plugs it into our (old CRT style)
Panasonic TV audio output Plug, it wiggles a lot and does not make good
contact.

A pretty common problem, especially when the sockets have had a fair bit of
use.

Can someone who is a lot more knowledgeable about these kinda plugs and
jacks perhaps straighten us out on all of this. (are there adapters ?)

Also, the Plug seems to have 4 electrical sections.
Have never seen one with more than 3.

They have been used in video camera's for *many* years, and headsets that
have both stereo audio and microphone connections.

What are (each) of them for, please ? Diagram anywhere ?

That would depend on the actual device. Apple for a start use different
connections than most others. I have no idea what Bose have done in this
case, but the info should be available somewhere.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
whosbest54[_3_] whosbest54[_3_] is offline

In article , lid says...
[...]

It appears to be this model:

http://www.bose.com/controller?
url=/shop_online/headphones/ae_and_oe_headphones/soundtrue_headphones/index.jsp
&Variant=soundtrue_ae_headphones

It appears to have the ability to add a microphone or it may come with one
built in somewhere. The FAQ tab says it will work with Apple products. So, I
believe it has a 4 conductor TRRS plug so it can carry the mic and stereo
headphone signals. It appears it has a CTIA TRRS plug that works with Apple
and Nokia, among others.

This Wikipedia article outlines the TRRS standard for the 4 condutor plug you
describe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_c...TRRS_standards

It may not be designed to work well with a standard 3 conductor plug like your
CRT set has. Perhaps an adaptor will help. For example:

http://www.scansound.com/index.php/3...-3-pin-male-3-
5mm-trs-adapter.html

whosbest54

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rao.htm

http://whosbest54.netau.net/rmb.html

If the pages time out, try whosbest54.netau.net in
a site unblocker proxy like: http://www.site2unblock.com

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] JamesGangNC@gmail.com is offline

On Monday, June 9, 2014 6:49:34 PM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
[...]

I'm thinking the problem is you have a fairly worn jack in your old crt tv. They fail fairly commonly. I've had to replace a few in ipods and such.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] spuorgelgoog@gowanhill.com is offline

On Monday, June 9, 2014 11:49:34 PM UTC+1, Bob wrote:
Their .pdf manual says the Plug is 3.5 mm and also 1/8 inch.
Obviously, it can't be both, as their is a "meaningful" diameter
difference (0.0057) beteen these two dimensions.

1/8 inch is American and 3.5mm is Rest Of The World.

It should actually be the same plug, just that Americans don't do mm.

Owain

USB Headphones hack - Soldering a 3.5mm plug instead of the headphones [email protected] Tech 10 September 17th 07 11:39 PM
Odd jack plug/socket size Geoff Tech 2 December 5th 06 12:37 AM
Plug mono into stereo jack Jeffrey Pro Audio 46 November 30th 06 01:19 PM
TRS plug > TS jack Buster Mudd Pro Audio 7 October 12th 04 11:16 PM
"Lost" left channel into stereo headphones through 3.0 / 3.5 mm stereo jack socket / plug Clive Long,UK General 0 June 9th 04 05:57 PM