trumpetmic

Default I think I need Infinity parts

Hi there all!

I've just posed myself with an interesting question that has stumped me
and so now, I must pose it to you, in hopes that you might have an
idea that may uproot my confusion...

I currently listen with a pair of Cerwin Vega VF-6 speakers, in
combination with my decent-sounding Pioneer amp, fed by an iPod. I
know, it's not high-end stuff, but it sounds pretty darn good. The
Cerwin Vegas are fairly new and the sound seems very tight and clean.

Recently, I was presented with the opportunity to purchase some older
(1997) Infinity Reference 2000.5 floorstanders for 70 bucks, which I've
heard might sound nicer than my CVs. The catch? One of the bass
drivers seems to be blown... it makes a ticking sound when you tap it
and it doesn't make sound, when connected to an audio source.

So, my first question is: Does anyone know where one might find a
replacement bass driver for an Infinity Reference 2000.5, at a good
price?

Now, my second question is: Is it even worth it to replace the bass
driver on this thing or should I just stick with my Cerwin Vegas?

Should I just go and fly a kite?

Thanks!

Mike

Denver, Colorado

John Roberts

You need to get the woofers refoamed. Either go newfoam dot com and apply
for the parts and expertise to do them yourself or simply pluck out the
woofers and send them off to a competant repair facility.

Very savageble and smoother response than the CV's, you will grow to
appreciate your work and investment.

For those who love music,

Bill Roberts Mastering.

"trumpetmic" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

trumpetmic

Now, do you think that new foam is all this speaker needs? I mean, the
woofer doesn't respond to the signal at all--makes no sound. Also, the
surround isn't made of foam... It's rubber. Thoughts?

Thanks for the response, Bill!

-Mike

John Roberts wrote:
[...]

trumpetmic

UPDATES:
Correction on the Cerwin Vega model #: V-6F

I don't know how to read specs, but if you would like to help me out...
For specs comparison, here's the Cerwin Vega link:
http://www.cerwin-vega.com/products/...deo/index.html

Here's a link to the Infinity:
http://www.infinitysystems.com/homea...LK&cat=&sType=

Also, the guy who sold me the 2000.5's has offered to sell me a pair of
2000.3's for an additional 70... should I get 'em or should I get some
newer bookshelves in this price range?