Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car
[email protected] midlant@earthlink.net is offline

Default sad: End of the line

FWIW, I had a first-year Vega for 75k miles. Thermostat and axle seal
were all that went bad during that period.
(I guess the person who had it for the 25k miles before I got it fixed
it properly!)

Karl

63Avanti wrote:
NO,
the Taurus was not junk, but neither was it a Toyota or Honda. It was
credited, rightfully, with the recovery of Ford in the 80s. The story
in the financial and automotive press is how Ford p****ed away its
advantage, not "refreshing" the design like its Oriental competitors,
but spent the $$$$ chasing overpriced foreign makers, and the
(temporarily) high return Trucks and SUVs. With petro prices
uncertain, though temporarily down, a little, Ford did not have the
cash on hand to refresh the more than 10 year old design. very sad.
the same pox can be laid on GM, Chrysler. Spending cash flow on the
new and flashy and not on the cash cows, like certain oriental
companies.

we will all be driving non american cars at this rate....

Dwain G. wrote:
A news article the other day said Ford was halting production of the Taurus
after 21 years (Wow!) and closing the 59 year old Atlanta plant.
My first thought was that a 59 year old plant would have been a 'modern,
up-to-date facility' to Studebaker.
Next I thought of a quote that Avanti owner Steve Blake was fond of
repeating. "We are putting a 20-year-old body on a 30-year-old chassis.
It's being done by 70-year-old workers in a 100-year-old plant."

Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car
Captain_Howdy Captain_Howdy is offline

Transmission shops are going to be sad to see the Taurus/Sable at it's end.
Other then the transmission problems and head gasket problems on the 3.8L
engines that were never addressed since 1986, along with the DPFE problems
with the 1996+ models the Taurus/Sable were great cars.

Dwain G. wrote:
A news article the other day said Ford was halting production of the Taurus
after 21 years (Wow!) and closing the 59 year old Atlanta plant.
My first thought was that a 59 year old plant would have been a 'modern,
up-to-date facility' to Studebaker.
Next I thought of a quote that Avanti owner Steve Blake was fond of
repeating. "We are putting a 20-year-old body on a 30-year-old chassis.
It's being done by 70-year-old workers in a 100-year-old plant."

Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car
[email protected] spamTHISbrp@yahoo.com is offline

Captain_Howdy wrote:
Transmission shops are going to be sad to see the Taurus/Sable at it's end.
Other then the transmission problems and head gasket problems on the 3.8L
engines that were never addressed since 1986, along with the DPFE problems
with the 1996+ models the Taurus/Sable were great cars.

Unresolved transmission/head gasket/ DPFE problems aren't enough to
bump it off of 'great car status'?

Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car
Steve Steve is offline

NO,
the Taurus was not junk, but neither was it a Toyota or Honda.

That's redundant. :-p

It was
credited, rightfully, with the recovery of Ford in the 80s.

I agree. It was their version of the Chrysler "K" platform. It was a bit
more stylish than the boxy "K" cars, but a good bit less mechanically
sound at first. The big difference is that Chrysler moved on past the
"K" starting in 1993, but Ford soldiered on with the Taurus much longer,
probably a bit too long without at least a styling upgrade.

Having said that, I've had a rental Taurus and a rental Fusion both
within the past 6 months. Of the two, I'll take the Taurus *ANY* day.
The Fusion was a nice little transportation device, but it wasn't at all
inspiring. Not that a Taurus is very inspirational, but at least it
doesn't just ooze "generic people-mover" from every seam.

Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car
Captain_Howdy Captain_Howdy is offline

It's just too bad that the transmissions tend to fail around 100-140K. If they
failed under warranty, i'm sure that Ford would have taken care of the problem
within the last 20 years of so.

6 year 75k mile warranty on tranny
same on head gasket
same on dpfe, which is a 20 minute DIY anyhow.

I've got the 2003 Merc Sable and its a nice ride. Not a caddy, but
very comfortable on long trips.

Lg

Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car
Captain_Howdy Captain_Howdy is offline

LOL. The transmission does have an aftermarket work around (but most people
don't fix what isn't broken yet) and to avoid the head gasket problem you can
stick with the 3L engine. The DPFE is a problem on almost all 96+ Fords and
some Mazdas. Ford does have a updated part to deal with this issue and if
repaired under warranty it will save you about $150-$200.

Unresolved transmission/head gasket/ DPFE problems aren't enough to
bump it off of 'great car status'?

Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car
Studebaker George Studebaker George is offline

Good lawd...this thread has gone to friggin' poop!
As we used to say back in my younger days..."everyone knows that F**ds
suck"....
Studebaker George

Captain_Howdy wrote:
LOL. The transmission does have an aftermarket work around (but most people
don't fix what isn't broken yet) and to avoid the head gasket problem you can
stick with the 3L engine. The DPFE is a problem on almost all 96+ Fords and
some Mazdas. Ford does have a updated part to deal with this issue and if
repaired under warranty it will save you about $150-$200.

Unresolved transmission/head gasket/ DPFE problems aren't enough to
bump it off of 'great car status'?

Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car
Studebakerboy Studebakerboy is offline

What I like most about my Sable Wagon is the heated windshield. It's in
semi-retirement at the former Clinton County Air Force Base serving as
my airport car. Nothing nicer than being stranded in Hooterville during
the winter knowing you can start up, hit the de-ice button and be frost
free in minutes.

Did I mention I bouth it new and it has 265,000 miles on an engine that
has never been opened and one AXOD overhaul at 137,000.

Regards

Kevin

Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car
Captain_Howdy Captain_Howdy is offline

The only people that say that are the ones that don't know how to repair them.

Captain_Howdy wrote:
LOL. The transmission does have an aftermarket work around (but most people
don't fix what isn't broken yet) and to avoid the head gasket problem you can
stick with the 3L engine. The DPFE is a problem on almost all 96+ Fords and
some Mazdas. Ford does have a updated part to deal with this issue and if
repaired under warranty it will save you about $150-$200.

Unresolved transmission/head gasket/ DPFE problems aren't enough to
bump it off of 'great car status'?

Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car
63t-cab 63t-cab is offline

When they are running good they are all good!!!, try 370.00 miles on my
92 c1500 fullsize WT with what I call no major repairs and org. engine
with new rod+main bearings at 173.00

Dwain G. wrote:
A news article the other day said Ford was halting production of the Taurus
after 21 years (Wow!) and closing the 59 year old Atlanta plant.
My first thought was that a 59 year old plant would have been a 'modern,
up-to-date facility' to Studebaker.
Next I thought of a quote that Avanti owner Steve Blake was fond of
repeating. "We are putting a 20-year-old body on a 30-year-old chassis.
It's being done by 70-year-old workers in a 100-year-old plant."

Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car
C. E. White C. E. White is offline

"Grumpy AuContraire" wrote in message
I understand that the Vega's were fine once sleeves were installed...

Depends on what you meant by "fine." I used to autocross my Pintos (when I
was much younger), and Vegas were pathetic competition. Never had one of
those beat me.
--
Regards,

Ed White
http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/

Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car
C. E. White C. E. White is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...

Unresolved transmission/head gasket/ DPFE problems aren't enough to
bump it off of 'great car status'?

I owned two members of the line - a 1986 Sable and a 1989 Taurus Statioin
Wagon. I drove the Sable for 10 years and 147,000 miles, and sold it to a
friend who drvoe it to well over 200,000 miles before crashing it into a
tree. I never had a significant engine or transmission problem. I still rate
the 1986 Sable as the best sedan I ever owned.
--
Regards,

Ed White
http://home.mindspring.com/~ed_white/

Posted to alt.autos.studebaker,rec.autos.tech,rec.audio.car
C. E. White C. E. White is offline

"Studebakerboy" wrote in message
oups.com...
What I like most about my Sable Wagon is the heated windshield. It's in
semi-retirement at the former Clinton County Air Force Base serving as
my airport car. Nothing nicer than being stranded in Hooterville during
the winter knowing you can start up, hit the de-ice button and be frost
free in minutes.

I had that feature on my 1986 Sable and loved it! Too bad no one is offering
it these days.