Karl Engel

Default Size of stereo MP3s & mono the same?

Because stereo wavs take up more space than mono, I've always tended to
email mono files if the file is from a mono source (eg voice-over). This
has affected how my projects are set up, which panning law I use etc. I
just discovered that MP3s of the same content are the same size, mono OR
stereo. Huh? Now this I could perhaps understand if there is no difference
in the content of each channel (still a mono source) but it seems to be the
case even if there originally is stereo content.

Joe Kesselman

How have you specified the MP3 compression? If it's bits per second, a
mono version *will* be identical in size to the stereo version.

Also, I believe MP3 uses a mid/side representation, since (as in FM
stereo) you can assume that most of the information is actually in the
mid so side can be compressed more agressively. If so, a mono signal
encoded as a stereo MP3 is all mid, no side -- and the genuinely mono
MP3, again, would be essentially the same data.

So that's two possible explanations for your observation.
Dave Morrison

"Joe Kesselman" wrote in message
How have you specified the MP3 compression? If it's bits per second, a
mono version *will* be identical in size to the stereo version.

Also, I believe MP3 uses a mid/side representation, since (as in FM
stereo) you can assume that most of the information is actually in the mid
so side can be compressed more agressively. If so, a mono signal encoded
as a stereo MP3 is all mid, no side -- and the genuinely mono MP3, again,
would be essentially the same data.

So that's two possible explanations for your observation.

I think that the Apple iTunes encoder refers to this as "Joint Stereo"
encoding. If I understand correctly how it works, the encoder optimizes the
file size whenever it can by looking for the mono component of the file.

dave

jwvm

The size of an MP3 file depends on the bit rate such as 128 kb/sec for
CBR or constant bit rate encoding. Note that this is very different
from the sample rate like 44.1 kHz or 48 kHz which is function of how
the analog signal is digitized. You can raise or lower the bit rate to
trade off quality and file size. Note that if you don't change the bit
rate, the mp3 file size will be the same for mono or stereo. However,
you should be able to reduce the bit rate somewhat for mono and have
the equivalent quality of a stereo file at the higher bit rate. This
will not necessarily be a 2:1 relationship, however, because of the
existing correlation between the two channels improves the sound
quality relative to file size.

Scott Dorsey

Karl Engel wrote:
Because stereo wavs take up more space than mono, I've always tended to
email mono files if the file is from a mono source (eg voice-over). This
has affected how my projects are set up, which panning law I use etc. I
just discovered that MP3s of the same content are the same size, mono OR
stereo. Huh? Now this I could perhaps understand if there is no difference
in the content of each channel (still a mono source) but it seems to be the
case even if there originally is stereo content.

When you encode an MP3, you tell the encoder how much actual bandwidth
you have available to send it. Then, the encoder throws stuff away
so that the signal can fit in that bandwidth.

If you have a stereo signal that you want to fit through a given pipe,
and a mono signal you want to fit through the same pipe, the encoder will
throw away a lot more data from the stereo signal, in order to make it
fit.

That's why it's called "lossy encoding" and the amount of loss that you
get depends on the data rate you tell the encoder you have.