Posted to rec.audio.car
the_lower_class_brat the_lower_class_brat is offline

Default Speakers

Okay so I jsut got some new 6.5s and a head unit for my 1991 Honda
Accord. Everything sounds great except the back speakers. They sound
alot thinner and have very little bass. I'm guessing this is because
they're operating basically off free air (the magnets and back of
speakers are exposed in trunk)? Well anyways I was wondering if there
was anyhting thing I could do to add a little more bass. Possibly seal
them off with a silicone of some sort or get locktite nuts to have them
tied down. Because when I bought the car the back so called "speaker
boxes" had nothing holding them down, so maybe there is not enough air
pressure. Anyways, I'm just looking for ideas, give a shout!

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

"the_lower_class_brat" wrote in message
ups.com...
Okay so I jsut got some new 6.5s and a head unit for my 1991 Honda
Accord. Everything sounds great except the back speakers. They sound
alot thinner and have very little bass. I'm guessing this is because
they're operating basically off free air (the magnets and back of
speakers are exposed in trunk)? Well anyways I was wondering if there
was anyhting thing I could do to add a little more bass. Possibly seal
them off with a silicone of some sort or get locktite nuts to have them
tied down. Because when I bought the car the back so called "speaker
boxes" had nothing holding them down, so maybe there is not enough air
pressure. Anyways, I'm just looking for ideas, give a shout!

Try this.
Fade to the rear speakers with something that has a little bass to it.
then balance from left to right. If you have better bass when all the way
right or left your speaker may be out of phase.
On that year Honda, the Red and the Blue speaker wires are positive

Posted to rec.audio.car
the_lower_class_brat the_lower_class_brat is offline

Alright thanks bra. Yea, I put fluff all around the metal to reduce
metallic sounds and also all the foam had dried out on the speak boxes,
so I refoamed them and now theres a huge difference already. Tomorrow
I'm going to the store to buy some nuts so I can really fasten the
boxes down for maximum performance. Also I believe they were out of
phase, Thanks alot bra.
e-nigma wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

On Dec 21, 7:32 pm, "the_lower_class_brat"
wrote:

Tomorrow I'm going to the store to buy some nuts...

*snicker*

Thanks alot bra.

Yer welcome, panty.

(Sorry, fruit was hanging too low to resist.)

-dan

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

the_lower_class_brat wrote:
Okay so I jsut got some new 6.5s and a head unit for my 1991 Honda
Accord. Everything sounds great except the back speakers. They sound
alot thinner and have very little bass. I'm guessing this is because
they're operating basically off free air (the magnets and back of
speakers are exposed in trunk)? Well anyways I was wondering if there
was anyhting thing I could do to add a little more bass. Possibly seal
them off with a silicone of some sort or get locktite nuts to have them
tied down. Because when I bought the car the back so called "speaker
boxes" had nothing holding them down, so maybe there is not enough air
pressure. Anyways, I'm just looking for ideas, give a shout!

Someone already suggested checking the phase... the other imporant consideration
is that you want the front of the speaker as well-separated from the back of the
speaker as possible. The problem is, the sound waves from the back of the cone
can travel from around to the front, out of phase, and cancel out the sound from
the front of the speaker. Since the lower the frequency, the less directional
sound becomes, the effect gets more pronounced the lower the notes go.

Any kind of gap in the mounting will allow enough leakage to cause erious
cancellation, so sealing around the speaker frame will help a lot.

Unfortuantely, the thin cardboard most rear car decks are constructed of do
little to block the back-wave, so you're at a disadvantage there. Replacing the
cardboard with something more solid is ideal, but probably not very practical.
Putting a box around the back of the speaker is probably easier.

The problem with a small sealed box is that most of these kinds of speakers are
designed to run "free-air" (without a sealed, sized enclosure behind them), so
if you build boxes, they'd need to be relatively roomy...

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mariachi Mariachi is offline

yes, this happened to me one time. My rear speakers were out of phase
and were not getting any bass at all with the balance in the center.
Since then, I figured out that I had the speaker wire connected wrong
and now they pound like mad. ALSO MAKE SURE that the rear channels and
the front channels are in phase too. What i mean by that is make sure
you have all the positive channels coming from your head unit to the
positive inlets of your speakers, because if you have a both rear
positive wires (coming out of the head unit) connected to both negative
speaker leads then they will produce bass but will be out of sync with
the front speakers (unfortunately i learned the hard way). One person
told me that a speaker will not work if I have the positive cable
connected to the negative lead and the negative cable to the positive
lead. NOT TRUE. It will work but not well, so even if the speaker
makes sound doesn't really mean its wired correctly. Also, you may
want to put new wires in for your rear speakers. If you want zero
distortion, I say go with 12 gauge wires (i prefer sound king) with
gold plated crimps and gold plated connections. Also, you want to make
absolutely certain that all your crimps and connections and very very
tight in order to get all the sound quality coming from the head unit.
Believe it makes a HUGE difference. The thicker the wire the lower the
resistance and the lower the distortion... bigger wires provide clearer
highs, deeper bass, and overall better sound quality.

e-nigma wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mariachi Mariachi is offline

and i forget you may want to get speaker baffles which you can get from
crutchfield or somewhere else on the web, which are made to bring out
the bass and to aid in bass response timing.

e-nigma wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
the_lower_class_brat the_lower_class_brat is offline

Well I don't plan on keeping the car that long, so I'll just keep the
stock wire, sounds good enough to my ears as is. Also I plan to put a
sub in this month. My freind says he'll sell me his alpine amp for 20
dollars. Does anyone know a decent 10" inch sub I could pick up for
50-70 dollars? I don't listen to rap, but I do like feeling the kick
drum and bass, therfor I don't need anything AMAZING. Im thinking about
picking up a blaupunkt one from ebay, to go along with my blaupunkt
speakers, and since they go for only 32 dollars, I don't think I could
go wrong.

e-nigma wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
the_lower_class_brat the_lower_class_brat is offline

Nevermind I take that back, haha. I'm just being lazy, I don't have the
slightest clue how to rewire all the speaker wire, without tearing up
the dashboard.

e-nigma wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mariachi Mariachi is offline

The hardest thing about replacing the speaker wire in my car was taking
off the front door panels... I have a Chevy Cavalier 2 door coupe and
they are pretty easy to deal with when it comes to running wires
throughout the car. I can't say the same for taking off the engine
starter though... Anyways, before I replaced the wire I put gold
plated crimps and gold plated heads on my speaker connections and I was
surprised on how much difference it makes. The sound king wires made a
big difference too... overall it created a solid sound in my opinion
(the way its posed to sound like). But if you're not an audiophile and
all you like is bass then an amp and sub would be just fine. I know a
lot of people who don't want to bother with the stock wires or inside
speakers and all they get is an amp and sub. Me, I'm just the
opposite, no subs but really high quality speakers inside. I might
think about getting a sub sometime, but for now I'm happy with what I
have.

And for your 10" inch subs... if you don't have an account on ebay, get
one! Because you will find the biggest deals there other than your
friends giving you things for a cheap price...

for instance... check this out

http://cgi.ebay.com/1400-Watt-Pair-1...QQcmdZViewItem

or just type 10" inch subwoofer in the ebay search and you'll find tons
of items for a cheap price, but remember to look at the seller's
ratings before you do anything

e-nigma wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mariachi Mariachi is offline

yeah the seller "thedeepdiscount" looks pretty good according to their
ratings... another good company on ebay is indoaudio... they sell all
the bran names for cheap prices... take a look or you can buy
subwoofers at retail price and lose 200 dollars, your choice