Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast,rec.arts.tv
[email protected] SFTVratings_troy@yahoo.com is offline

Default [O--T] THE HD RADIO sub-channels - Just a few of my favorite formats

Check it out for yourself:
http://www.clearchannelmusic.com/formatlab

40s
50s
60s
70s
80s
90s
2000s

AT40 w/ Kasey Kasem - lots of obscure, rarely heard 80s songs
Blues Channel
Can You Dig It ("old skool" hip-hop/ motown)
Classic Dance (disco)
Classic Country (50s/60s)
Endless Love (romantic)
The GiG (live concerts)
Heat (rhythm and blues)
Jazz
JokeJoke (comedy greats)

Kiwi (for teens)
La Bomba (latin music)
The Mood (slow, easy listening)
NASCAR
New Age
New Hits (just-released stuff/interviews)
The Number Ones (only the best)
RadioRadio (classic alternative 70s/80s)
Relaxation Channel (sounds of nature)

Random (anything)
Sirens (all women)
Showtunes
Totally Kids (Hannah Montana, Jonas Bros, et cetera)
Trancid (house)
Undies Indie Rock
Undiscovered
Vegas Gold (the standards)

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
[email protected] PocketRadio@gmail.com is offline

On Oct 2, 6:54?am, wrote:
[...]

"HD Hypocrisy"

"Here's a few more reasons why only iBiquity and a few clueless radio
group heads could make a big thing out of HD radio tagging... The very
damn radio stations that broadcast in HD offer no programming worth
listening to. HD Radio is a virtual sewer of formats owners don't want
on their terrestrial frequencies and other assorted garbage that no
one sane would listen to -- let alone spend money for new radios --
tagging or not."

http://insidemusicmedia.blogspot.com...hypocrisy.html

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
Roadie Roadie is offline

On Oct 2, 6:54 am, wrote:
[...]

Wow...that's pretty impressive.

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
[email protected] feloniousmouse@aol.com is offline

On Oct 2, 3:54 am, wrote:
Check it out for yourself:http://www.clearchannelmusic.com/formatlab

You've never once listened to any of these. Better luck next time,
liar

[...]

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
Steve[_12_] Steve[_12_] is offline

On Oct 2, 6:54 am, wrote:
[...]

Is this it? This is laughable! Have you been on the internet recently?

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
Taylor Taylor is offline

On Oct 2, 6:54 am, wrote:
[...]

No thanks. I'm still waiting for the invention of the HD 8-Track. :-D

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast

On Oct 2, 6:54?am, wrote:
[...]

The problem is the "personalized" music services, such as Pandor,
Slacker, and Last.FM which allow the listener to program their own
"personalized" music stations. clearchannelmusic.com/hdradio just runs
what some programmer thinks listeners want to hear, not listener
chosen, personalized playlists. This is why, such new technologies,
such as Ford's (Microsoft's) new Sync will allow seamless streaming of
iPods and cell phones that contain Pandora, to in-dash units which
will revolutionize the way music is played - it is over for such
antiquated technologies as HD Radio. It is only a matter of time.

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
David Eduardo David Eduardo is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...

The problem is the "personalized" music services, such as Pandor,
Slacker, and Last.FM which allow the listener to program their own
"personalized" music stations. clearchannelmusic.com/hdradio just runs
what some programmer thinks listeners want to hear, not listener
chosen, personalized playlists.

The playlists on terrestrial radio are chosen by listeners.

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast

Steve wrote:
On Oct 2, 6:54 am, wrote:
Check it out for yourself:http://www.clearchannelmusic.com/formatlab

Is this it? This is laughable! Have you been on the internet recently?

There are more channels listed there, then exist on Radio AOL / XM.

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast

On Oct 2, 12:33 pm, wrote:

such as Ford's (Microsoft's) new Sync will allow seamless streaming of
iPods and cell phones that contain Pandora

I thought the RIAA was against user-selected songs. For example if
you use Pandora, the *machine* chooses the music, not you.

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 11:02:30 -0700, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...

The problem is the "personalized" music services, such as Pandor,
Slacker, and Last.FM which allow the listener to program their own
"personalized" music stations. clearchannelmusic.com/hdradio just runs
what some programmer thinks listeners want to hear, not listener
chosen, personalized playlists.

The playlists on terrestrial radio are chosen by listeners.

The UK radio station I listen to most doesn't have a playlist. It has
news, features, radio plays, comedies, arcane quizzes, book readings,
deep current affairs, arts programmes....

I don't want radio that plays records. I can buy records. I want all
that other good stuff.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
George Grapman George Grapman is offline

Roadie wrote:
On Oct 2, 6:54 am, wrote:
[...]

See you later. I am running out to get a new radio.
Of course XM ,Sirius and the internet have almost all of those and
more and unlike those services I do not see baseball (XM and internet)
or NFL (Sirius and internet).
Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
Steve[_12_] Steve[_12_] is offline

On Oct 2, 2:15 pm, wrote:
Steve wrote:
On Oct 2, 6:54 am, wrote:
Check it out for yourself:http://www.clearchannelmusic.com/formatlab

Is this it? This is laughable! Have you been on the internet recently?

There are more channels listed there, then exist on Radio AOL / XM.

LOL!!! Do two websites exhaust the internet?

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
David Eduardo David Eduardo is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 2, 12:33 pm, wrote:

such as Ford's (Microsoft's) new Sync will allow seamless streaming of
iPods and cell phones that contain Pandora

I thought the RIAA was against user-selected songs. For example if
you use Pandora, the *machine* chooses the music, not you.

You can create a start point, with a list of songs. Pandora creates a
playlist based on those songs, and you can indicate those you like a lot or
don't want to hear again, and Pandora refines its list for you. It is very
cool, particularly the engine behind it.

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
David Kaye David Kaye is offline

On Oct 2, 1:13 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:

You can create a start point, with a list of songs. Pandora creates a
playlist based on those songs, and you can indicate those you like a lot or
don't want to hear again, and Pandora refines its list for you. It is very
cool, particularly the engine behind it.

I'm not convinced. All I had to do was choose Bob Wills as a starting
point and Pandora began selecting everything from Willie Nelson to
Travis Tritt. Uh, no. Bob Wills is closer to Benny Goodman than to
the country stars. The so-called "music genome" project is not
science. It is a subjective measure based on obvious bias; in this
case a bias that says "all country music is the same". I happen to
hate most country music, but I'll drop what I'm doing to go out and
hear any Western swing band.

I happen to know a couple people who work for Pandora as listeners or
evaluators or whatever they're called. They're not convinced that the
"genome" project is very scientific at all.

Their "engine" such as it is, appears to be a database that selects
based on an average of about 30 of their 200 or so criteria. And it
looks as if they toss in an occasional random selection about every 20
songs or so.

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
David Eduardo David Eduardo is offline

"David Kaye" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 2, 1:13 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:

You can create a start point, with a list of songs. Pandora creates a
playlist based on those songs, and you can indicate those you like a lot
or
don't want to hear again, and Pandora refines its list for you. It is
very
cool, particularly the engine behind it.

I'm not convinced. All I had to do was choose Bob Wills as a starting
point and Pandora began selecting everything from Willie Nelson to
Travis Tritt. Uh, no. Bob Wills is closer to Benny Goodman than to
the country stars. The so-called "music genome" project is not
science. It is a subjective measure based on obvious bias; in this
case a bias that says "all country music is the same". I happen to
hate most country music, but I'll drop what I'm doing to go out and
hear any Western swing band.

The Pandora technology uses a very complex fingerprint of a song, not
someone's assumption of genre, style, etc.

I happen to know a couple people who work for Pandora as listeners or
evaluators or whatever they're called. They're not convinced that the
"genome" project is very scientific at all.

Their "engine" such as it is, appears to be a database that selects
based on an average of about 30 of their 200 or so criteria. And it
looks as if they toss in an occasional random selection about every 20
songs or so.

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast

On Oct 2, 2:15 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:

The Pandora technology uses a very complex fingerprint of a song, not
someone's assumption of genre, style, etc.

I have seen their criteria and have emailed back and forth several
times with someone who apparently knows a lot about Pandora's
algorithms. Once again, all you have to do is set Bob Wills as the
artist and Pandora goes silly.

I just did it to verify my claim, as I haven't used Pandora in over a
year. Here's what happened:

Bob Wills
Lefty Frizzelle (good match)
George Jones (crap)
Slim Dusty (cripes!)
Bob Wills (good match)
Loretta Lynn (uh, no)
BR549 (yecchhh!)
Flatt & Scruggs (bluegrass?)
Bobby Helms (good match)
Ernest Tubb (oh....my....)

So, Pandora thinks that Western swing is equal to honky-tonk and
Nashville sound. No, it's not. Nashville Sound is deplorable. Honky-
tonk is good if you like guitars and like to cry in your beer. But
neither of these genres is equal to Western swing. And what's
bluegrass doing in there?

I don't know how to impress upon you that there is nothing scientific
about this. The listeners are uneducated in the 10 genres of country
music, and don't know the differences among them, so they lump it all
together as "country" because they think it's all the same.

Western swing (as anybody who grew up in the Southwest or in the Bay
Area knows) is a distinct genre of country more closely related to be-
bop and swing than it is to honky-tonk or bluegrass. You won't find a
banjo in Western, but you'll likely find a piano or a sax.

Some people educated in music (Pandora hires lots of musicians) could
tell differences in tempos, beat emphasis, instruments used, stanza
structure (AABB, AABA, etc) and other criteria, but they're NOT using
these criteria in evaluating Western swing music. They're using
purely subjective criteria. They're calling it all "country" and much
of it's junk.

Go try it for yourself, starting with Bob Wills as the artist. Then
listen to what you get. The choices go all over the board, and they
most certainly don't swing, well most of them don't anyway.

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
SFTV_troy SFTV_troy is offline

David Eduardo wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 2, 12:33 pm, wrote:

such as Ford's (Microsoft's) new Sync will allow seamless streaming of
iPods and cell phones that contain Pandora

I thought the RIAA was against user-selected songs. For example if
you use Pandora, the *machine* chooses the music, not you.

You can create a start point, with a list of songs. Pandora creates a
playlist based on those songs, and you can indicate those you like a lot or
don't want to hear again, and Pandora refines its list for you. It is very
cool, particularly the engine behind it.

I found it to be very ineffective. I would type in Avril Lavigne who
I like, and then it would play some dumb song from some no-name artist
I'd never heard. And I'd click "skip". Again and again. Eventually
it reached a point where Pandora kept playing the same songs over-and-
over.

I prefer a human programmer. They'll typically do a "no repeat
workday" thus providing lots of variety, but also having a huge
library of classic hits.

Even an Ipod on shuffle is better than pandora. Computers are dumb,
and the computer behind Pandora is also quite dumb with its poor
selections & repetitive playing.

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
David Kaye David Kaye is offline

I spoke with a Clear Chanel guy (yes, I do seem to know everybody) and
he told me that the Format Lab is a test designed to discover listener
acceptance of new format ideas. He told me that they gauge number of
listeners, time spent listening, time of day, and listener location
(to a certain extent). I asked about registration, and he said that
the idea is to bring in the most listeners possible and that
registration reduces response by as much as 80%, so they don't do
it.

I don't know of any CCU stations that have used a Format Lab format in
changing station formats, so I don't know the mechanism for doing
that.

I find myself listening to Format Lab often as I sit in cafes. Among
my favorites at the moment are Undies (underground indies), and Vegas
Gold, which is mostly lounge singers of yesterday and today.

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
Telamon Telamon is offline

In article om,
wrote:

I'm listening to some of them right now (at work).

More baloney for the pretend digital engineer. Every place of business
I've worked at bans audio streaming. Your employer does not want the
bandwidth he pays for going for your entertainment.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
[email protected] PocketRadio@gmail.com is offline

On Oct 2, 2:02?pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

The problem is the "personalized" music services, such as Pandor,
Slacker, and Last.FM which allow the listener to program their own
"personalized" music stations. clearchannelmusic.com/hdradio just runs
what some programmer thinks listeners want to hear, not listener
chosen, personalized playlists.

The playlists on terrestrial radio are chosen by listeners.

Where the hell did you get THAT idea - laughable!

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
[email protected] PocketRadio@gmail.com is offline

On Oct 2, 2:02?pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

The problem is the "personalized" music services, such as Pandor,
Slacker, and Last.FM which allow the listener to program their own
"personalized" music stations. clearchannelmusic.com/hdradio just runs
what some programmer thinks listeners want to hear, not listener
chosen, personalized playlists.

The playlists on terrestrial radio are chosen by listeners.

"News/Talk/Sports:Radio's Last Bastion"

"Music FMs of any flavor are utterly screwed... Right now -- while FMs
are losing the music audience to new media -- satellite radio is
offering more News/Talk/Sports programming than we can fit on AM
radio..."

http://ftp.media.radcity.net/ZMST/daily/IS031005.htm

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
[email protected] PocketRadio@gmail.com is offline

On Oct 2, 5:15?pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"David Kaye" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

songs or so.- Hide quoted text -

"News/Talk/Sports:Radio's Last Bastion"

"Music FMs of any flavor are utterly screwed... Right now -- while FMs
are losing the music audience to new media -- satellite radio is
offering more News/Talk/Sports programming than we can fit on AM
radio..."

http://ftp.media.radcity.net/ZMST/daily/IS031005.htm

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
David Eduardo David Eduardo is offline

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 2, 2:02?pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

The problem is the "personalized" music services, such as Pandor,
Slacker, and Last.FM which allow the listener to program their own
"personalized" music stations. clearchannelmusic.com/hdradio just runs
what some programmer thinks listeners want to hear, not listener
chosen, personalized playlists.

The playlists on terrestrial radio are chosen by listeners.

Where the hell did you get THAT idea - laughable!

Because listener research is used to determine the good and bad songs so
stations can play the best ones. You really don't think that a station
program director just makes up the list of songs to be played, do you?

http://www.davidgleason.com/Radio%20Research.htm shows how this is done.

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
RHF RHF is offline

On Oct 2, 10:36 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

On Oct 2, 2:02?pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

The problem is the "personalized" music services, such as Pandor,
Slacker, and Last.FM which allow the listener to program their own
"personalized" music stations. clearchannelmusic.com/hdradio just runs
what some programmer thinks listeners want to hear, not listener
chosen, personalized playlists.

The playlists on terrestrial radio are chosen by listeners.

Where the hell did you get THAT idea - laughable!

- Because listener research is used to determine the good and
- bad songs so stations can play the best ones.

- You really don't think that a station program director just
- makes up the list of songs to be played, do you?

Considering the questionable accuracy of the information on
your personal webpage -you just may be making up the list-

- http://www.davidgleason.com/Radio%20Research.htm
- shows how this is done.

Who Would Know ? -and- Who Would Care ?
Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
Steve[_12_] Steve[_12_] is offline

On Oct 3, 1:36 am, "David Eduardo" wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

On Oct 2, 2:02?pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

The problem is the "personalized" music services, such as Pandor,
Slacker, and Last.FM which allow the listener to program their own
"personalized" music stations. clearchannelmusic.com/hdradio just runs
what some programmer thinks listeners want to hear, not listener
chosen, personalized playlists.

The playlists on terrestrial radio are chosen by listeners.

Where the hell did you get THAT idea - laughable!

Because listener research is used to determine the good and bad songs so
stations can play the best ones. You really don't think that a station
program director just makes up the list of songs to be played, do you?

http://www.davidgleason.com/Radio%20Research.htmshows how this is done.- Hide quoted text -

This site is pretty handy. It also tells you how to forge your
academic credentials.

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast

THIS DISCUSSION IS OFF-TOPIC FOR REC.AUDIO.TECH
(AND REC.AUDIO.CAR, FOR THAT MATTER)
PLEASE DROP REC.AUDIO.TECH FROM THIS DISCUSSION
Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast

THIS DISCUSSION IS OFF-TOPIC FOR REC.AUDIO.TECH
(AND REC.AUDIO.CAR, FOR THAT MATTER)
PLEASE DROP REC.AUDIO.TECH FROM THIS DISCUSSION

Posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.car,ba.broadcast
Steve[_12_] Steve[_12_] is offline

On Oct 3, 8:52 am, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
THIS DISCUSSION IS OFF-TOPIC FOR REC.AUDIO.TECH
(AND REC.AUDIO.CAR, FOR THAT MATTER)
PLEASE DROP REC.AUDIO.TECH FROM THIS DISCUSSION

Please drop rec.radio.shortwave as well.