Posted to rec.audio.car
jailhouserock jailhouserock is offline

Default 1970 vintage Allied Tandy audiophile grade floor/shelf speakers-adj. crossovers-NICE-$50

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

You know, I don't think I've ever heard the words "Tandy" (Radio Shack) and
"Audiophile" used in the same sentence. Just an observation.

Actually, it's a little amusing because although you can see Radio Shack
printed on the back of the speakers (in small letters in one of the photos),
the seller is EXTREMELY careful not to mention this little detail in the
VERY lengthy description.

MOSFET

"jailhouserock" wrote in message
ps.com...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Posted to rec.audio.car
John Durbin John Durbin is offline

You probably are not old enough to know that Tandy - Radio Shack - has
sold some very respectable audio gear, back in the day. Their Minimus 7
speaker system for example...

JD

MOSFET wrote:
You know, I don't think I've ever heard the words "Tandy" (Radio Shack) and
"Audiophile" used in the same sentence. Just an observation.

Actually, it's a little amusing because although you can see Radio Shack
printed on the back of the speakers (in small letters in one of the photos),
the seller is EXTREMELY careful not to mention this little detail in the
VERY lengthy description.

MOSFET

"jailhouserock" wrote in message
ps.com...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

LOL! I actually used to own a pair of Nova 8s when I was little! As far as
I can remember, they sounded pretty darn good! Ahhh...the memories!

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe
Alpine IVA-D310 DVD Head Unit, Alpine MRA-550 Digital 5.1 Amp, Boston
Acoustics Z-Series Speakers, Alpine SBS-05DC Center Channel Speaker,
Amplified MTX Thunderform Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Actually, my grandparents owned a pair of Nova 8's and I DO remember that
they sounded OK (but of course, I was just a kid).

Also, my DREAM SPEAKERS when I was in Junior High were the Mach One's (do
you remember those?). They had this huge 15" woofer and horn on top. They
were built more like professional monitors than home speakers. We used a
pair for our Junior High dances (I used to DJ those dances back in '81-'82
so I had access to them) and I THOUGHT THOSE SPEAKERS ROCKED!!! In fact, it
was the Mach One's that gave me my first taste of REAL BASS (that you could
FEEL).

So, yes, I shouldn't be too quick to make fun of Radio Shack. I, too, have
fond memories of some of those older speakers.

But you have to admit, the Nova series speakers looked so "old-people" with
that wood lattice work in front.

MOSFET

MOSFET wrote:
You know, I don't think I've ever heard the words "Tandy" (Radio Shack)

and
"Audiophile" used in the same sentence. Just an observation.

Actually, it's a little amusing because although you can see Radio Shack
printed on the back of the speakers (in small letters in one of the

photos),
the seller is EXTREMELY careful not to mention this little detail in the
VERY lengthy description.

MOSFET

"jailhouserock" wrote in message
ps.com...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

In article , "MOSFET" wrote:
[...]

Don't forget about the series with special tweeter, and I can't think of the name right now.
Radio shack had good stuff through the years, but with that, they alway had to deleted it,
or make it cheaper so it was either worthless or had less appeal. The RS analog sound level meter
was one successful product that stayed around for a long time.
I bought a set of Mach ones a few years ago. Had to redo the surrounds. I refinished the wood, tightned
some screws, treated the midrange, cleaned the grill of cat ****, and ended selling them back
to the person I bought them from. Probably made $50.
They were a lot of speaker for the money, not real good but OK.
A lot of people bought the RS receivers when they went on half price closouts!!

greg

.. .

MOSFET wrote:
You know, I don't think I've ever heard the words "Tandy" (Radio Shack)

and
"Audiophile" used in the same sentence. Just an observation.

Actually, it's a little amusing because although you can see Radio Shack
printed on the back of the speakers (in small letters in one of the

photos),
the seller is EXTREMELY careful not to mention this little detail in the
VERY lengthy description.

MOSFET

"jailhouserock" wrote in message
ps.com...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...495&rd =1&ssp
agename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Don't forget about the series with special tweeter, and I can't think of
the name right now.

Yes, I believe your thinking of the "Linneum" tweeters I think (not sure if
it's spelled that way). They were supposed to be VERY unique in how they
dispersed sound. They were quite a big deal when they first came out.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

"Also, my DREAM SPEAKERS when I was in Junior High were the Mach One's (do
you remember those?). They had this huge 15" woofer and horn on top. They
were built more like professional monitors than home speakers."

I used to work at RS when they had those. I bought two of them and later
ended up taking them apart and using the woofers in my car. IIRC, those
were about $250 each back then, but I bought 'em after they were
discountinued for $125 each. SWEET. They sure did sound good.

Tony

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

but I bought 'em after they were
discountinued for $125 each. SWEET. They sure did sound good.

Tony

You have just ALWAYS had the best stuff your whole life, haven't you, Tony?

I remember reading through the RS catalog every year (I LOVED that catalog)
and just LUSTING after the Mach One's. Younger people may not understand
that this was before subwoofers became popular (or even available for that
matter) and so, to me, the Mach One's were the most KICK ASS SPEAKERS YOU
COULD BUY FOR BASS!!!

As I said in my previous post, as a DJ in junior high, I had access to those
speakers (and the large power-amp and mixer we used). After school, my
friends and I would set up the system in a class room and just BLAST our
favorite tunes (the system was LOUD in a gymnasium, it was DEAFENING in a
classroom). It was one of those times that I discovered that some types of
music (Kraftwerk in particular and the song "I Feel Love" by Donna Summers
come to mind) had this VERY low bass that could be felt througout your
entire body if loud enough. It was THEN AND THERE that my love of bass
began. And it was the Mach One's that took me there.

Later in High School, I got my hands on an old Ampeg bass guitar amplifier
(with two 15" woofers) and tube power-amp head that I hooked up to my system
in my bedroom (as a kind of subwoofer), and I FINALLY had what I had been
craving for years. MEGA BASS!!!! My neighbors were not as happy as I was
about this.

Nick

Posted to rec.audio.car

MOSFET wrote:
You know, I don't think I've ever heard the words "Tandy" (Radio Shack) and
"Audiophile" used in the same sentence. Just an observation.

Actually, it's a little amusing because although you can see Radio Shack
printed on the back of the speakers (in small letters in one of the photos),
the seller is EXTREMELY careful not to mention this little detail in the
VERY lengthy description.

MOSFET

"jailhouserock" wrote in message
ps.com...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

The early Allied stuff was good equipment, before it became Radio Shack

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...7495&rd =1&ss
pagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

The early Allied stuff was good equipment, before it became Radio Shack

I'm not sure what equipment your talking about. They did have some things, and some interesting
like electrostatic tweeter units. Most of the stuff was Knight Kits. My first Allied receiver (shortwave)
was a Span Master. I bought an Allied stereo receiver in 1969 maybe 15 wpc, along with a set of Utah
speakers, and AR turntable, after I got my first job. The receiver was not really very good. My first ampplifier
was an Allied Kit, and used gernanium transistors. Radio Shack had some Allied items for
a short time, but those didn't last long. Well Tandy does not own Allied any more,
but Allied is strickly industrial electronics. I always liked Lafafette myself, and Olsen
was neat.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

In article , (GregS) wrote:
In article .com,
"jailhouserock" wrote:

MOSFET wrote:
[...]

Oh, Tandy is back to doing what it did well, leathercraft.
Actually, the name seems to have turned around, from Tandy to Tandy Leathercraft, and
the Tandy name takes on new meanings.

greg