Posted to rec.audio.tech
Paulo P Paulo P is offline

Default JBL amplifier question

Hello,

I need to replace the drivers and output transistors of my faithful SA660
amplifier and as the parts have a JBL code I'm asking for help to know the
commercial numbers of these transistors. The factory codes a 13300,
13301, 13298, 13299, 13314 and 13315. Any help would very appreciated. BTW
if anyone needs to replace the preamplifier transistors the models are
MPS6520 AND MPS6518 according to a letter sent to me by JBL in 1981.
Thanks to all.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"GregS" wrote in message
In article , Paulo P

wrote:
I need to replace the drivers and output transistors of my faithful SA660
amplifier and as the parts have a JBL code I'm asking for help to know

the
commercial numbers of these transistors. The factory codes a 13300,
13301, 13298, 13299, 13314 and 13315. Any help would very appreciated.

Faithfull?

Must be I guess, since it's well over 30 years old and still in use. Was a
pretty good performer in it's day too.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:29:25 GMT, Paulo P wrote:

I need to replace the drivers and output transistors of my faithful SA660
amplifier and as the parts have a JBL code I'm asking for help to know the
commercial numbers of these transistors. The factory codes a 13300,
13301, 13298, 13299, 13314 and 13315. Any help would very appreciated. BTW
if anyone needs to replace the preamplifier transistors the models are
MPS6520 AND MPS6518 according to a letter sent to me by JBL in 1981.
Thanks to all.

How did you manage to blow ALL the transistors?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Paulo P Paulo P is offline

Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote in
:

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:29:25 GMT, Paulo P wrote:

I need to replace the drivers and output transistors of my faithful
SA660 amplifier and as the parts have a JBL code I'm asking for help
to know the commercial numbers of these transistors. The factory codes
a 13300, 13301, 13298, 13299, 13314 and 13315. Any help would very
appreciated. BTW if anyone needs to replace the preamplifier
transistors the models are MPS6520 AND MPS6518 according to a letter
sent to me by JBL in 1981. Thanks to all.

How did you manage to blow ALL the transistors?

Actually the blown transistors are the drivers in one channel and the two
NPN output ones. As I had no spare time it was serviced by a technician
and as he did not fix it I have to do it myself. I don't know if he did
the things to get worse but I suspect that. I have found an schematic
with the code of the transistors in:

http://perso.orange.fr/francis.audio2/C17_JBL_SA660.gif

The output ones are MJ802 and MJ4502. Now I need to find only the drivers
because in the schematics above these transistors are listed as TIP29C
and TIP30C and in the JBL amp they are TO66 types not TO220.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Phil Allison Phil Allison is offline

"Paulo P"

Actually the blown transistors are the drivers in one channel and the two
NPN output ones. As I had no spare time it was serviced by a technician
and as he did not fix it I have to do it myself. I don't know if he did
the things to get worse but I suspect that. I have found an schematic
with the code of the transistors in:

http://perso.orange.fr/francis.audio2/C17_JBL_SA660.gif

** That is NOT a genuine schematic for the JBL amp nor does is give the
actual device numbers.

Eg, MJE15032/32 devices were NOT available 20 or 30 years ago.

The output ones are MJ802 and MJ4502.

** No longer made by anyone - despite FAKE offers to supply you may see.

Use MJ15003/4s instead.

Way better in all respects.

Now I need to find only the drivers
because in the schematics above these transistors are listed as TIP29C
and TIP30C and in the JBL amp they are TO66 types not TO220.

** See what I mean, that schem is CRAPOLOGY !.

You CAN fit a TO220 device in place of a TO66, the pack was designed to do
that.

MJE15030/31 devices would be ideal.

...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Paulo P" wrote in message

The output ones are MJ802 and MJ4502. Now I need to find
only the drivers because in the schematics above these
transistors are listed as TIP29C and TIP30C and in the
JBL amp they are TO66 types not TO220.

TO 220 transistors can replace TO66 types if you attend to the obvious
mechanical differences.

Fixing power amps is ticklish work, and you need experience and special
equipment such as a Variac to do it right.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] dpierce@cartchunk.org is offline

Paulo P wrote:
I have found an schematic with the code of the transistors in:

No, what it looks like is you found is a schematic generated
from a SPICE netlist that someone put together to run a SPICE
simulation of the amplifier, using common BJT models in place
of what may actually have been there. The power supply layout,
the pseudo-load and the input notations are all significant clues
to suggest this is a SPICE simulation.

The result may be a schematic that would do a reasonable job
of simulating the amplifier, but is not something I would trust
to follow in debugging and repairing a physical speciman.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Paulo P Paulo P is offline

wrote in news:1156426566.839377.45370
@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

Paulo P wrote:
I have found an schematic with the code of the transistors in:

No, what it looks like is you found is a schematic generated
from a SPICE netlist that someone put together to run a SPICE
simulation of the amplifier, using common BJT models in place
of what may actually have been there. The power supply layout,
the pseudo-load and the input notations are all significant clues
to suggest this is a SPICE simulation.

The result may be a schematic that would do a reasonable job
of simulating the amplifier, but is not something I would trust
to follow in debugging and repairing a physical speciman.

Well if I could choose I would like to have a direct support from JBL as I
had before but they could or want not to look for the information I needed.
So the only reference I found was the schematic of Francis Audio's website
and at least for the output transistors I guess it is very close to the
original or maybe the right part. I was once a technician but I've been for
many years in a completely different business so to repair this amplifier
will be not a great deal for me. I still have the equipment to do the job.
I've sent it to be serviced hoping that I could save my time but it
happened to be otherwise. I've already seen another JBL SA660 amplifier
with the output transistors replaced and yes,there was a common Motorola
code. But it was 30 years ago and I really can't remember the part number.
And JBl also was far more supportive.