gil

Default Power amp relay problems

My SAE A502 relays both power and speaker have stopped working, I
actually have to push them close for the amp to work and sometimes
they dont even stay close.
Could it be not enough current going into the relay coils?
And last resort...could I replace the relays with switches?
I know this is an old amp but still sounds good and hate to get rid of
it.

Thanks in advance.....Gil

Robert Gault

There is a reason why the amp uses relays so if you jumper them out of
the circuit or use switches you could send a damaging signal to your
speakers. Clearly a repair of the relay circuit is in order.

Rather than asking about current, use a VOM to measure the power going
to the relays. Try to obtain or read the schematics for the amp looking
for diagnostic test points for the relays. When or if you find a problem
with the relay power or associated circuitry, then questions about the
best method of repair make sense.

gil wrote:

My SAE A502 relays both power and speaker have stopped working, I
actually have to push them close for the amp to work and sometimes
they dont even stay close.
Could it be not enough current going into the relay coils?
And last resort...could I replace the relays with switches?
I know this is an old amp but still sounds good and hate to get rid of
it.

Thanks in advance.....Gil

Pooh Bear

gil wrote:

My SAE A502 relays both power and speaker have stopped working, I
actually have to push them close for the amp to work and sometimes
they dont even stay close.
Could it be not enough current going into the relay coils?

It sounds very much like that.

Maybe there's a separate supply voltage that powers the relays where the
storage capacitor has come to the end of its life. That would cause low
voltage ( and current ) to the relay coils.

Do you know how to troubleshoot ? If not, find a repair tech.

And last resort...could I replace the relays with switches?

Best to fix the problem really.

Graham