Default 1992 jetta install..... i just dont get it....

I am gonna install a stero system in my friends 1992 jetta. Normally
i do quite well on installing car audio in cars (except for new ones,
i fear breaking a piece of interior that will cost me 300 bucks to
replace). ANYWAYS.... his car is the wolfsburg edition, and it has a
AKTIV sound system. Which looks like, it is gonna give me a hassle.
Our plans are to replace the dash,door, and rear speakers with
aftermarket speakers... install an aftermarket headunit (clarion)...
and put an amp and sub in the trunk.

This is what i have gathered thus far...

AKTIV (heidelburg system) has 1amp in each door. These amps power the
4" dash, 5 1/4" door, and rear 6x9 speakers. And the headunit sends
out a signal (maybe rca ???) to the amps, and ONLY the amps can
understand what the deck is putting out. The deck itself has no
speaker wires.... becasue it uses the amps.

SSSOOOOO does this mean i have to run all new wires to every speaker
in the car from the new headunit?

How do i remove the heidelburg deck out? It almost looks like an
aftermarket deck... what are the odds of it sliding out like an
aftermarket deck? and allowing for a direct replacement? Is there a
special dash kit i need for an aftermarket deck?

Is it difficult to remove the amps from the door?

wow...so many questions... i got about 2 weeks before i do this...so i
gotta gather up some knowledge ...and you people are the pros!

Thanks alot
DJ TecThreat

honestly... i would just leave the amps in the doors unhooked unless they
are blocking the new drivers. Take out the old unit carefully and run new
wiring to the new speakers. Unless you want to take a different approach.
You can match up the wires coming from the HU harness to the ones connected
to the amps and the speakers and re-use those.

I recently did a maxima (older) with the bose system and all i did was
remove the HU and speakers and ran new wires to everything leaving the
factory plugs and harness intact and untouched. New power and speakers
wires, only thing i reused was the antenna wire.

hope that helps
DJ TecThreat
The Real Threat

wrote in message

[...]

Hello

I only just began reading this newsgroup, so my apology for the delay
of this post.

I used to work on the Jetta ll cars from 1985-92 and I am somewhat
familiar with them and the system you referred to.

Your description of the power distribution from the amps in the doors
I believe to be incorrect.

When I studied the wiring diagrams for this system, the amps that you
referred to are for the lower door speakers only to help power the
bass drivers located there.

The head unit provides the power to the dash drivers as is common in
most auto systems.

I would be careful with regards to what I did, and would recommend
using these drivers if possible, as the do help with the sound quality
considerably. Of course, this would only matter if both the amplifiers
and the bass speakers themselves would be know to be in good working
condition.

We have three such Jetta ll's in our family presently and one of the
cars has this system operational with an Alpine head unit of 60-watts
per channel.

Using these amplified bass speakers, it is easily the best sounding of
all of our autosound systems at this time.

It can be done and does sound great.

I personally wired the system myself without any difficulty some years
ago; but, of course, I have the necessary wiring diagrams to work with
to do the wiring.

I hope that you find this information both helpful and timely.

Regretfully, you indicated a time constraint, so I hope that you are
able to read this before making your decisions and doing the job.

Good Luck