Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walker Walker is offline

Default CD player static buildup

I have a Dynaco CDV-2 tube output CD player. It builds up what seems to be a
static charge and when I tap the case it discharges. As long as I do it
every two or three CDs it's not a problem and doesn't affect the playback
otherwise. I've ruled out the tubes and am wondering if anyone has had this
problem and what they did to resolve it. I'm close to taking off the cover
and wiggling things to look for the obvious.

I also have a Dynaco CDV-1 that occasionally drops out for a split second
and only does it once every couple of CDs. It's also a minor annoyance and
neither really takes away from the enjoyment of listening but these are
things that I'd like to get resolved and try to rule out the simple things
before paying a tech $$$ to tell me that it's a loose connection.

Thank you.

Bob Walker
www.walker-entertainment.com
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
BEAR BEAR is offline

Walker wrote:
[...]

Static you say?
Why do you say static?
Static would discharge with an ever so light touch.
Is that what is happening?
A spark? An audible "tic"?

A tap would indicate another thing.
Try an insulative stick, like a bit of wood or plastic that is stiff.
Tap with that.
If that has an effect then it is mechanical, not static electricity.

Report back.

_-_-bear
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walker Walker is offline

"bear" wrote in message
Walker wrote:
[...]

Static is an assumption based on the scratchy sound that it makes through
the speakers and the fact that it builds in intensity the longer that it's
left alone and for lack of better words 'discharges' when the case is tapped
or bumped and not just touched although it only takes a light tap to clear
it. It doesn't discharge through the body but dislodges (for lack of better
words) from being bumped. If there's a spark it's inside the case and I only
hear noise from the speakers, which sounds just like a static discharge. I
can tap it wearing a glove or with a stick and it does the same thing. It
takes three or four light taps to clear it and the initial sound is more
intense and diminishes quickly with each tap. Whether it's mechanical or
electrical the effect is noise and it's a sound very similar to a dirty pot
when you spin the control to dislodge the dirt. It only does it when CDs are
played and the intensity of the noise varies depending on when I clear it.
Sometimes it's light crackle and sometimes it's quite loud and takes four or
five taps to clear it. That's the best way that I can describe it.

I guess that it's time to take it to a tech.

Bob Walker
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walker Walker is offline

"Walker" wrote in message
"bear" wrote in message
Walker wrote:
[...]

Let me qualify that it's when I change CDs that I'll tap the case and hear
the scratchy sound and not while the CD is playing. It's no big deal to give
it a couple of light taps when I change a CD and it's just part of the
routine. It's less than an annoyance but I was hoping for perfect.

Bob W
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Norman M. Schwartz Norman M. Schwartz is offline

"Walker" wrote in message
"Walker" wrote in message
"bear" wrote in message
Walker wrote:
[...]

If the noise be truly a result "static" electricity, I would suspect there
to be a realtionship with respect to the relative humidity in your listening
room. Are there any differences in amount of static that you experience
under in dryer (winter like) vs. more (summer like) humid conditions?

Bob W

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walker Walker is offline

"Norman M. Schwartz" wrote in message
"Walker" wrote in message
"Walker" wrote in message
"bear" wrote in message
Walker wrote:
[...]

Perhaps I need to stop using static as a reference and just call it a
'scratchy sound'. I have a nearly identical Dynaco CDP that doesn't do it,
although it has it's own annoying issue.

To answer your comment about humidity; I live in the SW desert and it's very
dry all of the time with very little humidity change throughout the year and
static is only an issue with certain fabrics. The conditions haven't changed
in the house for almost 10 years and I've had dozens of CDPs and DVDPs over
the years on this system and have never had this problem although these are
my first tube output CDPs. However, I understand what you mean from living
in climates where static is an issue when the air gets dryer.

I really do appreciate all of the comments and advice but I think that it's
time to take it to a tech.

Bob Walker

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
BEAR BEAR is offline

Walker wrote:
"Walker" wrote in message
"bear" wrote in message

snip

Bob Walker

Let me qualify that it's when I change CDs that I'll tap the case and hear
the scratchy sound and not while the CD is playing. It's no big deal to give
it a couple of light taps when I change a CD and it's just part of the
routine. It's less than an annoyance but I was hoping for perfect.

Bob W

You have a mechanically based electronic intermittent.
Probably a bad solder joint or connector.

Based on your present description.

IF the sound is in both channels then it is in the PS or somewhere in
the digital path, probably in a power supply lead, although that's
not 100% certain.

_-_-bear
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walker Walker is offline

"bear" wrote in message
Walker wrote:
"Walker" wrote in message
"bear" wrote in message

snip

Bob Walker

Let me qualify that it's when I change CDs that I'll tap the case and
hear the scratchy sound and not while the CD is playing. It's no big deal
to give it a couple of light taps when I change a CD and it's just part
of the routine. It's less than an annoyance but I was hoping for perfect.

Bob W

You have a mechanically based electronic intermittent.
Probably a bad solder joint or connector.

Based on your present description.

IF the sound is in both channels then it is in the PS or somewhere in
the digital path, probably in a power supply lead, although that's
not 100% certain.

_-_-bear

Thank you. I'll check it out in the next week or so and report back.

Bob W

Static sound from my amp chakagar Pro Audio 4 June 21st 07 12:29 AM
Bad static Moxious Audio Opinions 1 April 21st 06 09:24 AM
OT - Static problem Geoff Wood Pro Audio 7 September 17th 05 06:08 PM
Name that static [email protected] Pro Audio 21 July 13th 05 03:17 PM
Sirius Static! Cindy Tech 18 December 30th 03 02:40 AM