Posted to rec.audio.car
ScottReeve ScottReeve is offline

Default Alpine CDA-9857 tuner issues

Got a CDA-9857 HU installed recently.

First I just had the HU put in, then a few weeks later, 4 speakers and
an amp.

However, as soon as the HU was put in, I noticed that the the stations
would come in plenty strong, but the SQ was pretty bad: cracks, pops,
hisses, tinny - you name it. It's especially noticable when someone
was talking (I listen to a fair amount of talk radio). It's really
unlistenable most of the time.

Thinking that maybe the stock speakers were showing some kind of strain
with the new HU, I thought that once I got the speakers and the amp
installed it may not be there anymo Wrong.

I had Boston Acoustics RC61 in the front and RM6 in the back and an
Alpine 3553 (bridged to 2 channel mode). Same issue: everything
sounded fine, except the tuner quality.

I called Alpine tech support and they said that it may be a defective
antenna adapter.

I had heard reviews that the tuner had issues, but it all seemed
focused on tuner reception strength and not on tuner SQ (I live in the
Boston area and there are plenty of stations that come in good and
strong).

I've got half a mind to give up on the Alpine HU, but the Ipod
connectivity is great.

Not sure how to handle this, I can 1) get another HU altogether (The
$300 Clarion comes to mind) or I can 2) replace the 9857 with another
one or 3) try a different Alpine: 9856 or 4) have Alpine check out the
HU.

Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Posted to rec.audio.car
James James is offline

This is not likely your problem, but it is possible.

I recently installed the very same radio in my Jeep Wrangler. The unit
worked fine on Cd's and my iPod. But, the radio reception seemed odd. It
was much worse on am (you said you listen to talk radio.... most of it is
on am. )

To make a long story short, I had accidentally separated the antenna cable
at a junction point just behind my glove box. Thus , the tuner was using
just about 24 inches of coax from the back of the HU to the junction point.
I didn't even know there was an additonal coupler or junction, I thought it
was a solid coax from the HU to the base of the antenna.

You just might want to check this. It would give you erratic radio
reception, including possible crackling. Again, this would be more
pronounced on am.

Please let us know if this helps.

--James--

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

Is it bad on both AM and FM and how is you AM reception?
What year and type vehicle is it? Some newer vehicles have amplified
antennas and if the installer may not hook that up.

"ScottReeve" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
ck ck is offline

Try jvc hdr1 has ipod ready all you need is the i pod adaptor. there is a
repate from hd radio on this unit if purchased before 12-31-06 i think. more
bang for the buck with jvc
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car

e-nigma wrote:
Is it bad on both AM and FM and how is you AM reception?
What year and type vehicle is it? Some newer vehicles have amplified
antennas and if the installer may not hook that up.

I tried the AM stations and they sound just like I expected - no
problems.
Only the FM sounds bad.

Unfortunately, I don't listen to AM at all.

It will be a bummer if I have to yank the Alpine just for the tuner
because everything else about the HU is good/excellent.

I think the next step is sending it right to Alpine.

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
James James is offline

Did you check the antenna coax coupler, as previously suggested ??

I had the very same experience, and my in-line coax coupler had been pulled
apart. Not the antenna coax plug at the radio, but a coupler right behind
the glove box.

--James--

Posted to rec.audio.car
James James is offline

By the way, I also have the very same Alpine 9857. It is a great radio !
The symptons you described indicate a likely problem with the antenna. I
would explore that area very carefully before I tried another radio.

Good Luck

--------------------------------------

Did you check the antenna coax coupler, as previously suggested ??

I had the very same experience, and my in-line coax coupler had been pulled
apart. Not the antenna coax plug at the radio, but a coupler right behind
the glove box.

--James--

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

"ScottReeve" wrote in message
ps.com...

e-nigma wrote:
Is it bad on both AM and FM and how is you AM reception?
What year and type vehicle is it? Some newer vehicles have amplified
antennas and if the installer may not hook that up.

I tried the AM stations and they sound just like I expected - no
problems.
Only the FM sounds bad.

Unfortunately, I don't listen to AM at all.

It will be a bummer if I have to yank the Alpine just for the tuner
because everything else about the HU is good/excellent.

I think the next step is sending it right to Alpine.

If the AM works fine and the FM does not, then the problem is more than
likely the FM tuner inside the unit itself.
If it was the antenna, then AM would be 1st to go.