dufus

Default Stephen Sank Beyer M160 mod

Has anyone compared a stock M160 with a Sank modified M160? I'd like to

know if this makeover is right for my M160s. What happens to the top
octaves in particular? Any auditory impressions appreciated. Thanks.

Dufus

Fill X

personally, 160's i like just they way they are.

P h i l i p

______________________________

"I'm too ****ing busy and vice-versa"

- Dorothy Parker

Scott Dorsey

Fill X wrote:
personally, 160's i like just they way they are.

I agree. The Sank mod makes a 160 sound pretty much like a 77DX. I already
have a bunch of 77DXes that sound even more like a 77DX. And I like the 160
stock a lot.

If you want a 77DX and don't want to pay for a 77DX, it's a good way to go.
If you want a 160, it will make it into something that isn't a 160 at all.

Monte P McGuire

In article ,
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Fill X wrote:
personally, 160's i like just they way they are.

I agree. The Sank mod makes a 160 sound pretty much like a 77DX. I already
have a bunch of 77DXes that sound even more like a 77DX. And I like the 160
stock a lot.

To the original poster, try finding a blown out 260 and have that
modded. These things show up used every so often for short money. A
good 160 is quite a nice thing. It'd be far better to rescue a dead
260 than to mod a perfectly good 160.

Regards.

Monte McGuire

dufus

Can you give a short subjective description about the difference between the
two? I haven't heard a 77DX. One thing I've noticed about the stock M160, you
can really tell when it's on the cusp of acoustic overload: it gets really
bright and splashy. then I know to back off a bit if I'm micing a loud source.
Sank mentions a decrease in high freq. distortion post-mod.

Thanks,

Dufus

Roger W. Norman

The nice thing is the price that Stephen charges for his beyer mods.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Fill X wrote:
personally, 160's i like just they way they are.

I agree. The Sank mod makes a 160 sound pretty much like a 77DX. I

already
have a bunch of 77DXes that sound even more like a 77DX. And I like the

160
stock a lot.

If you want a 77DX and don't want to pay for a 77DX, it's a good way to

go.
If you want a 160, it will make it into something that isn't a 160 at all.

Ron Charles

All I can say is that every mic I have that has been through Sank's
hands sounds 300% better than it did when it was straight out of the
box. This guy works magic on everything he touches!.
Ron Charles

All I can say is that every mic I have that has been through Sank's
hands sounds 300% better than it did when it was straight out of the
box. This guy works magic on everything he touches!.
dufus

Which brand and model of ribbon mic(s) have you had modified? And what
was the "before and after" differences?

Dufus

LeBaron & Alrich

dufus wrote:

Which brand and model of ribbon mic(s) have you had modified? And what
was the "before and after" differences?

Google Advanced Groups Search:

http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search

--
ha
Jasonguitar Jasonguitar is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufus View Post
Has anyone compared a stock M160 with a Sank modified M160? I'd like to

know if this makeover is right for my M160s. What happens to the top
octaves in particular? Any auditory impressions appreciated. Thanks.

Dufus
I know this is an old post but I have some relevant info on this as we have an M-160DX Sank Modded over here and just purchased a stock M-160. When the stock one arrived I just did a quick A/B through the PA and was shocked at the difference. We have been so pleased with the modded M-160 which is the first M-160 I've ever used personally. We wanted a 2nd one and figured we would have the rare opportunity to do some A/B testing before we send the second one off to be modded. The stock mic is a LOT louder and has a much fuller sound. More highs and lows. The Sank modded mic has a huge high end roll of and way less gain. It does sound very smooth and I didn't have a chance yet to see what it sounds like when the preamp gains are matched but the initial A/B results were quite surprising. I'm now re-thinking this whole Sank modded philosophy because the M-160 stock has been revered for decades and when you mod one of these things it really is no longer an M-160 but becomes something else. I'll have to do some real A/B recording tests with guitars and drum overheads but I am glad I didn't just get a modded one because it may be advantageous to have an M-160 which is an M-160 and not an RCA sound alike.