terry donald

Default Capacitor sizes

Hi all,
I'm very new to tube gear and wondered if someone would explain to me
differences in the physical size of electrolytic caps? By this I mean
that, in having to change a couple of caps in an amp, lets say 2200uF at
450V, I could get one that was about 20mm x 50mm...but there were others,
one in particular a RIFA cap that was 70mm x 120mm. Does the physical size
of a cap make any difference to its operation?

John A. Weeks III

In article opscs14twep4wifg@robert, terry donald
wrote:

I'm very new to tube gear and wondered if someone would explain to me
differences in the physical size of electrolytic caps? By this I mean
that, in having to change a couple of caps in an amp, lets say 2200uF at
450V, I could get one that was about 20mm x 50mm...but there were others,
one in particular a RIFA cap that was 70mm x 120mm. Does the physical size
of a cap make any difference to its operation?

Size does not matter in this case. Over the years, the materials
used to build caps has gotten better, and as a result, caps have
gotten smaller. What is critical is that the voltage rating is
maintained. If you need a 450V cap, replace it with at least a
450V cap. Capacity rating is not too critical on large electrolytic
caps. Being -10% and +100% is normally pretty acceptable for a
replacement value. The values stamped on these things are pretty
nominal anyway--the real value can vary quite a bit.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com