Posted to rec.audio.tech
Gene[_2_] Gene[_2_] is offline

Default Wireless Headphones for Living Room TV

My wife works in a room adjacent to the living room where the TV is.
I want to get a set of wireless headphones that will allow me to mute
the TV sound (so it doesn't bother her) and I want to hear it through
the headphones so her conversations don't bother me. The best I can
tell is that the headphones are driven off the audio output which is
controlled by the TV volume control. That is not what I want to be
able to do. The TV is a 6 year old large screen Hitachi. Is there
anyway I can accomplish what I described?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

"Gene" wrote ...
My wife works in a room adjacent to the living room where the TV is.
I want to get a set of wireless headphones that will allow me to mute
the TV sound (so it doesn't bother her) and I want to hear it through
the headphones so her conversations don't bother me. The best I can
tell is that the headphones are driven off the audio output which is
controlled by the TV volume control. That is not what I want to be
able to do. The TV is a 6 year old large screen Hitachi. Is there
anyway I can accomplish what I described?

If your TV set does not have ouptut connector(s) which mute the
internal speaker(s), you are likely out of luck. NOT recommended
to try to hack into a TV set. It is potentially lethal.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

On 7 Mar 2007 10:20:46 -0800, "Gene" wrote:

My wife works in a room adjacent to the living room where the TV is.
I want to get a set of wireless headphones that will allow me to mute
the TV sound (so it doesn't bother her) and I want to hear it through
the headphones so her conversations don't bother me. The best I can
tell is that the headphones are driven off the audio output which is
controlled by the TV volume control. That is not what I want to be
able to do. The TV is a 6 year old large screen Hitachi. Is there
anyway I can accomplish what I described?

Thanks in advance.

Where are you? Here in the UK I'd recommend a Freeview digital box
connected to your choice of amplifier and distribution system. Better
watch the picture through the Freeview box too though - it won't be in
sync. with the terrestrial broadcast.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On 7 Mar 2007 13:09:07 -0800, "Gene" wrote:
My wife works in a room adjacent to the living room where the TV is.
I want to get a set of wireless headphones that will allow me to mute
the TV sound (so it doesn't bother her) and I want to hear it through
the headphones so her conversations don't bother me. The best I can
tell is that the headphones are driven off the audio output which is
controlled by the TV volume control. That is not what I want to be
able to do. The TV is a 6 year old large screen Hitachi. Is there
anyway I can accomplish what I described?

Tell us about your equipment. What inputs/outputs does your TV have?
Is it connected to a cable or satellite box? If so, what
inputs/outputs does that have?

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Gene" wrote in message
ups.com...
My wife works in a room adjacent to the living room where the TV is.
I want to get a set of wireless headphones that will allow me to mute
the TV sound (so it doesn't bother her) and I want to hear it through
the headphones so her conversations don't bother me. The best I can
tell is that the headphones are driven off the audio output which is
controlled by the TV volume control. That is not what I want to be
able to do. The TV is a 6 year old large screen Hitachi. Is there
anyway I can accomplish what I described?

Do you have a VCR or PVR you can connect the headphone transmitter to?

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Gene[_2_] Gene[_2_] is offline

On Mar 8, 7:15 am, "Mr.T" MrT@home wrote:
"Gene" wrote in message

ups.com...

My wife works in a room adjacent to the living room where the TV is.
I want to get a set of wireless headphones that will allow me to mute
the TV sound (so it doesn't bother her) and I want to hear it through
the headphones so her conversations don't bother me. The best I can
tell is that the headphones are driven off the audio output which is
controlled by the TV volume control. That is not what I want to be
able to do. The TV is a 6 year old large screen Hitachi. Is there
anyway I can accomplish what I described?

Do you have a VCR or PVR you can connect the headphone transmitter to?

MrT.

I have FIOS TV with a DVR. I could hook the transmitter to the DVR
audio output but then the overall TV volume would be affected. We use
the volume adjustments on both the TV and DVR to get the right level.
The large screen Toshiba has audio outputs that I have going to the
stereo system for surround sound. I don't always use surround sound
only for movies.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Gene" wrote in message
ps.com...
My wife works in a room adjacent to the living room where the TV is.
I want to get a set of wireless headphones that will allow me to mute
the TV sound (so it doesn't bother her) and I want to hear it through
the headphones so her conversations don't bother me. The best I can
tell is that the headphones are driven off the audio output which is
controlled by the TV volume control. That is not what I want to be
able to do. The TV is a 6 year old large screen Hitachi. Is there
anyway I can accomplish what I described?

Do you have a VCR or PVR you can connect the headphone transmitter to?

I have FIOS TV with a DVR. I could hook the transmitter to the DVR
audio output but then the overall TV volume would be affected.

?? You just said you want to mute the TV sound.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Bruce K. Bruce K. is offline

On 7 Mar 2007 10:20:46 -0800, "Gene" wrote:

My wife works in a room adjacent to the living room where the TV is.
I want to get a set of wireless headphones that will allow me to mute
the TV sound (so it doesn't bother her) and I want to hear it through
the headphones so her conversations don't bother me. The best I can
tell is that the headphones are driven off the audio output which is
controlled by the TV volume control. That is not what I want to be
able to do. The TV is a 6 year old large screen Hitachi. Is there
anyway I can accomplish what I described?

Thanks in advance.

Try splitting the audio output from the TV using 'Y' RCA adapters (one
male to 2 female).

Run one end of the outputs to a wireless headphone like this one.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3962029

Worked like a charm for me.

Bruce
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Gene[_2_] Gene[_2_] is offline

On Mar 8, 9:29 pm, "Mr.T" MrT@home wrote:
"Gene" wrote in message

ps.com...

My wife works in a room adjacent to the living room where the TV is.
I want to get a set of wireless headphones that will allow me to mute
the TV sound (so it doesn't bother her) and I want to hear it through
the headphones so her conversations don't bother me. The best I can
tell is that the headphones are driven off the audio output which is
controlled by the TV volume control. That is not what I want to be
able to do. The TV is a 6 year old large screen Hitachi. Is there
anyway I can accomplish what I described?

Do you have a VCR or PVR you can connect the headphone transmitter to?

I have FIOS TV with a DVR. I could hook the transmitter to the DVR
audio output but then the overall TV volume would be affected.

?? You just said you want to mute the TV sound.

MrT.

Sorry, what I meant was, I want to mute the sound coming from the
speakers so I do not disturb my wife. But, I want to be able to
adjust the sound coming into the headset.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Gene" wrote in message
oups.com...
Sorry, what I meant was, I want to mute the sound coming from the
speakers so I do not disturb my wife. But, I want to be able to
adjust the sound coming into the headset.

All the wireless headphones I have seen have a volume control on them.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Ron Ron is offline

On Mar 11, 4:48 pm, "Gene" wrote:
On Mar 8, 9:29 pm, "Mr.T" MrT@home wrote:

"Gene" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Hook up your wireless headphones transponder to the audio out on the
back of the TV. If you are already using the outputs you will need 2
RCA splitters with one male and two female plugs.

Then when you want to use the headphones, set the TV's audio controls
to "variable output" and "speaker off", this will mute the TV and
allow you to adjust the volume.

You will also have a volume control on the headphones, but in this
application you won't need it. When I mow my lawn I use my wireless
headphones and the volume control is a must since I'm no where near
the audio source.

BTW, don't forget to set your TV's audio controls back when done.