Ron

Default 2003 Camry base -- need upgrade advice

Looking to improve the SQ on a base 2003 Camry. Questions for those
familiar with the internals:

1. Does the HU connect to a separate factory amp?
2. How are the 3.5" dash mounted speakers hooked up with the thin 6X9s in
the front doors? Is there a crossover? Paralleled? Or do they run off of
their own channels in a separate amp?
3. Which would be most cost-effective, yet best SQ upgrade:
a. Replace the HU
b. Replace the speakers
c. Add an amp (or replace the possible factory amp)
I suspect the head unit is of decent quality, but underpowered. The
ergonomics of the HU are excellent, however.
4. Anyone familiar with replacing the front door speakers? Components or
low-profile 6x9?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ron

hachiroku

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 07:27:21 -0700, Ron wrote:

Looking to improve the SQ on a base 2003 Camry. Questions for those
familiar with the internals:

1. Does the HU connect to a separate factory amp?
2. How are the 3.5" dash mounted speakers hooked up with the thin 6X9s in
the front doors? Is there a crossover? Paralleled? Or do they run off of
their own channels in a separate amp?
3. Which would be most cost-effective, yet best SQ upgrade:
a. Replace the HU
b. Replace the speakers
c. Add an amp (or replace the possible factory amp)
I suspect the head unit is of decent quality, but underpowered. The
ergonomics of the HU are excellent, however.
4. Anyone familiar with replacing the front door speakers? Components or
low-profile 6x9?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ron

Hey, Ron, I don't have answers to your questions, but as a rule, I just
yank whatever's there and replace it all. Most factory amps are 20 Watts,
some are 40. It is probably mounted in the trunk, behind the carpet
looking stuff, if so equipped.

If you're not on a budget, I would just buy the peices I like and install
them (or have them installed if you're mechanically declined That way
you can get the sound you're looking for.

I have a Chrysler LHS as well as my 'stable' of Toyotas, and I asked the
same question in the Dodge group, never got an answer. So I just hooked
one up, and it sounds great. I have the Infinity system, which sounds good
anyway, but I wanted to play MP3s. Now, I think I'll replace the speakers
with MB Quarts....