chung

Default tweaks and proof

Bromo wrote:

On 6/27/04 1:18 PM, in article wjDDc.118970$HG.109026@attbi_s53, "chung"
wrote:

Despite, or in addition to, what the designers may
(or may not) tell you, the consumer should try to think independently
and use his/her own reasoning skills.

Well some often do. They get smacked around in RAHE for doing so sometimes.

Care to cite examples?

A quick perusal of the archives ought to do it - something you should be
very capable of doing.

A google search of "smacked around" in RAHE did not return any examples.
So obviously this is figurative speech. I want to ask for examples since
I am interested in knowing what you and your friends consider as being
"smacked around".

A few times I posted some items (some right some wrong) people were quick to
point out that I was incorrect, but very few took the time to try to set the
record straight and do a decent job of correction.

So being "smacked around" means being pointed out you were wrong?

Is it our obligation to provide a decent job of correction? What do you
consider a decent job of correction?

IIRC, when I corrected your use of "Taylor series", when you should have
said "Fourier analysis", you got really defensive. I tried to explain
what is a Taylor series and what is a Fourier transform, and you accused
me of jumping on to correct your errors and berating you. Of course you
later admitted that I was correct and you were wrong after all, but I
guess it would have been too much for me to ask for an apology. Or ask
you to thank me for the "decent job" of correction .

S888Wheel

From: chung
Date: 6/27/2004 10:18 AM Pacific Standard Time

From: chung

Date: 6/25/2004 11:32 AM Pacific Standard Time
From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 6/23/2004 4:10 PM Pacific Standard Time
Bromo
wrote:

On 6/20/04 11:09 PM, in article
, "Nousaine"
wrote:

It's all hand waving with out any specifics. That would be the case
here
on
both sides.

Let me ask again. If I'm not mistaken you have said that anything that
can
be
heard can be measured or perhaps that was more like 'if you can't
measure
difference than there would be nothing to hear' or something similar.

then
asked exactly what measureable differences would explain amp/cable

sound
and I don't recall a response.

Again what should we be measuring to confirm 'amp/wire' sound that we
haven't
already done?

It might be that no one knows. If you notice something - even if 10
people
were to denounce you - it does not mean you know the mechanism, nor are
you
the expert on what measurements to make.

So how do they "design" products then .... by making random choices? Are
some
people just lucky?

Why would you ask the consumer how the designer opperates? I suggest you
pose
those questions to actual designers and let them speak for themselves.

Uh, Tom's intent of asking those questions is to make the consumer think
about the questions.

It seems that when many consumers do so the objectivists get very upset

with
any eroneous conclusions they may draw.

Really? It seems like some of the people who came up with the erroneous
conclusions get unhappy when it was pointed out to them why those
conclusions were erroneous. I did not sense any objectivists getting
upset over these erroneous conclusions at all.

The question is better answered by the
designers and the consumer is better served if the answers come form the
designers.

If you would say they "listen" to them for validation
then
I wonder why haven't any of them made listening test validation public?

Ask the people who know, the designers. After all these years of debate

you
should have already considered this.

Again, you missed Tom's intent, which was to make you, the consumer,
think. And question.

I think I get his intent. It looks very much like a shell game played on
consumers who are not technically qualified to discuss such issues.

Wait a minute. Tom was asking some very general questions on the design
process. I would think that someone not being very technical can still
give an educated guess.

What is the point of guessing? I think such guesses are nothing more than shark
food.

Or start thinking about an answer.

Why? Some of us would really prefer to get at the best sound we can get without
becoming EEs.

I think Tom
is just waiting for one subjectivbist to give a technically inept answer so

he
can pounce on that person.

Can you give some examples of Tom's "pouncing"?

I'm sure I could if I wanted to do the search. If you want to think this is of
no interest to Tom fine.

If it were truly a
technically inept answer, would you object strongly if someone points
that out?

Hey if you guys enjoy subjectivist hunting on RAHE that's fine. We all have our
hobbies. If one asks for an opinion and then attacks the opinion asked for that
is simply baiting a sure win debate. May be great for the ego but it does
nothing to advance the hobby of audio. I noticed nobody took the bait.

The fact is it doesn't matter what answer he gets
from the consumer. The question is one that should be posed to the

designer.

Why?

Because they aren't guessing. It could lead to a discussion that would be
relevant. Maybe you think discussions on someone's mistaken beliefs about
another designers work and intentions is interesting. I don't.

The consumer should be thinking about those questions, too.

They "should'? Where is this rule of audiophilia written?

Despite, or in addition to, what the designers may
(or may not) tell you, the consumer should try to think independently
and use his/her own reasoning skills.

Well some often do. They get smacked around in RAHE for doing so sometimes.

Care to cite examples?

Not really. If you don't think it actually happens I'm not going to try to
persuade you otherwise. People see what they want to see. I think it has been
pretty obvious.

S888Wheel

From: chung
Date: 6/27/2004 10:18 AM Pacific Standard Time

From: chung

Date: 6/25/2004 11:32 AM Pacific Standard Time
From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 6/23/2004 4:10 PM Pacific Standard Time
Bromo
wrote:

On 6/20/04 11:09 PM, in article
, "Nousaine"
wrote:

[...]

S888Wheel

From: (Nousaine)
Date: 6/27/2004 10:18 AM Pacific Standard Time

(S888Wheel) wrote:

...snips....

So how do they "design" products then .... by making random choices? Are
some
people just lucky?

Why would you ask the consumer how the designer opperates? I suggest you
pose
those questions to actual designers and let them speak for themselves.

Uh, Tom's intent of asking those questions is to make the consumer think
about the questions.

And it assumes that I have not asked designers of high-end tweak products how
they design products.

Not entirely an assumption. This isn't the first time I have asked you about
this. So far you have never described any such dialogues with designers that
fit the picture or even acknowledged having had any such discussions. After a
while it is reasonable to deduct that no such dialogues have taken place.

The answers have been basically obfuscation. None has defined a process.

I guess this means you have hads such discussions. care to name names and tell
us more precisely what these designers actually said?

The "lab"at a wire company was a conference room a single "piece" of
electronic
equipment that was idle and the room was empty during my visity. Of course
all
by itself that means nothing.... but so do uncontrolled listening "tests."

Which company was this?

It seems that when many consumers do so the objectivists get very upset with
any eroneous conclusions they may draw. The question is better answered by
the
designers and the consumer is better served if the answers come form the
designers.

And how many has Mr Wheeler asked?

Several actually.

And what were the answers he received?

Bill Johnson said the design proccess was one of intuitive ideas followed with
a lot of listening with some trial and error and a lot more listening. The
trial and error part was usually in finding the best components and materials.

Peter Forsell said his design wrok was mostly trial and error. His turntable
went through over fifty different incarnations, All decisions were based on
listening tests.

Andy Payor claims his aproach was quite the opposite. The work was done very
much on paper with little trial and error.

If you would say they "listen" to them for validation
then
I wonder why haven't any of them made listening test validation public?

Ask the people who know, the designers. After all these years of debate

you
should have already considered this.

Mr Wheeler thinks that I haven't?

Up until now I doubted it due to your failure to ever give a specific answer
when ever asked about it. You still haven't named any names of designers who
have discussed their design proccess with you.

Again, you missed Tom's intent, which was to make you, the consumer,
think. And question.

I think I get his intent. It looks very much like a shell game played on
consumers who are not technically qualified to discuss such issues. I think
Tom
is just waiting for one subjectivbist to give a technically inept answer so
he
can pounce on that person. The fact is it doesn't matter what answer he gets
from the consumer. The question is one that should be posed to the designer.

And as an enthusiast Mr Wheeler hasn't asked these questions himself?

Not of other consumers. I don't expect them to speak for the designers.

Despite, or in addition to, what the designers may
(or may not) tell you, the consumer should try to think independently
and use his/her own reasoning skills.

Well some often do. They get smacked around in RAHE for doing so sometimes.

"Smacked around?" Of whom do you speak?

I guess Bromo hasn't been "smacked around" lately has he?

Bromo

On 6/27/04 1:09 PM, in article , "chung"
wrote:

I believe that it is a mistake for someone who hears a difference,
scientist, consumer or designer, unless really skilled in the art, to offer
and "explanation" - because invariably a debunker will be able to refute the
explanation (only proving the someone in question didn't know why the
difference was noted) and avoid the more difficult and intellectually
important task of proving or disproving the observation.

Now let's give a counter example to illustrate how you are wrong. SACD
and CD versions of the same recording were sometimes assumed to be
mastered identically and any superiority of the sound clearly due to the
better technical specs of DSD. Recently people noticed that on some
Telarc recording, the two versions sound different.

Careful inspection of the CD wave files shows digital clipping. This
clearly indicates an intentional compression on the CD by the mastering
engineer. Follow-up emails to Telarc confirm this.

So here is an example that shows people hear differences, and were able
to provide an explanation that runs counter to the popular notion that
the two versions are mastered the same way, or that DSD has to be
superior. Now, Mr. Bromo, why don't you try to refute this explanation?

Okay - someone not skilled in the art could pose a number of "explanations"
for the different sounds - many of which would be wrong. If this person
were to claim that they heard a difference and it was because they had
bathed their CD player in warm milk (your particular favorite example) -
again an explanation that would be a wild guess - so a debunker could easily
refute the warm milk theory and be no closer to the root cause.

There.

Harry Lavo

"chung" wrote in message
Bromo wrote:

On 6/27/04 1:51 AM, in article FftDc.99337$2i5.10037@attbi_s52,

"S888Wheel"
wrote:

[...]

By the way, Norm Strong provided a link to this incident a few days ago.

Yes, but you conveniently overlook two things:

1) You and the other objectivists used to argue that the SA-CD layer sounded
better than the CD layer because the SA-CD layer had been artificially
boosted in volume. Exactly the opposite is true, which all else being
equal, would give the advantage to the CD layer.

2) Of course, all else is not equal since there is compression and clipping.
Which should lead you to ponder that these artifacts were heard without dbt
as an inferior sound from the CD layer by those of us who thought the SACD
sound superior.

3) None of this necessarily establishes that CD will sound as good as SACD
even if they are exactly level matched and uncompressed.

Sometimes things don't fit conveniently into the boxes you wish to put them
in.

Bromo

On 6/27/04 4:17 PM, in article rXFDc.125025$Sw.22327@attbi_s51, "chung"
wrote:

And you feel that lumping the fools and the geniuses together as
designers is fair to the geniuses?

Are you going to be the arbitrator of who the fools and geniuses are? Are you
so brilliant that you can make that determination for the world?

Gee, when did I ever say that? You were the one who said that there were
fools and geniuses...

Of course, what you call geniuses I may disagree, so how could there be
an arbitrator in this case?

Hey guys - didn't you know is it I who arbitrate who is called genius and
fool? :-)

Bromo

On 6/27/04 5:56 PM, in article , "chung"
wrote:

My anecdote about engineers laughing was simply intended to show you how
engineers look at some of these claims. No proof was attempted.

Given that you have misunderstood, no sense in responding to what you
wrote below.

I mentioned my wife observed something - and got piled on by others on this
group for that being a cop-out. I would bring to the group's attention that
regardless of the qualifications of his friends - he is saying his "wife"
thought that it was ridiculous.

Did I mention my wife has a PhD in particle physics? No? It's because she
doesn't - but you see how the qualifications shouldn't validate the "my
friends bust out laughing" or "my wife noticed it from the other room" are
the *same* explanation and should have no bearing.

Actually using laughter of people who were alleged engineers is not more
convincing that using other anecdotes of other friends, wives and so on.
After all, your friends might be audio engineers, train engineers, plumber
engineers (as in England), mechanical engineers, and so on - or not
engineers at all - and you made it all up in order to make a convincing post
(though I do not believe *that*).

What would that laughter prove - they could have been laughing at you for
asking the question because they firmly believed that Shatki Stones worked
miracles?

The point I was making is that you cannot deny the use of friends and
spouses of others as "proof" without removing the same anecdotal evidence
from your posts...

S888Wheel

From: chung
Date: 6/27/2004 1:17 PM Pacific Standard Time

And you feel that lumping the fools and the geniuses together as
designers is fair to the geniuses?

Are you going to be the arbitrator of who the fools and geniuses are? Are

you
so brilliant that you can make that determination for the world?

Gee, when did I ever say that?

It was a question not a statement.

You were the one who said that there were
fools and geniuses...

And you seemed to agree. You then asked if I were going to lump them together
as designers. If you feel you can make the definitive distinction then you have
more confidence in your opinions than I do. If you don't then why ask the
question about lumping them together as designers?

Of course, what you call geniuses I may disagree, so how could there be
an arbitrator in this case?

That was my point. So why ask if I am going to lump designers together as
designers without distinguishing the geniuses from the fools?

What part was designed in shatki stones? Or cable-lifters? You seriously
think that there are designers designing these things?

I think you have to ask the designers. I really don't know anything about
Shatki stones or cable filters. I cannot tell you if there was any design
involved.

So there may not be any designers to ask, no?

There certainly is someone to ask. Even if there were no designs involved there
was an idea that saw the light of day as a consumer product.

Chelvam

"Nousaine" wrote in message

snip...snip..

During this time exactly NO High-End manufacturer, distributor or

journalist
has ever demonstrated a single experiment that shows that amp/wire sound

exists
when subjects are asked to "hear" it with listening bias controlled.

Not ONE. High-end is where rigor is lacking.

I can vouche for that.My humble experience, I was not able to distinguish
Conrad Johnson, Gryphon and one another. But I would say Air Tight sounded
more pleasing ( I loved the sound) but I am not going to bet on it under
DBT.

Timothy A. Seufert

In article , Bromo
wrote:

Reminds me of the debunkers that debunk astrology - they gather a bunch of
people in a room and hand out the same "horoscope" or "personality profile"
to everyone - and everyone agrees it was spot-on at which point it is
revealed they were duped. The TV show this appears on concludes with a
"well, that about washes it up for astrology." They sometimes go on to an
astrologer and ask them how it works - the astrologer mumbles something
about gravitational influence or something - cut back to the debunker who on
a whiteboard or display shows how that couldn't possible be true with
further conclusions "well, astrology mustn't work then." What have they
proven? That people are gullible, and astrologers have no clue as to why
what they do could possibly work. Now, whether you think astrology works or
not is immaterial - the rigor by the people debunking it does no service to
the cause of light and science - because all the astrologers have to say
then is "we don't know why it works but it does" - and "people are gullible,
but it doesn't mean we are cheating them." They would be correct, and the
debunker has to begin all over again - and would be counting on the lasting
impression on the same 'gullible people' exposed during the show.

The above is hardly the only method used to debunk astrology, though you
seem to be acting as if it is. There have been formal and rigorous
experiments. I am not aware of any whose results indicated that
astrology had any useful predictive value. But you don't hear about
them because the simple demonstrations are better for the TV camera.

Aside from which, you've left out countless other types of informal
demonstrations with different emphasis. The point of the exercise you
mentioned is not to prove that astrology doesn't work. It's designed to
raise public consciousness about the reasons why it appears to work.
Such self-knowledge (if sufficiently generalized and internalized) can
protect people from countless other scams. Including some of those
which infest "high end" audio...

Why all this garbage about the thoroughly debunked and disproven waste o'
time, Astrology? Because A similar level of non-rigor is shown by the high
end debunkers - and it begs the question if the debunkers are holding "a
position" every bit as stubbornly by insisting that "nothing matters" as
those that insist that "everything matters."

Your characterization of high end audio debunking seems just as suspect
as your characterization of astrology debunking.

--
Tim

Stewart Pinkerton

On 27 Jun 2004 14:03:38 GMT, Bromo wrote:

On 6/27/04 1:50 AM, in article uetDc.103189$Hg2.562@attbi_s04, "Stewart
Pinkerton" wrote:

The so
called inferior High End products had their slow death. Seen any belt driven
CD Player lately? The good products survived.

Unfortunately Wadia, Audio Note et al do still exist............

Why is it unfortunate that Wadia and Audio Note exist? Because they use
belt driven transports (I didn't think they did - at least Wadia) or that
they are not popular amongst the people with less means?

They do not use belt-driven transports, but they definitely qualify as
inferior high end products. Audio Note because they use tubes, and
because they unbelievably leave out an essential part of the CD replay
system - the reconstruction filter. Wadia because they use a form of
reconstruction filter which introduces false images in the audio band.
As noted by the 'et al', they are of course not the only guilty
parties in the so-called 'high end', they are just examples of the
grossly overpriced and yet technically incompetent rubbish which
pervades domestic audio.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 27 Jun 2004 14:05:11 GMT, Bromo wrote:

Why all this garbage about the thoroughly debunked and disproven waste o'
time, Astrology? Because A similar level of non-rigor is shown by the high
end debunkers - and it begs the question if the debunkers are holding "a
position" every bit as stubbornly by insisting that "nothing matters" as
those that insist that "everything matters."

Utter rubbish. The 'high end' debunkers do no such thing. What we *do*
do, is ask for the claimants to provide proof of their extraordinary
claims - which is a first principle of scientific investigation. This
has *never* been forthcoming, so we hold the proposition that 'wire is
wire' until someone *proves* otherwise.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:17:48 GMT, Bromo wrote:

On 6/27/04 1:50 AM, in article QetDc.99332$2i5.90921@attbi_s52, "Steven
Sullivan" wrote:

No, sir, the 'urban myth' is that scientists ever believed that
bumblebees shouldn't be able to fly, or 'couldn't fly'. NO ONE has ever
claimed that insect flight has been completely understood.

Of course everyone knows the bumblebees *can* fly - just that our theory is
inadequate to explain as you said.

The original, broader implications, are that it might be possible that there
are other things that happen that are contrary to our thoeries - i.e. All
the theories say there should be no difference sonically between 20' of 16ga
zipcord and 8' of Kimber 16 conductor woven cable - yet there seems to be
one.

No, there doesn't. You are erecting a strawman here, as the whole
point of the bumblebee tale is that bumblebees can be repeatably and
reliably observed to fly, therefore it's worth while investigating how
they do this.

OTOH, not one single person has ever reliably and repeatably
demonstrated that zipcord sounds different from Kimber (or any other
'audiophile' brand) cable, so there is *nothing* to investigate. In
the precise example you give, there will be a gross resistance
mismatch, which is likely to disqualify the cable on grounds of simple
level difference. Easily fixed by using 12AWG zipcord. The inductive
mismatch is less likely to cause a problem, but would remain in the
realm of obvious electrical difference, rather than audiophile
'magic'.

chung

TChelvam wrote:

"Rich.Andrews" wrote in message ...

snip..snip...

The short version is that many years ago (1930's) the then current model
for flight didn't fit the bumblebee and other insects. A sciencephobe
stated that science is a crock since it proved (with their then current
model of aerodynamics) that it can't.

So, there was a time in history the knowledgeable community lacked the
knowledge to explain many of the day to day events.

Of course. I don't think there has ever been a time when any scientist
said that science has all the answers.

chung

wrote:

[...]

You seem to have missed the whole point. There is no way to come up with
an irrefutable explanation for invalid claims. In the warm milk example,
of course any explanation can easily be shot down. The root cause is
that there is no difference in sound. Once you understand that there is
no way to explain the difference, you should be closer to the root
cause: there is no detectible audible difference.

The process of shooting down explanations is one way of getting closer
to the root cause.

Steven Sullivan

TChelvam wrote:
"Rich.Andrews" wrote in message ...

snip..snip...

The short version is that many years ago (1930's) the then current model
for flight didn't fit the bumblebee and other insects. A sciencephobe
stated that science is a crock since it proved (with their then current
model of aerodynamics) that it can't.

So, there was a time in history the knowledgeable community lacked the
knowledge to explain many of the day to day events.

So, complete the analogy -- which 'day to day event' related to
cables, tweaks etc., do we currently lack the knowledge to explain?

--

-S.
Why don't you just admit that you hate music and leave people alone. --

chung

wrote:

[...]

Uhh, in case you have not noticed, I was not trying to convince anyone
of anything. I was merely bring up an anecdote to show how some of the
audio myths are perceived by EE's.

After all, your friends might be audio engineers, train engineers, plumber
engineers (as in England), mechanical engineers, and so on - or not
engineers at all - and you made it all up in order to make a convincing post
(though I do not believe *that*).

If you need any clarification, they are EE's. You are welcome to try
some of the claims Dick mentioned on your EE colleagues.

What would that laughter prove - they could have been laughing at you for
asking the question because they firmly believed that Shatki Stones worked
miracles?

Again, I was not trying to prove or disprove anything.

The point I was making is that you cannot deny the use of friends and
spouses of others as "proof" without removing the same anecdotal evidence
from your posts...

Again...

Rich.Andrews

Bromo wrote in news:9LCDc.124484$Sw.18408@attbi_s51:

On 6/27/04 9:54 AM, in article ,
"Rich.Andrews" wrote:

The whole issue about the bumblebee and aerodynamics is explained at
http://www.keelynet.com/interact/archive/00001691.htm

The short version is that many years ago (1930's) the then current
model for flight didn't fit the bumblebee and other insects. A
sciencephobe stated that science is a crock since it proved (with their
then current model of aerodynamics) that it can't. At any rate, when
the truth was exposed that there are many different ways to predict
flight and many models, that wasn't newsworthy and as such, did not get
the attention it deserved, so the myth continues to this day.

It illustrates though, at any point, it is possible to apply the wrong
theory, or to not be open to see if a dearly held belief is incorrect.

A belief may be wrong but I have yet to see Ohm's laws fail. As a matter
of fact, I have yet to see any law regarding electronics be in error. I
have seen laws misapplied, errors in computation, etc., but the laws are
true and sound and have been for many years.

Now if you want to try and wrap your head around bizarre happenings, try
quantum physics where things are never quite what you would expect. (:)

Nousaine

From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 6/27/2004 10:18 AM Pacific Standard Time

(S888Wheel) wrote:

...snips....

[...]

Sure thats a reasonable assumption; but its wrong. It's like all the expriments
that have never been conducted to 'prove' wire/amp sound.

The answers have been basically obfuscation. None has defined a process.

I guess this means you have hads such discussions. care to name names and
tell
us more precisely what these designers actually said?

I'll play the Atkinson card and say that it's not a good idea for me to mention
names publicly. But what has been said is exactly what you profess later in
this post.

The "lab"at a wire company was a conference room a single "piece" of
electronic
equipment that was idle and the room was empty during my visity. Of course
all
by itself that means nothing.... but so do uncontrolled listening "tests."

Which company was this?

Transparent Audio Marketing.

[...]

Trial and error. OK so they just randomly substitute parts/circuits and "hope"
for improvement. With the several hundred "parts" inside an amplifier exactly
how do they ever hone-in on an optimized design? Don't they have to perform
listening tests on "every" part and on "every" change in value?

Actually that is exactly what I've heard from high-end manufacturers ......
they just guess and have no systematic process for optimization.

Andy Payor claims his aproach was quite the opposite. The work was done very
much on paper with little trial and error.

Which would be exactly right .... but where are his controlled listening test
validation tests of the improvements in sound of his turntables?

If you would say they "listen" to them for validation
then
I wonder why haven't any of them made listening test validation public?

Ask the people who know, the designers. After all these years of debate
you
should have already considered this.

Mr Wheeler thinks that I haven't?

Up until now I doubted it due to your failure to ever give a specific answer
when ever asked about it. You still haven't named any names of designers who
have discussed their design proccess with you.

Why would you expect that I would make them look like fools? They do a good
enough job by themselves by NOT providing evidence that shows their products
provide the benefits they claim.

Again, you missed Tom's intent, which was to make you, the consumer,
think. And question.

I think I get his intent. It looks very much like a shell game played on
consumers who are not technically qualified to discuss such issues. I think
Tom
is just waiting for one subjectivbist to give a technically inept answer so
he
can pounce on that person. The fact is it doesn't matter what answer he

gets
from the consumer. The question is one that should be posed to the

designer.

And as an enthusiast Mr Wheeler hasn't asked these questions himself?

Not of other consumers. I don't expect them to speak for the designers.

Some of them are very happy to speak out on practically everything. But again I
hear so much "talk" about the sound of amps/wires but no evidence of its
existance from the high-end community it has to make one wonder why their
customers argue so hard when the makers leave them strung out on the
evidentiary line.

Despite, or in addition to, what the designers may
(or may not) tell you, the consumer should try to think independently
and use his/her own reasoning skills.

Well some often do. They get smacked around in RAHE for doing so sometimes.

"Smacked around?" Of whom do you speak?

I guess Bromo hasn't been "smacked around" lately has he?

No he hasn't. He's been treated fairly and at arms' length.

chung

Harry Lavo wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Not really, unless you can refute that explanation.

1) You and the other objectivists used to argue that the SA-CD layer sounded
better than the CD layer because the SA-CD layer had been artificially
boosted in volume. Exactly the opposite is true, which all else being
equal, would give the advantage to the CD layer.

Not when the boost is so much that distortion is audible.

Furthermore, some of us claimed that the *players* themselves boost up
the level a notch when playing the SACD layer. See the difference?

2) Of course, all else is not equal since there is compression and clipping.
Which should lead you to ponder that these artifacts were heard without dbt
as an inferior sound from the CD layer by those of us who thought the SACD
sound superior.

The point however is that the superiority may not lie in the DSD
technology, but is the result of mastering differences. Which is what we
have always suspected as to why the two layers may sound different.

And there are CD's that are mastered correctly, too.

3) None of this necessarily establishes that CD will sound as good as SACD
even if they are exactly level matched and uncompressed.

But it explains why some people believe that SACD's sound different or
better.

Other experiments appear to indicate that no one has detected a
difference when two were mastered the same way. Like carefully recording
the output of a SACD player on redbook CD.

Sometimes things don't fit conveniently into the boxes you wish to put them
in.

I would say that this is true. Now, what boxes do you wish to put them
into? .
chung

From: chung
Date: 6/27/2004 10:18 AM Pacific Standard Time

From: chung

Date: 6/25/2004 11:32 AM Pacific Standard Time
From:
(Nousaine)
Date: 6/23/2004 4:10 PM Pacific Standard Time
Bromo
wrote:

On 6/20/04 11:09 PM, in article
, "Nousaine"
wrote:

[...]

In that case, you probably don't want to know the answer anyway. So why
are you even interested in Tom's question?

In case you have forgotten, Tom's question was how did the designers
design those products, if, as Mr Bromo suggested, no one knows how to
make measurements that show those products work. Seems like a legitimate
and fair question to ask on this forum. And it can be considered a good
rhetorical question, too.

I think Tom
is just waiting for one subjectivbist to give a technically inept answer so

he
can pounce on that person.

Can you give some examples of Tom's "pouncing"?

I'm sure I could if I wanted to do the search. If you want to think this is of
no interest to Tom fine.

Actually I believe that Tom would want to see some examples, too. Didn't
Tom asked you for some similar examples?

If it were truly a
technically inept answer, would you object strongly if someone points
that out?

Hey if you guys enjoy subjectivist hunting on RAHE that's fine. We all have our
hobbies. If one asks for an opinion and then attacks the opinion asked for that
is simply baiting a sure win debate.

Would you equate pointing out a technically wrong explanation as
attacking the opinion?

May be great for the ego but it does
nothing to advance the hobby of audio.

You think asking the proper questions, or refuting the technically wrong
opinions, does nothing to advance the understanding of audio among
hobbyists?

Just today, Mr. Bromo learned that there are 16 information bits in CD
samples, because people corrected him. I would say that his
understanding of audio has been advanced tremendously.

I noticed nobody took the bait.

I noticed nobody else complained about Tom's questions either.

The fact is it doesn't matter what answer he gets
from the consumer. The question is one that should be posed to the

designer.

Why?

Because they aren't guessing. It could lead to a discussion that would be
relevant. Maybe you think discussions on someone's mistaken beliefs about
another designers work and intentions is interesting. I don't.

The consumer should be thinking about those questions, too.

They "should'? Where is this rule of audiophilia written?

Why would you interpret it as a rule? I am making a suggestion, and
somehow you read that as me imposing a rule?

Despite, or in addition to, what the designers may
(or may not) tell you, the consumer should try to think independently
and use his/her own reasoning skills.

Well some often do. They get smacked around in RAHE for doing so sometimes.

Care to cite examples?

Not really. If you don't think it actually happens I'm not going to try to
persuade you otherwise. People see what they want to see.

That part is clear to me.

I think it has been
pretty obvious.

Then examples would be easy to cite, no?

Norm Dresner

"TChelvam" wrote in message
"Rich.Andrews" wrote in message

snip..snip...

The short version is that many years ago (1930's) the then current model
for flight didn't fit the bumblebee and other insects. A sciencephobe
stated that science is a crock since it proved (with their then current
model of aerodynamics) that it can't.

So, there was a time in history the knowledgeable community lacked the
knowledge to explain many of the day to day events.

It still does.

But this does not invalidate science. It's pretty much a given in
philosophy that lack of knowledge in one area does not invalidate knowledge
in others. I may not know how a bumblebee flies [1] but I'm sure that it
can and I certainly know why and how electrons move in a CRT tube or in a
wire. But "knowledge" should never presume "complete knowledge" because we
can never know what we haven't observed yet. That's how most of the
fundamental discoveries in science and technology come to be. It should be
remembered, however, that almost all scientists now accept Karl Popper's
thesis that science isn't provable, only disprovable. The best a scientist
can do is to demonstrate that his theories predict the results of real
experiments and claim that there are no experiments that discredit them.
Nevertheless, electronics is a mature science which pretty much explains the
results of all "objective" measurements -- psychology should be used to
evaluate subjective ones.

Norm

NOTES: [1] I'm pretty sure that current entomology and aerodynamics has
progressed to the point that we now can safely say that bumblebees should be
able to fly.
S888Wheel

From: Glenn Booth
Date: 6/27/2004 2:57 PM Pacific Standard Time
Hi,

In message TgDDc.104735$Hg2.80780@attbi_s04, S888Wheel
writes
From: Glenn Booth

Date: 6/25/2004 3:04 PM Pacific Standard Time

Hi,

In message g5_Cc.116604$Sw.51156@attbi_s51, S888Wheel
writes

Well for kicks I asked a couple grader school kids if they saw anything
wrong
with 1+1=2.1. They did, eeach and every one of them.

Did you ask them if they could design a proof that 1+1 does not equal
2.1? That, in my mind, would be closer to equivalence.

Irrelevent.

I don't think so.

The question wasn't whether or not they could design a proof the
question was whether or not debunking the cited tweaks was as simple as

doing
the math for 1+1

Indeed, but all that is required to debunk the tweaks is to take part in
a test, not to design it. An altogether different level of competence
and skill is involved.

Designing a proof that "1+1 is not equal to 2.1" is more akin to
designing a test to debunk a tweak, no? And if our grade school kids are
going to thoroughly 'debunk' the notion that 1+1 is not equal to 2.1,
shouldn't they prove it? Simple assertion isn't going to cut it in
either case.

Grade school kids know that 1+1 = 2 intuitively; they don't need proof
to know the truth of it. In a similar way, a competent physicist, armed
with knowledge of how CDs work, could debunk (e.g.) the 'green pen'
tweak without needing to design a proof; they would simply know that it
could not work by the stated method.

I then asked them if they
could debunk the green pen CD myth using ABX DBTs. They looked at me like

was
from Mars. Truth.

Did you ask them if they would be capable of listening to two pieces of
music and then commenting on any differences they heard? Again, that
seems to me to be a closer equivalent.

It may seem closer to you but one has to be able to set up and proctor the

test
to debunk the tweak.

No, all that is required is the ability to take part in a test. As has
already been pointed out, young people can make very good test subjects,
and the required tests have already been designed.

*I* made the claim that grade school kids could not debunk green pen and the
other cited tweaks. *I* did so with the idea that for *someone* to debunk a
myth *someone* must conduct the test not merely be a subject in the test. It is
rather pointless to argue with *me* about what *I* meant.

Your questions were loaded.

Loaded only with the comparison being made between the difficulty of

debunking
tweaks compared to the difficulty of doing extremely simple math.

What's difficult about taking part in a DBT? Children start learning to
differentiate between sounds *way* before they ever learn any maths,
even at the 1+1 level.

What is difficult about accepting my clarification about my claim? It was not
about grade school students being testees.

They have the advantage of minimal preconceptions
and the associated lack of expectation bias, so they can be great
subjects. Their superior hearing is an added bonus.

That's nice. Lab rats work well for many studies too. The Lab Rats aren't the
ones conducting the studies.

By choosing to employ specific, specialised language in your questions
(ABX DBTs), you were deliberately biasing the outcome, were you not?

I was making a very specific point. That simple math is something we can expect
grade school kids to be able to do. Debunking audio tweaks is not something we
can expect the average grade school kid to be able to do. It is not as simple
as solving 1+1. That was the point.

It's possible to phrase a question that asks "Does 1+1 = 2.1?" in such a
manner that most sixteen year old maths students would fail to
understand it, but it doesn't prove anything.

It also has nothing to do with what I said.

chung

From: chung
Date: 6/27/2004 1:17 PM Pacific Standard Time

And you feel that lumping the fools and the geniuses together as
designers is fair to the geniuses?

Are you going to be the arbitrator of who the fools and geniuses are? Are

you
so brilliant that you can make that determination for the world?

Gee, when did I ever say that?

It was a question not a statement.

Assuming you are asking real questions and not rhetorical ones, the
answers are no to each.

I sense your strong sarcasm in the question regarding making
determination for the world. Wonder how you arrive at that.

You were the one who said that there were
fools and geniuses...

And you seemed to agree. You then asked if I were going to lump them together
as designers. If you feel you can make the definitive distinction then you have
more confidence in your opinions than I do. If you don't then why ask the
question about lumping them together as designers?

Since you said that there are fools and geniuses, you must have some
idea about how to tell them apart, no?

How is it that I can make the *definitive distinction*? I am sure you
will not agree with some of my distinctions. The fact that I cannot make
the *definitve* distinction does not mean that I have no opinion on who
the fools are.

Of course, what you call geniuses I may disagree, so how could there be
an arbitrator in this case?

That was my point. So why ask if I am going to lump designers together as
designers without distinguishing the geniuses from the fools?

Here is the question in more detail. Using your own definition of fools
and geniuses, do you think it's fair to lump them together as designers?

What part was designed in shatki stones? Or cable-lifters? You seriously
think that there are designers designing these things?

I think you have to ask the designers. I really don't know anything about
Shatki stones or cable filters. I cannot tell you if there was any design
involved.

So there may not be any designers to ask, no?

There certainly is someone to ask. Even if there were no designs involved there
was an idea that saw the light of day as a consumer product.

Well, that's not the same as asking the designers, then. You mean to say
we should ask the marketeers in that case?

Richard

Bromo wrote:

On 6/27/04 5:57 PM, in article , "Glenn Booth"
wrote:

Grade school kids know that 1+1 = 2 intuitively;

Well, if they pay attention to their lessons, yes! :-)

they don't need proof
to know the truth of it. In a similar way, a competent physicist, armed
with knowledge of how CDs work, could debunk (e.g.) the 'green pen'
tweak without needing to design a proof; they would simply know that it
could not work by the stated method.

Yup, they could.

But also keep in mind that many people on this group would prefer to lump a
lot of things (green pens and so on) in the same category as people who
observe that some amplifiers may sound differently than others. It is an
attempt to confuse the issue and through that, "win" the argument.

While always read these threads, I very seldom respond. However, I
must respond to this statement, as it is not factually accurate. I
have NEVER seen any objectivist say that amplifiers cannot sound
different. The statement is and always has been something like; "any
two competently designed amplifiers with similar power and distortion
characteristics when properly level matched within .1db of each other
will sound essentially the same." Note that no one ever even said
that they must measure exactly the same; just "sound" the same.

You claim to be an engineer but you have made some very surprising
statements for someone in that profession. The folks that I know that
are involved in electronics (even amateur radio) laugh at the very
same tweaks in which you _seem_ to believe. Are you certain that you
are not a spin-doctor for some conservative politician?
Just kidding Bromo! (BIG smile)

Richard
Bromo

On 6/28/04 12:51 PM, in article 50YDc.130210$Sw.1855@attbi_s51, "Timothy A.
Seufert" wrote:

The above is hardly the only method used to debunk astrology, though you
seem to be acting as if it is.

It certainly is the most visible one, and is decidedly non rigorous.

I *did* mention it was on the television. I do recall an issue of Skpetic
where a reporter went to a "psychic fair" and asked people why it "worked" -
hence the second part of my post on it.

Bromo

On 6/27/04 10:37 PM, in article 1wLDc.127052$Sw.29280@attbi_s51, "chung"
wrote:

Care to cite examples?

A quick perusal of the archives ought to do it - something you should be
very capable of doing.

A google search of "smacked around" in RAHE did not return any examples.
So obviously this is figurative speech. I want to ask for examples since
I am interested in knowing what you and your friends consider as being
"smacked around".

If you do not believe that you and others do this - there is no point
pointing it out to you further - you will not pick it up.

Bromo

,
"Rich.Andrews" wrote:

[...]

Absolutely! But in many cases the items we discuss do not directly relate
to those laws since the rather subjective and difficult subject of
"perception" is in the mix. We have some really excellent software between
the ears.

Now if you want to try and wrap your head around bizarre happenings, try
quantum physics where things are never quite what you would expect. (:)

I hear ya! (pun intended) - Quantum theory is a very, very intteresting
subject. Funnily enough the math for the physics is very much like the math
for EM (Maxwell's equations) in the mechanics of their computation and form.
This simple understanding save me and my roomies (I was the EM guy and they
were Quantum Physicists) a lot of time in being able to heal each other with
homework! :-)

Harry Lavo

"chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Never even mentioned as a possibility in prior discussion with relation to
SA-CD.

Furthermore, some of us claimed that the *players* themselves boost up
the level a notch when playing the SACD layer. See the difference?

See the interesting work done by Christine Tham illustrating that CD
technology under some circumstances produces levels 1 to 3 db higher than
odbf when reconstructing redbook material. This work duplicated work
presented in an AES paper entitled "0dBFS+ Levels in Digital Mastering" by
Søren H. Nielsen and Thomas Lund of T.C. Electronic A/S.

Perhaps the SACD people, if they are doing what you claim, are simply trying
to equalize average levels. But you have also not *proven* your claim...as
far as I can remember, it is simply an assertion that this *may* be
true...an excuse generated for the general audiophile preference for SA-CD
in informal AB's.

2) Of course, all else is not equal since there is compression and

clipping.
Which should lead you to ponder that these artifacts were heard without

dbt
as an inferior sound from the CD layer by those of us who thought the

SACD
sound superior.

The point however is that the superiority may not lie in the DSD
technology, but is the result of mastering differences. Which is what we
have always suspected as to why the two layers may sound different.

Still, did not require dbt's to hear. And the argument was usually made
that the CD's were deliberately downgraded, whereas in the case of the
Telarc disks we have state of the art masters following industry-standard
practice.

And there are CD's that are mastered correctly, too.

Yep..but there is no proof one way or the other that completely controlled
DSD masters with no compression will sound the same on CD as on SA-CD. It
is still a hypothesis until proven...and it hasn't been proven.

3) None of this necessarily establishes that CD will sound as good as

SACD
even if they are exactly level matched and uncompressed.

But it explains why some people believe that SACD's sound different or
better.

It may in some cases. But not in all necessarily. The assertion that there
is no difference in sound has not been proven in practice.

Other experiments appear to indicate that no one has detected a
difference when two were mastered the same way. Like carefully recording
the output of a SACD player on redbook CD.

Please show me the peer-reviewed study done on an extremely high-quality
home system (not a PC) that shows this?

Sometimes things don't fit conveniently into the boxes you wish to put

them
in.

I would say that this is true. Now, what boxes do you wish to put them
into? .

None. No need for boxes. An inquisitive attitude and an open
mind...combined with a real familiarity with live acoustic (non-amplified)
music is all that is required.

chung

wrote:

Care to cite examples?

A quick perusal of the archives ought to do it - something you should be
very capable of doing.

A google search of "smacked around" in RAHE did not return any examples.
So obviously this is figurative speech. I want to ask for examples since
I am interested in knowing what you and your friends consider as being
"smacked around".

If you do not believe that you and others do this - there is no point
pointing it out to you further - you will not pick it up.

If you do not give examples, then we just don't know what you consider
as being "smacked around". The risk then is that we would keep doing
that, and someone would keep feeling "smacked around". We don't want
that to happen.

If you give us examples, perhaps we can try to explain how we are *not*
trying to smack someone around. That might help that person feel better.

Chelvam

"Michael Scarpitti" wrote in message
snip...snip..

Then let one do it. I DID hear differences in discs so treated, and I
am super-skeptical.

Knowledge is never exhaustive. Ther could well be mechanisms that have
been overlooked.

Would appreciate if you could indicate the type of the player and do you
place your player in a brightly lit room.

I have not heard any difference but my friends claim they do. One thing in
common with them was the placement of the CD player under direct lighting.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 16:52:16 GMT, chung wrote:

TChelvam wrote:

"Rich.Andrews" wrote in message ...

snip..snip...

The short version is that many years ago (1930's) the then current model
for flight didn't fit the bumblebee and other insects. A sciencephobe
stated that science is a crock since it proved (with their then current
model of aerodynamics) that it can't.

So, there was a time in history the knowledgeable community lacked the
knowledge to explain many of the day to day events.

Of course. I don't think there has ever been a time when any scientist
said that science has all the answers.

Well, the notorious Lord Kelvin came close to closing the books, as
did the US Patent Office................ :-)