Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default Rove's Waterloo

Scottie, I admit I've 'forgotten' the nuances of your 'thoughts' about
truthiness in government. I know you say it's OK for repubs to lie if it
enables them to thwart the dems. And your 'definition' of treason is pretty
flexible, so I expect you'll make allowances when charges of malfeasance are
leveled at your beloved republicans. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if
your idea of "wiggle room" for the likes of Karl Rove encompases the entire
breadth and width of our country.

Nonetheless, the game is afoot in Washington, as reported by CNN:

"Rove, Miers agree to questioning about U.S. attorney firings

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Former White House political adviser Karl Rove and
counsel Harriet Miers have agreed to face questions from Congress about
allegations of improper political influence in the Justice Department, the
House Judiciary Committee announced Wednesday.

Both will give depositions to investigators from the committee, and claims
of privilege will be "significantly limited," according to a statement from
the committee.

Rove and Miers had been resisting congressional subpoenas about the matter
since the House Judiciary Committee began trying to force Miers to testify
in 2006. The Bush White House resisted, claiming she could not be compelled
to appear. But a federal judge in Washington ruled that the former Bush
administration officials had no grounds to invoke executive privilege in the
case."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/03/04/congress.justice/index.html

Does it matter if CNN has a liberal bias, a conservative bias, or no bias? I
can't keep all your 'rules' of 'fairness' straight.

Everybody knows what happened at DOJ under Alberto "Torture is Great"
Gonzales. People were hired and fired on the basis of their personal
political ideologies. Some say that's against the law. Here's an article
that lays out some specifics:

"DOJ: Gonzales Aides Violated Federal Law

WASHINGTON — Former Justice Department officials broke the law by letting
Bush administration politics dictate the hiring of prosecutors, immigration
judges and other career government lawyers, according to an internal
investigation released Monday.

For nearly two years, top advisers to then-Attorney General Alberto Gonzales
discriminated against applicants for career jobs who weren't Republican or
conservative loyalists, the Justice report found.

At times, their search for GOP activists delayed filling judgeships and
threatened to clog immigration courts, the report said.

The federal government makes a distinction between "career" and "political"
appointees, and it's a violation of civil service laws and Justice
Department policy to hire career employees on the basis of political
affiliation or allegiance."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/28/doj-gonzales-aide-violate_n_115339.html

Is the Huffington Post liberal, conservative, or "fair and balanced"? I know
that's how you determine the truthiness of a news story.

As the investigation proceeds, my guess is that they'll give Miers immunity
in order to nail Rove, Gonzales, and others. I'm sure we'll hear you
shrieking about 'persecution' when sentences are passed.

--

"Less Thinking and More Yapping -- Vote Republican!"
-- Scottie Witlessmongrel's vision