Chris Seifert

Default HDCD Model Two

Last night I got to transfer a piano recording that was done 24bit 96k
at the Skywalker Ranch.
The recording was done with 2 mics feeding a Euphonix/Pacific
Microsystems Model 2 for a-d conversion and then was recorded on to an
Alesis Masterlink at 24bit 96k.
What I did was a digital transfer from the Masterlink in to Pro Tools
HD so the client could
score overdubs.

The recording engineer used the HDCD only for a-d during tracking and
for d-a on playback and we compared back and forth from the HDCD
analog outs and the PT HD analog outs during the transfer from the
Masterlink to ProTools.

Now this wasn't the most calibrated best setup comparison I've ever
done but the player, tracking engineer and myself were all pretty
impressed at how much better the HDCD Model 2 d-a sounded compared to
HD. Has anyone else heard this unit? I'm curious because I remeber the
HDCD topic getting tossed around here on rap back in the mid 90's but
haven't heard much in the past 6 years or so. Having this thing plop
itself into my session last night was quite a pleasant surprise as I
heard the best piano recording of my life.

Just thought I'd ask if anyone else had compared the HDCD Model2 from
Euphonix to any other recent hi-end coverters out there. Also wondered
if anyone else has ever compared PT HD analog outs to that of the
Euphonix Model 2. I guess I'm wondering if my impression that the
Model 2 was more open on the top end and seemed to have more room
tone/space to it's d-a conversion was
shared by anyone else.

chris
wavetrap
Scott Dorsey

Chris Seifert wrote:

Now this wasn't the most calibrated best setup comparison I've ever
done but the player, tracking engineer and myself were all pretty
impressed at how much better the HDCD Model 2 d-a sounded compared to
HD. Has anyone else heard this unit? I'm curious because I remeber the
HDCD topic getting tossed around here on rap back in the mid 90's but
haven't heard much in the past 6 years or so. Having this thing plop
itself into my session last night was quite a pleasant surprise as I
heard the best piano recording of my life.

The old Pacific Microsonics converter is just great sounding, even if
you just use it in 16-bit mode and don't use any of the extension features.
I know a lot of folks are just disabling all the HDCD stuff on it and using
it as a stock converter, because they sound very good and they aren't all
that expensive.

I am told the Model 2 has basically the same front end on it, and is the
same sort of sound, just cleaner.

Just thought I'd ask if anyone else had compared the HDCD Model2 from
Euphonix to any other recent hi-end coverters out there. Also wondered
if anyone else has ever compared PT HD analog outs to that of the
Euphonix Model 2. I guess I'm wondering if my impression that the
Model 2 was more open on the top end and seemed to have more room
tone/space to it's d-a conversion was
shared by anyone else.

I have compared the PT HD converters to the Prism converters, and frankly
I am not impressed at all with the HD stuff. The Pacific Microsonics box
was in the same league with the Prism and I would expect the new Model 2
would be as well.