west

Default Maxi-Matcher

Hi Rats,
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the Maxi-Matcher? It' used
only for output tubes and can match a pair, quad, etc. It doesn't take the
place of a tube tester, OTH, a tt ca not do what it can. Thoughts?
Cordially,
west

cowboy

the maxi-matcher is good in a pinch, it is better than nothing

but think about it, the TV-7 cost $3800 new, that is like $25,000 in today
dollars, do you really expect the Maxi-matcher to compete with an advanced
tester like TV-7 or Hickok for a 50th of the price??

I know the young gals can build things overseas now for cheap, and that the
U.S. government is notorious for overpaying, but trying to get a $500 tester
to compete with a $25,000 one is really stretching the limits of what a 13
year old chinese girl can do for you!

save your money and put it towards a TV-7 or better Hickok with enough set
aside for a thorough check-out, caps replaced, and pro calibration.

cheers!

cowboy

"west" wrote in message
Hi Rats,
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the Maxi-Matcher? It'
used
only for output tubes and can match a pair, quad, etc. It doesn't take the
place of a tube tester, OTH, a tt ca not do what it can. Thoughts?
Cordially,
west

Fabio Berutti

I'm building a stabilised power supply for B+ @450V and a stabilised grid
negative supply with Zeners. Then I'll prepare a box with different sockets
wired to plugs 1 to 9 (ain't gonna test Decatrons) and I'll be able to
measure what I want for any tube using just my tested and true Fluke 185.

The fun is MAKING it, after all..

Ciao

FB

"west" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hi Rats,
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the Maxi-Matcher? It'
used
only for output tubes and can match a pair, quad, etc. It doesn't take the
place of a tube tester, OTH, a tt ca not do what it can. Thoughts?
Cordially,
west

west

I agree with you Cowboy, but those we know are selling TV-7D/Us for $700 and
800. Alan Douglas (the author) and a few well respected RATs told me that
$600 is too much to pay for that tester. That's what's taking me so long.
2100aweek (I think that's Jerry's ebay moniker) has one on Ebay now for $800
Buy It Now. I don't understand.
Cordially,
west BTW: Of course the Maxi-Matcher can't compete with the aforementioned
tester but it matches output tubes well.

"west" wrote in message
Hi Rats,
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the Maxi-Matcher? It'
used
only for output tubes and can match a pair, quad, etc. It doesn't take

the
place of a tube tester, OTH, a tt ca not do what it can. Thoughts?
Cordially,
west

Rich Sherman

I would buy the Tube Analyzer. At the moment this is on my to-buy list for
2005!

http://www.transcendentsound.com/tube_analyzer.htm

"west" wrote in message
Hi Rats,
Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with the Maxi-Matcher? It'

used
only for output tubes and can match a pair, quad, etc. It doesn't take the
place of a tube tester, OTH, a tt ca not do what it can. Thoughts?
Cordially,
west

Lord Valve

Rich Sherman wrote:

I would buy the Tube Analyzer. At the moment this is on my to-buy list for
2005!

http://www.transcendentsound.com/tube_analyzer.htm

Why would you want a piece of tube tesgear that only has 300VDC for the plate
available? What are you going to test tubes for - car
radios, or something?

Lord Valve
American

Rich Sherman

Hi Lord Valve:

I sent Bruce a mail about beefing-up the voltage to 450VDC, if he responds I
will let you know
what hi design rationale was for only 300 VDC.

Agreed that 300 VDC @ 50 ma is a bit weak for benchmarking power tubes.
Yet for many other tubes this tester seems to provide some good features.

Car radio's.... hummm maybe I should buy a Dynamotor and look for an early
Motorola
radio to install in my Chevy Nova...

I'll let you know wassup with the 300V if I get a response.

Thanks,
Rich

"Lord Valve" wrote in message

Rich Sherman wrote:

I would buy the Tube Analyzer. At the moment this is on my to-buy list

for
2005!

http://www.transcendentsound.com/tube_analyzer.htm

Why would you want a piece of tube tesgear that only has 300VDC for the

plate
available? What are you going to test tubes for - car
radios, or something?

Lord Valve
American

cowboy

try to ignore Phil, Andre, Lord Valve, and the other retards in this forum

that is what the killfile feature is for

that tube analyzer looks very interesting, much more so than a
"maxi-matcher"

I am thinking of getting one as well, although I see no advantage over a
good tube tester unless you are interested in testing tubes at a particular
operating point

cowboy