Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
JohnC JohnC is offline

Default Digital Optical to Analog Converter

"Klay Anderson" wrote in message
Nope. With TVs you have to use this:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5980

Text "Klay" to 50500 for contact info

-.- .-.. .- -.-- / .- - / -.- .-.. .- -.-- / -.. --- - / -.-. --- --
Yours truly,

Mr. Klay Anderson, D.A.,Q.B.E.

I think that will do it. When RTFM (thanks spamtrap1888) the Panasonic
will provide Dolby Digital when an ATSC channel is selected and PCM when
NTSC channel is selected. I'm getting ATSC over the air so I need to
convert Dolby Digital. Looks like the Gefen unit will do this. I'll get
it and post back the results. BTW, I could find no menu option to change
the digital optical out fomat on the TV. Thanks to all for your help.

Yep. That did it. The Gefen DAC successfully converts the Panasonic
Optical Digital output Dolby Digital to 2 channel audio. Yippee!

This digital stuff is all new to me.

Thanks all,
John

Immaltheara Immaltheara is offline