Posted to rec.audio.car
Jack Bauer Jack Bauer is offline

Default best place for an amp - trunk or under seat?

I personally like putting it under a front seat because it will get
better air flow there and also not get in the way of things like it can
in the trunk.

The trouble is that so few amps are small enough to actually FIT under a
car seat. For some reason everyone thinks they need 100W/channel. I have
an old Sony that puts out 20Wx4 and is quite small enough to fit;
although as I go forward with a newer car it becomes hard to find
something new that small.
Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

On Jan 29, 3:03*pm, Jack Bauer wrote:
I personally like putting it under a front seat because it will get
better air flow there and also not get in the way of things like it can
in the trunk.

The trouble is that so few amps are small enough to actually FIT under a
car seat. For some reason everyone thinks they need 100W/channel. I have
an old Sony that puts out 20Wx4 and is quite small enough to fit;
although as I go forward with a newer car it becomes hard to find
something new that small.

I always simply mount the amp(s) to the subwoofer enclosure in the
trunk. I've been running this particular setup for over a year
(sometimes quite hard for hours at a time), and have yet to even get a
hiccup from too much heat or anything... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462751

~Mister.Lull
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

I second that. The trunk is an excellent place to mount an amp as it is
often cooler than the cabin. Just make sure there are several inches of
space around the heat-sinks.

If heat IS a problem (as it was for me only ONCE despite having used dozens
of different amps and brands over the years with a Coustic VR series amp,
Coustic's unsuccesful foray into high-end amplifiers), I simply bought a
small fan from Radio Shack (about $5) and I actually attached the power lead
to the remote turn-on wire from the HU (it puts out 12 volts and is only on
when the HU is on). It worked perfectly and kept my amp nice and cool.

But again, I agree with Lull, the trunk can often be the COOLEST place to
mount your amps as under the seat is often very cramped. However, under the
front seats are where I have three of my four amps mounted and have never
had an over-heating problem.

MOSFET

"Mister.Lull" wrote in message
On Jan 29, 3:03 pm, Jack Bauer wrote:
I personally like putting it under a front seat because it will get
better air flow there and also not get in the way of things like it can
in the trunk.

The trouble is that so few amps are small enough to actually FIT under a
car seat. For some reason everyone thinks they need 100W/channel. I have
an old Sony that puts out 20Wx4 and is quite small enough to fit;
although as I go forward with a newer car it becomes hard to find
something new that small.

I always simply mount the amp(s) to the subwoofer enclosure in the
trunk. I've been running this particular setup for over a year
(sometimes quite hard for hours at a time), and have yet to even get a
hiccup from too much heat or anything...
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2462751

~Mister.Lull

sub sound getting through the seat puttster Car Audio 5 September 11th 06 06:10 PM
SEAT AURA CD Skorupa Car Audio 0 November 28th 04 01:45 PM
i think i am going to mount my car amp on the carboard that is inbetween the trunk and back cushion of the back seat Spockie Car Audio 1 April 30th 04 07:47 AM
Holding a sub box in place in your trunk habibe99 Car Audio 10 November 11th 03 04:04 AM