Posted to rec.audio.car
xman xman is offline

Default Better 12's for a sealed box

Hi all, I have another problem for you guys. I'm the kid who has the
Trans am and was wondering about upgrading my current setup. I have 2
12" Sony xplod P5's in a sealed box with two seperate chambers
measuring 1.75" a piece, and they're being powered by a Kenwood 9152D
amp. I know that this setup should be pushing the subs a little past
their RMS, but when I turn it up about half way, the speakers
themselves are distorting. I am wondering if maybe I change my input
sensitivity, if that will help with the distortion, or if I should look
at a better pair of subs, and if that choice, what kind would be best
with that amp? The main reason I got those subs were because I can
actually hear down to 18 hertz, and the difference between the usual 25
and 18 Hz to me is huge. I have heard from many people that Elemental
Design subs are good, but what are some others that:
A) Won't distort when turned up
B) Hit at least a 20Hz freq. and
C) Don't cost $400 a piece
Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

one of the biggest issues you have is that 1.75 cubes per sub is a bit
large for most 12's, which reduces mechanical power handling. you may
be experiencing some of this here, or it may actually be clipping of
the amp (volume at halfway does not determine amount of amp output, the
gain on the amp in relation to input voltage does).

not to mention those sonys probably don't sound overly great in the
first place. but one thing to try would be to put some wooden blocks
or something like that inside the enclosures to eat up some space and
get the internal volume down to 1-1.25 cubes and see if that makes a
difference.

After the results of that test are in and you still want different
subs.......I'd first stay away from ED due to shoddy business
practices. secondly........maybe post a more precise budget and we'll
go from there.

ps- you can also mess with the gain a little if you want to satisfy
your curiosity in that regard. another thing to do would be to turn
off any bass boost, as that can distort subs before they normally
would.

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
mfreak mfreak is offline

Also, that's about the right size box to be ported, if you're not bent
on staying with a sealed setup.. A piece of 4" PVC about 16" long in
each chamber will tune you down in the low-mid 30's. If you let them
stick out of the box a little, thereby increasing your chamber volume,
you can increase your LF a little bit more.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MitsuDiamante MitsuDiamante is offline

Id never buy any Sony products in terms of subwoofers, speakers, or
amps. Sony trys to get there nose into everything and just make ****
products. I believe all of their products are made with
polypropalyneI, which in a broad sense is close to plastic.
Polypropaline has been used in for about the past 10 years in speakers
and now is outmatched with Polycarbonate, Kevlar, and even aluminum.
Currently I have full alpine, probably the most heard of and respected
when it comes to sound systems. If ur under a tight budget I'd go for
Eclipse. They make good quality subs and components, but they dont
bang quite as loud as my expectations reach for. Also, Kicker is a
very well known company that have a patient on their square subs..
They're hot and a little more expensive than the Eclipse.

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

MitsuDiamante;661462 Wrote:
Also, Kicker is a
very well known company that have a patient on their square subs..
They're hot and a little more expensive than the Eclipse.

and also sound like garbage. Eclipse subs sound better IMO.

--
KU40

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

Captain_Howdy;661529 Wrote:
What does garbage sound like ?

oh, trying to get me back, huh. that's fine.

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
Erik Erik is offline

KU,

Got me curious. I've not heard anything about eD's business practices.
Can you elaborate?

Thanks,

KU40 wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain_Howdy Captain_Howdy is offline

Nah, I was just making a point but you already know that.

In article , KU40
wrote:

Captain_Howdy;661529 Wrote:
What does garbage sound like ?

oh, trying to get me back, huh. that's fine.

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

Erik, a few of the greviences are in he
http://forum.carstereos.org/ben-milne-love-t47918.html

for other threads, search "Ben Milne" using the search feature on that
site.

--
KU40