Posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.audio.car,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
James James is offline

Default Front Speakers for 1997 Jeep Wrangler ?

I want new speakers for the front of my 1997 Jeep Wrangler. The stock
speakers are 4 x6, but I can buy an adaptor that will allow 5 1/4
speakers. I get the impression that I can get a better speaker in the 5
1/4 inch size than the 4 x6 size.

I have three questions:

1. What would be a good choice of speakers for this application ?
(specific model and brand)

2. Am I correct, is the 5 1/4 inch size inherently better than the
4 x6 size ?

3. For this specific car, would separate drivers/tweeters be
significantly better than a coaxial speaker ? Where would I surface mount
the tweeters ? Would separates be quite easy to install?

-------------------------------------

Thanks for any tips !!!!

--James--

Posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.audio.car,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Rich Rich is offline

Go t crutchfields, they can answer your questions far better than a bunch
of guys who drive Jeep trucks not cars.. Do a google search for them.
PS you'll **** off a bunch of guys on this NG if you call a Jeep a car...

--
Rich Harris :1986 CJ7, Detroits F/R, 4:10's, 33"BFGMT's, Mopar F/I, 4.0L
head, Crower Cam, Rubicon Express 2.5" Wrangler springs, Procomp MX6 Shocks,
"James" wrote in message
. ..

I want new speakers for the front of my 1997 Jeep Wrangler. The stock
speakers are 4 x6, but I can buy an adaptor that will allow 5 1/4
speakers. I get the impression that I can get a better speaker in the 5
1/4 inch size than the 4 x6 size.

I have three questions:

1. What would be a good choice of speakers for this application ?
(specific model and brand)

2. Am I correct, is the 5 1/4 inch size inherently better than
the
4 x6 size ?

3. For this specific car, would separate drivers/tweeters be
significantly better than a coaxial speaker ? Where would I surface
mount
the tweeters ? Would separates be quite easy to install?

-------------------------------------

Thanks for any tips !!!!

--James--

Posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.audio.car,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
James James is offline

Rich, I have emailed the exact question to Crutchfield. In fact, that is
where I started for info. I don't have an answer from them yet.

Regardless of what Crutchfield says, I still want to know from the actual
experience of the people on these groups. Usually, that info and input is
very informative.

Thanks for the reply Rich !!

--james--

Posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.audio.car,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Scott in Baltimore Scott in Baltimore is offline

James wrote:
I want new speakers for the front of my 1997 Jeep Wrangler. The stock
speakers are 4 x6, but I can buy an adaptor that will allow 5 1/4
speakers. I get the impression that I can get a better speaker in the 5
1/4 inch size than the 4 x6 size.

Back in 1997, there were no adapters for the speakers, so I made my own
brackets to mount them. I got some cheap pair of Polk 4x6's and made do.
With an eight inch speaker box from the local discount store, I've got tunes!

Be sure to have at least 50 watts per SPEAKER if you'd like to hear your tunes
with the top down. This amount of power allows you enough volume without lots
of distortion.
Posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.audio.car,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
BW BW is offline

James, You can buy these adapters on ebay for around $20 shipped and
yes you are right about the 5 1/4" speakers. I have done exactly what
you are looking to do and they sound great! I purchased a set of
Inifinity Kappas 5 1/4" off Ebay as well. One thing that will make it
sound a lot better is to get some cotton batting, you can find at
Walmart for a couple bucks (material/craft dept) or common rolled
insulation, add just enough to close in the back section of those
speakers openings, behind the speakers when installing. It'll help
throw the sound towards you instead of getting lost behind the dash
especially when the top is off.

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 16:48:31 -0500, "James"
wrote:

I want new speakers for the front of my 1997 Jeep Wrangler. The stock
speakers are 4 x6, but I can buy an adaptor that will allow 5 1/4
speakers. I get the impression that I can get a better speaker in the 5
1/4 inch size than the 4 x6 size.

I have three questions:

1. What would be a good choice of speakers for this application ?
(specific model and brand)

2. Am I correct, is the 5 1/4 inch size inherently better than the
4 x6 size ?

3. For this specific car, would separate drivers/tweeters be
significantly better than a coaxial speaker ? Where would I surface mount
the tweeters ? Would separates be quite easy to install?

-------------------------------------

Thanks for any tips !!!!

--James--

Posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.audio.car,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
James James is offline

Thanks for the tips BW !!!

--James--

Posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.audio.car,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
BW BW is offline

No Problem James, Glad I could help ya out. Didn't know if that first
one came through, used my other news reader sw, been having problems
with the news server....

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 08:07:12 -0500, "James"
wrote:

Thanks for the tips BW !!!

--James--

Posted to alt.jeep-l,rec.audio.car,rec.autos.jeep,rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
B A R R Y B A R R Y is offline

Regardless of what Crutchfield says, I still want to know from the actual
experience of the people on these groups. Usually, that info and input is
very informative.

No matter what you choose, put a baffle behind the speaker. The dash
speakers have nothing behind them, offering little bass response without
some sort of enclosure. The angle of the dash speakers is pretty bad
for sound quality. If we had ears on our knees, they'd be perfect.

FWIW, I've called my Wranglers "the Jeep" and "the car", but never "the
truck". G My Tacoma and the other pickups I've owned were/are "the
truck"...

Now, if my Jeeps were Scramblers...