wylbur37

Default Is Audacity able to read/play an audio CD?

Audacity is obviously able to read/play a sound file
saved on the hard-drive.

But when I tried to have Audacity (version 1.2.1)
load a track from an audio CD, it said ...

Error Importing
"D:\Track03.cda" is an audio CD file
Audacity does not open this type of file
Try ripping it to a native audio format that Audacity can import.

(I also tried "Project - Import Audio", and got the same results).

Is Audacity really able to read/play an audio CD
and I just haven't figured it out yet,
or has this function just not been written into Audacity yet?
dadiOH

wylbur37 wrote:
Audacity is obviously able to read/play a sound file
saved on the hard-drive.

But when I tried to have Audacity (version 1.2.1)
load a track from an audio CD, it said ...

Error Importing
"D:\Track03.cda" is an audio CD file
Audacity does not open this type of file
Try ripping it to a native audio format that Audacity can import.

(I also tried "Project - Import Audio", and got the same results).

Is Audacity really able to read/play an audio CD
and I just haven't figured it out yet,
or has this function just not been written into Audacity yet?

Why don't you believe what it told you?

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Rod

"normanstrong" wrote in

Their FAQ says:
8. How do I get songs from an audio CD?

Audacity does not extract songs from audio CDs. You need to use a

"ripper"
program for this.

For Windows, we recommend CDex.

CDexcan be found here :

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

Suppose you had to make a choice of rippers between Audiograbber, CDex
or EAC. Which would you pick? What would be the second choice?

I'm using CDex to my satisfaction, tried it together with EAC, don't no
what made me choose for CDex. I don't know anything about Audiograbber.

--
Rod
Listening to http://www.stubru.be/luisterlive/streams/high.html

Arny Krueger

"normanstrong" wrote in message

Suppose you had to make a choice of rippers between Audiograbber, CDex
or EAC. Which would you pick? What would be the second choice?

I periodically find systems that will work with CDEX but not EAC, or vice
versa. That makes it easy to choose!

Mister Charlie

"normanstrong" wrote in message

"Rod" wrote in message
(wylbur37) wrote in
om:

Audacity is obviously able to read/play a sound file
saved on the hard-drive.

But when I tried to have Audacity (version 1.2.1)
load a track from an audio CD, it said ...

snip
Is Audacity really able to read/play an audio CD
and I just haven't figured it out yet,
or has this function just not been written into Audacity yet?

Their FAQ says:
8. How do I get songs from an audio CD?

Audacity does not extract songs from audio CDs. You need to use a

"ripper"
program for this.

For Windows, we recommend CDex.

CDexcan be found here :

http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

Suppose you had to make a choice of rippers between Audiograbber, CDex
or EAC. Which would you pick? What would be the second choice?

Thanks,

I use the CD ripper from dbamp myself. I wasn't happy with

Audiograbber, never tried EAC and CDex won't work on my system, for some
reason I totally forget as it's been a long time since I checked it out.

TonyP

"normanstrong" wrote in message
Suppose you had to make a choice of rippers between Audiograbber, CDex
or EAC. Which would you pick? What would be the second choice?

For secure data extraction I choose EAC. For speed and ease of use I'd
choose Audiograbber if data errors are not important.
CDex is OK too. Why don't you just try them all for yourself?

TonyP.

Anti_Freak_Machine

normanstrong wrote:

Suppose you had to make a choice of rippers between Audiograbber, CDex
or EAC. Which would you pick? What would be the second choice?

Thanks,

Norm Strong

I use audioggrabber. Haven't used the others.

--
Super Mike
"Mi asno querría un enano y un yate, por favor."
normanstrong

"TonyP" wrote in message
u...

"normanstrong" wrote in message
Suppose you had to make a choice of rippers between Audiograbber,

CDex
or EAC. Which would you pick? What would be the second choice?

For secure data extraction I choose EAC. For speed and ease of use

I'd
choose Audiograbber if data errors are not important.
CDex is OK too. Why don't you just try them all for yourself?

This was a question of general interest. I have all 3, and usually
use CDex, but I'm always curious to find out how others feel.

Thanks for answering,

Norm Strong

Eugene Esterly III

"normanstrong" wrote in message news:vBU8d.422322$8_6.214729@attbi_s04...

Suppose you had to make a choice of rippers between Audiograbber, CDex
or EAC. Which would you pick? What would be the second choice?

Thanks,

Norm Strong

Well, I always recommend EAC (Exact Audio Copy) which can be
downloaded from http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ because, IMO, it's one
of the best CD rippers. I don't have a second choice, EAC is my only
choice.