jeffc

Default Revel speakers

I'd be interested in hearing any comments from those who have heard them,
especially the Studio, Salon and Gem speakers. Specifically, was there
anything about them that made them stand out at all in the crowd?

Glenn Zelniker

jeffc wrote:

I'd be interested in hearing any comments from those who have heard them,
especially the Studio, Salon and Gem speakers. Specifically, was there
anything about them that made them stand out at all in the crowd?

I've heard all of them and I currently own Gems. I'll never
part with them. The build quality is great and they look
really cool with modern decor. They're accurate and they'll
play loud. Ditto for the bigger models. The designers knew
what they were doing. The cheaper Revels also sound great
and might even give you more bang for your buck.

GZ
jeffc

"Glenn Zelniker" wrote in message

I've heard all of them and I currently own Gems. I'll never
part with them. The build quality is great and they look
really cool with modern decor. They're accurate and they'll
play loud.

Are you using a subwoofer with the Gems by any chance?

Kalman Rubinson

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:07:56 -0500, Glenn Zelniker
wrote:

jeffc wrote:

I'd be interested in hearing any comments from those who have heard them,
especially the Studio, Salon and Gem speakers. Specifically, was there
anything about them that made them stand out at all in the crowd?

I've heard all of them and I currently own Gems. I'll never
part with them. The build quality is great and they look
really cool with modern decor. They're accurate and they'll
play loud. Ditto for the bigger models. The designers knew
what they were doing. The cheaper Revels also sound great
and might even give you more bang for your buck.

Agreed. I have a pair of Studios and just added another for a center
channel. My feelings about them have been published in Stereophile
and I've owned them for years. No sub, yet.

In addition, my son-in-law and I designed a system for him with Gems
for the L/R. He uses a sub with them.

Kal

Glenn Zelniker

jeffc wrote:

"Glenn Zelniker" wrote in message

I've heard all of them and I currently own Gems. I'll never
part with them. The build quality is great and they look
really cool with modern decor. They're accurate and they'll
play loud.

Are you using a subwoofer with the Gems by any chance?

I was, for a long time -- the Sub15/LE-1. I ran out of room
for it in my living room and I'm currently between subs.
I'll probably replace the sub with a Hsu in a few months.

GZ

Mike McKelvy

Glenn Zelniker Mar 10, 9:45 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.audio.opinion
From: Glenn Zelniker - Find messages by this author

Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:45:22 -0500
Subject: Revel speakers
original | Report Abuse

jeffc wrote:
"Glenn Zelniker" wrote in message

Are you using a subwoofer with the Gems by any chance?

I was, for a long time -- the Sub15/LE-1. I ran out of room
for it in my living room and I'm currently between subs.
I'll probably replace the sub with a Hsu in a few months.

GZ

While I would never knock the Hsu line, I wonder if you've ever
considered or listened to a Adire sub. I currently have one based on
their Shiva 12" woofer which I like very much. I think they offer at
least as muc if not more bang for the buck in comparison to Hsu.

Also SVS is getting a lot of favorable comment.

Any experience with either of these?

Howard Ferstler

Newsgroups: rec.audio.opinion
From: Glenn Zelniker - Find messages by this author

Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:45:22 -0500
original | Report Abuse

jeffc wrote:
"Glenn Zelniker" wrote in message

Are you using a subwoofer with the Gems by any chance?

I was, for a long time -- the Sub15/LE-1. I ran out of room
for it in my living room and I'm currently between subs.
I'll probably replace the sub with a Hsu in a few months.

GZ

While I would never knock the Hsu line, I wonder if you've ever
considered or listened to a Adire sub. I currently have one based on
their Shiva 12" woofer which I like very much. I think they offer at
least as muc if not more bang for the buck in comparison to Hsu.

Also SVS is getting a lot of favorable comment.

Any experience with either of these?

I have reviewed several Hsu and SVS subs for both The
Sensible Sound and The Audiophile Voice (just one Hsu for
this publication, though). I would say that in terms of bang
for the buck, they are roughly equal performers. You really
cannot go wrong with either brand.

Howard Ferstler
George M. Middius

Brother Horace the Cheap Shill said:

I have reviewed several Hsu and SVS subs for both The
Sensible Sound and The Audiophile Voice

This statement condemns both of those brands to bottom-shelf status. Thanks
for the enlightenment, Harold.

Arny Krueger

"George M. Middius" wrote in message

Ferstler scared the %$#!! out of Middius by writing:

I have reviewed several Hsu and SVS subs for both The
Sensible Sound and The Audiophile Voice

This statement condemns both of those brands to bottom-shelf status.
Thanks for the enlightenment, Harold.

I finally figured out why Middius keeps his stereo such a big secret - he
lives in fear of the day that Ferstler gives it a good review. ;-)

Howard Ferstler

Arny Krueger wrote:

"George M. Middius" wrote in message

Ferstler scared the %$#!! out of Middius by writing:

I have reviewed several Hsu and SVS subs for both The
Sensible Sound and The Audiophile Voice

This statement condemns both of those brands to bottom-shelf status.
Thanks for the enlightenment, Harold.

I finally figured out why Middius keeps his stereo such a big secret - he
lives in fear of the day that Ferstler gives it a good review. ;-)

Wouldn't that be a hoot!

Howard Ferstler

George M. Middius

The Big **** crabbed:

I finally figured out why Middius keeps his stereo such a big secret - he
lives in fear of the day that Ferstler gives it a good review. ;-)

Poor Harold Ferstler gurgled:

Wouldn't that be a hoot!

Dear Stupid and Stupider:

Harold has "reviewed" some of my equipment. Of course, anybody who has read
the Ferstlerian's "reviews" knows that his opinions come down to one of two
cases: (A) acceptable performance for the price, or (B) too expensive
regardless of performance. Sad to say, I have some equipment that falls under
(B), but also some that falls under (A).

Addendum for Stupider (that's you, Arnii): The reason you believe what I have
is a "secret" is because you're retarded, or intermittently illiterate, or so
crazy you can't remember simple stuff from one day to the next. ;-)

Robert Morein

[...]

Well, it's nice of you to give him a smile

Clyde Slick

"Mike McKelvy" wrote in message
ups.com...
Glenn Zelniker Mar 10, 9:45 pm show options

Newsgroups: rec.audio.opinion
From: Glenn Zelniker - Find messages by this author

Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:45:22 -0500
original | Report Abuse

jeffc wrote:
"Glenn Zelniker" wrote in message

Are you using a subwoofer with the Gems by any chance?

I was, for a long time -- the Sub15/LE-1. I ran out of room
for it in my living room and I'm currently between subs.
I'll probably replace the sub with a Hsu in a few months.

GZ

While I would never knock the Hsu line, I wonder if you've ever
considered or listened to a Adire sub. I currently have one based on
their Shiva 12" woofer which I like very much. I think they offer at
least as muc if not more bang for the buck in comparison to Hsu.

Also SVS is getting a lot of favorable comment.

Any experience with either of these?

Shivas sound best with the mirrors covered,
but the tweak is only good for seven days.

Margaret von B.

Newsgroups: rec.audio.opinion
From: Glenn Zelniker - Find messages by this author

Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 00:45:22 -0500
original | Report Abuse

jeffc wrote:
"Glenn Zelniker" wrote in message

Are you using a subwoofer with the Gems by any chance?

I was, for a long time -- the Sub15/LE-1. I ran out of room
for it in my living room and I'm currently between subs.
I'll probably replace the sub with a Hsu in a few months.

GZ

While I would never knock the Hsu line, I wonder if you've ever
considered or listened to a Adire sub. I currently have one based on
their Shiva 12" woofer which I like very much. I think they offer at
least as muc if not more bang for the buck in comparison to Hsu.

Also SVS is getting a lot of favorable comment.

Any experience with either of these?

I have reviewed several Hsu and SVS subs

Ha ha ha hah!!!

Margaret

Howard Ferstler

"George M. Middius" wrote:

Harold has "reviewed" some of my equipment. Of course, anybody who has read
the Ferstlerian's "reviews" knows that his opinions come down to one of two
cases: (A) acceptable performance for the price, or (B) too expensive
regardless of performance. Sad to say, I have some equipment that falls under
(B), but also some that falls under (A).

This is easy for you to say, but it is still a copout. It
would be better for you to cut through the fog and simply
say just what this equipment happens to be. That would at
least prove that you indeed own gear that I have reviewed.

Addendum for Stupider (that's you, Arnii): The reason you believe what I have
is a "secret" is because you're retarded, or intermittently illiterate, or so
crazy you can't remember simple stuff from one day to the next. ;-)

Unlike so many others here, I do not recall just what
equipment you own, particularly the versions that I have
reviewed.

Enlighten me - and Arny, too.

Howard Ferstler

Howard Ferstler

"Margaret von B." wrote:

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message

I have reviewed several Hsu and SVS subs

Ha ha ha hah!!!

Margaret

Four Hsu and three SVS units, with most of the reviews
showing up in The Sensible Sound. One showed up in The
Audiophile Voice. I also wrote a TSS article describing how
I modified one of the SVS subs that I purchased. I have also
slightly modified one of the Hsu subs that I also purchased,
but the change was cosmetic and not performance related.

Howard Ferstler
George M. Middius

Poor Howard Ferstler said:

Harold has "reviewed" some of my equipment. Of course, anybody who has read
the Ferstlerian's "reviews" knows that his opinions come down to one of two
cases: (A) acceptable performance for the price, or (B) too expensive
regardless of performance. Sad to say, I have some equipment that falls under
(B), but also some that falls under (A).

This is easy for you to say, but it is still a copout. It
would be better for you to cut through the fog and simply
say just what this equipment happens to be. That would at
least prove that you indeed own gear that I have reviewed.

I've got a secret, and you'll never know. Nyaah nyaah nyaah.

Addendum for Stupider (that's you, Arnii): The reason you believe what I have
is a "secret" is because you're retarded, or intermittently illiterate, or so
crazy you can't remember simple stuff from one day to the next. ;-)

Unlike so many others here, I do not recall just what
equipment you own, particularly the versions that I have
reviewed.

Enlighten me - and Arny, too.

You need enlightenment, Harold? From me, of all people? ;-)

OK, on this I can oblige you. You are a carbuncle and Krooger is a turd.
There, that should do it.

Your pal,

George

P.S. You didn't ask for enlightenment of previously undisclosed knowledge.
If you had, I'd have revealed that you are a hack who wallows in mediocrity
and mendacity, who has zero ethics, and who is locked in an unbreakable
death dance with imaginary demons. As for Krooger, I'd have shared that he
is a pathological liar, that he is totally lacking in any degree of
self-awareness, and that he's altogether nuts. And if you doubt any of
these facts, I have documented, scientifically validated test results to
prove them.

Howard Ferstler

"George M. Middius" wrote:

Poor Howard Ferstler said:

George M. said:

Harold has "reviewed" some of my equipment. Of course, anybody who has read
the Ferstlerian's "reviews" knows that his opinions come down to one of two
cases: (A) acceptable performance for the price, or (B) too expensive
regardless of performance. Sad to say, I have some equipment that falls under
(B), but also some that falls under (A).

This is easy for you to say, but it is still a copout. It
would be better for you to cut through the fog and simply
say just what this equipment happens to be. That would at
least prove that you indeed own gear that I have reviewed.

I've got a secret, and you'll never know. Nyaah nyaah nyaah.

You have made statements that you cannot back up. Perhaps
you should stick to delivering sophomoric insults. That way,
you will not again back yourself into a corner.

Addendum for Stupider (that's you, Arnii): The reason you believe what I have
is a "secret" is because you're retarded, or intermittently illiterate, or so
crazy you can't remember simple stuff from one day to the next. ;-)

Unlike so many others here, I do not recall just what
equipment you own, particularly the versions that I have
reviewed.

Enlighten me - and Arny, too.

You need enlightenment, Harold? From me, of all people? ;-)

I am cutting you some slack. I offered you a chance to back
up your claims.

OK, on this I can oblige you. You are a carbuncle and Krooger is a turd.
There, that should do it.

Now that's the George I remember. For a while there I
thought you might actually grow a backbone and offer up some
specifics to be critiqued. Fat chance of that.

P.S. You didn't ask for enlightenment of previously undisclosed knowledge.
If you had, I'd have revealed that you are a hack who wallows in mediocrity
and mendacity, who has zero ethics, and who is locked in an unbreakable
death dance with imaginary demons. As for Krooger, I'd have shared that he
is a pathological liar, that he is totally lacking in any degree of
self-awareness, and that he's altogether nuts. And if you doubt any of
these facts, I have documented, scientifically validated test results to
prove them.

But you cannot list the products you own that I have
reviewed. You are all wind and no sail, Middius.

Howard Ferstler
George M. Middius

Harold dusts off his blunderbuss and licks the war paint from his mace.

Poor Howard Ferstler said:

I've got a secret, and you'll never know. Nyaah nyaah nyaah.

You have made statements that you cannot back up.

Prove it!™ ;-)™

you should stick to delivering sophomoric insults. That way,
you will not again back yourself into a corner.

It's my corner, and you'll never get near it.

Enlighten me - and Arny, too.

You need enlightenment, Harold? From me, of all people? ;-)

I am cutting you some slack. I offered you a chance to back
up your claims.

In reality, Clerkie, no backup is needed. It's common knowledge. Ask around
-- you'll see what I mean. ;-)

OK, on this I can oblige you. You are a carbuncle and Krooger is a turd.
There, that should do it.

Now that's the George I remember. For a while there I
thought you might actually grow a backbone and offer up some
specifics to be critiqued. Fat chance of that.

You disagree? Others have called you a canker sore and Krooger a tumor. Are
those judgments closer to your own assessment?

P.S. You didn't ask for enlightenment of previously undisclosed knowledge.
If you had, I'd have revealed that you are a hack who wallows in mediocrity
and mendacity, who has zero ethics, and who is locked in an unbreakable
death dance with imaginary demons. As for Krooger, I'd have shared that he
is a pathological liar, that he is totally lacking in any degree of
self-awareness, and that he's altogether nuts. And if you doubt any of
these facts, I have documented, scientifically validated test results to
prove them.

But you cannot list the products you own that I have
reviewed.

Nyaah nyaah nyaah. Nyaah!

You are all wind and no sail, Middius.

You're talking about wind, Harold? Haw haw haw.

Clyde Slick

"George M. Middius" wrote in message

I've got a secret, and you'll never know. Nyaah nyaah nyaah.

A nice preemptive strike against any future haw, haw, haw.
However, been there, done that, is always trump.