Jim Klein

Default Philly: Adjunct faculty needed in Music Industry program

Hey everyone -

I'd be interested in speaking with anyone in the Philadelphia area who
is interested in teaching college level recording courses as an
adjunct, possibly leading to a full time position. We operate on a
term (rather than semester) basis, with 11 week terms during the
Fall, Winter, and Spring, and a Summer program as well. Our program
requires that all Music Industry majors (including the Business and
Law kids) take two terms of recording classes, and the program has
grown to the point that we need some help.

The courses that would be taught by you a

Recording I - This is basically a lecture course using the
Huber/Rumstein book as a text. Students learn the theory of hearing
and sound, microphone design, construction, operation, and placement,
analog tape recorders, analog console signal flow and operation, and
signal processing basics. Although primarily a lecture course, there
is a portable "studio on a cart" used for demonstration purposes,
containing a Mackie 8 buss, an ADAT, a compressor, reverb, DDL, gate,
dat machine, patchbays, and a CD player. We also wheel in an Otari
5050 for analog tape demonstrations. Typically, there are two sections
taught during the same term, with about 22-25 students per section.
Grading is based on attendance, participation, and written midterms
and finals.

Recording II - This is the first hands-on course for the students, and
is a combination of lecture/demonstration and independent projects.
The lecture/demonstration part of the course will be taught in our
main studio, using a 48 channel Otari Status with moving fader
automation and dynamics, a ProTools HD system with 32 channels of I/O,
and a decent amount of outboard gear. There is a small musical
ensemble (probably a rock band) assigned to each section of the
course, and they are the guinea pigs on whom you would demonstrate
basic recording techniques, taking the students through a complete
project from basic tracks to mixdown and possibly mastering. In
addition, the students will be required to complete several
independent recording projects over the course of the term, working in
our other two studios, both equipped with analog consoles and Protools
systems. Grading is based on independent projects, attendance, and
participation. These classes also have two sections taught during the
same term, with about 22-25 students per section.

As the program continues to grow, additional teaching assignments are
possible, including Recording III (a more advanced course structured
similarly to Recording II).

Candidates should have a degree in Music Recording or equivalent, have
a reasonable amount of real world experience as an engineer, know
their way around most types of analog and digital gear including
ProTools, and have a solid working knowledge of the theory and
practice of sound recording. While teaching experience would be
ideal, it isn't absolutely necessary. What is necessary are very
solid communication skills, both oral and written, and the ability to
work from an established syllabus and within the parameters of our
program.

Hopefully, our chosen candidate will be able to spend some time with
us during the Spring term (receiving one credit of adjunct pay),
getting to know the program, the faculty, and the curiculum. Teaching
duties will start next fall, in late September, and continue
throughout the school year.

Anyone interested should contact me either by email or by phone at
215-895-6603.

Thanks,

Jim Klein