reqluq

Default srm450 *progress*update

well folks the techie at florida electronics says there's nothing wrong with
the amp confirming the techie here...so it's on the way back(don't know why
it blew the black widow so soon though),but I have to order a new 12"..but I
bought a new srm450 in any event so now I have three,hope that's good hehe..

The funny thing is if I press down at a certain angle on the negative line
that goes into the basket on the black widow,I get continuity(doing it with
a plastic object I might add)and I was able to get a few responses from the
12" mackie..it's as if a wire is loose somewhere like a light bulb when it
blows,and u can turn it to get the filaments touching again(sometimes).any
diagrams online how these speakers are made up..the coil winding etc?..I'm
gonna take it apart to see what's going on in there..
thanks
req

Frank Vuotto

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:39:51 -0500, "reqluq"
wrote:

The funny thing is if I press down at a certain angle on the negative line
that goes into the basket on the black widow,I get continuity(doing it with
a plastic object I might add)and I was able to get a few responses from the
12" mackie..it's as if a wire is loose somewhere like a light bulb when it
blows,and u can turn it to get the filaments touching again(sometimes).any
diagrams online how these speakers are made up..the coil winding etc?..I'm
gonna take it apart to see what's going on in there..

Don't take it apart too far or you'll ruin it. You don't need to see
the coil winding, there's nothing you can do to the coil anyhow.

Find where the open circuit is on the cone, jumper it and cover it
with some silicone seal.

Frank /~ http://newmex.com/f10
@/

Scott Dorsey

reqluq wrote:
well folks the techie at florida electronics says there's nothing wrong with
the amp confirming the techie here...so it's on the way back(don't know why
it blew the black widow so soon though),but I have to order a new 12"..but I
bought a new srm450 in any event so now I have three,hope that's good hehe..

I thought you measured 12V quiescent across the driver?

The funny thing is if I press down at a certain angle on the negative line
that goes into the basket on the black widow,I get continuity(doing it with
a plastic object I might add)and I was able to get a few responses from the
12" mackie..it's as if a wire is loose somewhere like a light bulb when it
blows,and u can turn it to get the filaments touching again(sometimes).any
diagrams online how these speakers are made up..the coil winding etc?..I'm
gonna take it apart to see what's going on in there..

Usually the way those fail is because the coil overheats and melts through
somewhere. Sometimes the spiders get screwed up and the coil gets scraped
and damaged that way, though. Occasionally the tinsel wires go bad.
George Gleason

Sometimes the spiders get screwed up and the coil gets scraped
and damaged that way, though.

this is the MOST common fail in PV drivers, not spiders screwing up but
rather magnet shifts
being feild replacable means the magnet is much looser fit than what one
would get with a clean room assembly
a light bump will shift a PV magnet when I have dropped RCF's(event
1018's) 4 feet from the back of a truck and was pleasantly surprised
they lived
George
reqluq

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
reqluq wrote:
well folks the techie at florida electronics says there's nothing wrong
with
the amp confirming the techie here...so it's on the way back(don't know
why
it blew the black widow so soon though),but I have to order a new 12"..but
bought a new srm450 in any event so now I have three,hope that's good
hehe..

I thought you measured 12V quiescent across the driver?

I could have sworn that's what I saw..fluctuating between 13 and 16 vdc..but
seems I must have misread,because all I can see now is 0.17 vdc..but the
other one has 0 reading..I am still wary of the amp though