Garthrr

Default Who was the band on Letterman tonight (Friday)?

It was a band with a blond female singer/acoustic guitarist, then a regular 4
piece band plus a scratcher. I just caught part of their performance but I
thought they sounded good. She has an interesting voice and all the players
seemed pretty good. I didnt catch the name. Anyone know who it was?

Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney
hank alrich

Garthrr wrote:

It was a band with a blond female singer/acoustic guitarist, then a regular 4
piece band plus a scratcher. I just caught part of their performance but I
thought they sounded good. She has an interesting voice and all the players
seemed pretty good. I didnt catch the name. Anyone know who it was?

I don't do TV, but was it Eliza Gilkyson?

--
ha
Particle Salad

I interviewed her once in my radio days... she is a great person, I really
liked her music. I still have a couple of her tapes around someplace, gotta
dig those out.

I don't know whether or not that was her on letterman.

Now available: new Particle Salad CD "The Track Inside."

See http://www.particlesalad.com for more info.
"Frank Vuotto" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 16:47:50 GMT, (hank alrich)
wrote:

I don't do TV, but was it Eliza Gilkyson?

Don't know if it was, but Eliza is a most woderful songwriter and
singer.

I've been a fan for a looooooooong .... time. She use to play here in
New Mexico with John Bau (Spica Speakers) on bass.

Frank /~
http://newmex.com/f10
@/

hank alrich

Frank Vuotto wrote:

(hank alrich) wrote:

I don't do TV, but was it Eliza Gilkyson?

Don't know if it was, but Eliza is a most woderful songwriter and
singer.

She has a new album coming out next week. I heard her at the Armadillo
Christmas Bazaar in Austin in december, and she was terrific. She did a
song that snagged my memory banks and I went looking for it. Turns out
to be an inclusion onte her upcoming release.

She has quite a few albums out, her most recent being _lost and found_
on Red House - a very fine piece of work. Good songs.

--
ha

hank alrich

So!?...Was it Eliza Gilkyson on the David Letterman show or is this a new
thread?

No, it was Toby Lightman, according to Google. Never heard of her.
Anybody?

--
ha
PeterViehoever

(hank alrich) wrote

.... Frank Vuotto wrote:

(hank alrich) wrote:

So!?...Was it Eliza Gilkyson on the David Letterman show or is this a new
thread?

It was not Eliza when I was watching. It may have been Joss Stone. Torn pants,
acoustic guitar?

Peter
Kevin Kelly

No, it was Toby Lightman, according to Google. Never heard of her.
Anybody?

I am (supposed to be) at work right now for a radio syndicator producing 28 one
minute capsule reviews of new records for our affiliates. I don't write the
reviews , I am just the Protools jockey who drags/drops/edits/mixes the music,
VO, soundbites, stingers and commercials into the show. I heard Toby Lightman
for the first time about twenty minutes ago (show 26). Her CD is now sitting
under my keys. I really liked what I heard and plan to give it a good listen on
the ride home. Seems like some compelling songwriting. She also sounded pretty
interesting but grounded in the soundbite.
Now this thread has fueled my interest.

Kevin M. Kelly
"There needs to be a 12-step program for us gearheads"
Ricky W. Hunt

"Kevin Kelly" wrote in message
[...]

Women seem to be making 75% of the most interesting music nowadays.

Kevin Kelly

They need an old school producer to help take them one step
beyond if they want to be great. BRBR

Are you talking about the Letterman Show performance or her album? The CD
production is pretty damn interesting.

Kevin M. Kelly
"There needs to be a 12-step program for us gearheads"

Kevin Kelly

A little knowledge of music theory and arranging could help a lot of
the
singer songwriter "artists" out there to do better justice to their material.
BRBR

That worries me a bit. I t took me two years AFTER I completed a BA in Music to
be able to play/write pop and rock as well as I did before college. (OK, so
maybe that was 30 years ago) but everything I wrote or played right after
college needed to be too inctricate and tricky and usually muddied the pure
intention of the song.
Somebody on this newsgroups has that great signoff something like ...No amount
of musical training can teach you what's so cool about "Tighten Up" by Archie
Bell and the Drells. He's my hero. - That's SO true.

Kevin M. Kelly
"There needs to be a 12-step program for us gearheads"
Kevin Kelly

BTW I did some ghost libretto writing work for a guy who used to play with
Archie Bell and the Drells when he was a high school kid, a Trumpet with one
hand, Organ with the other. He also studied with Nadia Boulanger in France,
and I learned a lot about polyphony and melodic development from him.
BRBR

I think we're all on the same team here. Learn and respect the craft, but don't
loose the forest for the trees. ... something like that. I wouldn't trade
classical training for anything. Working through the first movement of Bach's
Italian Concerto is right up there with being the only band in the neighborhood
playing the right chord inversions to Ticket To Ride.

....and speaking of respecting craft... how about the label execs who don't see
any difference in buying a Digi 002 for a new artist and booking a professional
studio for overdubs. We all want the same things: good song, good instument in
a good room, well made transducer placed appropriately, amplified cleanly, gain
reduced (or not) to taste, printed on reliable jitter (or wow and flutter) free
media.
How likely is all that on an amatuer's watch. Possible? - yes. Consistantly? -
uh, no.
I give up. I'm going to bed.

Kevin M. Kelly
"There needs to be a 12-step program for us gearheads"
Mike Rivers

In article ospam writes:

Well IMHO it takes a team to create a recording product interesting enough
to be world class, unless you are an unusually gifted individual.

I'll agree with you there. Where I go astray is that I don't see that
all recorded music has to be world class. However there is no law law
requiring that in order to publish your music in any form it has to
pass muster by the World Class Music Police (which will happen about
the same time as you need a license to post in a Usenet newsgroup).

Right now, since it's so easy to record and publish music, there's a
lot of it that doesn't have the production values and surface quality
of a "world class" production, but apparently at least some people
find that it's interesting enough to be justified. As for me, I don't
want to have some production team judge what the music I listen to has
to sound like. In a sense we have that today with radio broadcast
formats (if you ignore alternate publishing methods) and I have
essentially stopped listening to commercial radio stations because I
don't find interesting music there. Others find exactly what they want
to hear, and that's probably what defines "world class" production.

A lot of
new artists think their credibility will be compromised if they listen to
_anybody_, even their bandmates, let alone a decent audio engineer, Producer,
arranger, or anyone else.

I think we're getting away from that, but for the wrong reason. It
used to be that if you wanted to record a song, you went to someone
who had the equipment and (hopefully) some experience. Whether you
chose to listen to advice or not, you got it. Today people are
recording themselves in a vacuum because it appears to be the most
cost effective solution. They're the ones who ask about getting "that"
sound with their guitars or how to record drums.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Ricky W. Hunt

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

I'll agree with you there. Where I go astray is that I don't see that
all recorded music has to be world class.

Actually I think some genres of music sound horrible recorded "world-class"
(whatever that ambiguous, omnipresent-AD-jective means).

hank alrich

WillStG wrote:

(Mike Rivers)
If everything was great, would you have time to listen to it all? We
need more just plain honest music, not produced-to-formula pop.

A little knowledge of music theory and arranging could help a lot of the
singer songwriter "artists" out there to do better justice to their material.

I'm gonna send yer suggestions over to Bob Dylan.

/j

--
ha