Kurt Ballou

Default FS / FA Studer, Lucid, Bellari, Valley, Mesa

FOR SALE: 3/9/04
See http://members.aol.com/godcity/sale.htm for descriptions with
pictures.
Here's some stuff I'm selling. I'm willing to trade for high end or
esoteric mics and outboard gear. Let me know what you've got. Please
direct any questions to or by calling Kurt at
617-970-3808 between 11 and 11 EST. I take postal money orders and
paypal, or cash if you want to come up to Salem, MA and pick something
up.

Lucid ADA8824
Eight channel A/D, D/A converter with spdif, AES, and Adat Lightpipe
in excellent condition with only minor rack rash. Specs are at
http://www.lucidaudio.com/products/p..._ADAT_info.htm. I used
this along side a Digi001 to get 16 channels of I/O. Using the ADA8824
along with a SMPTE reader that generates word clock and has machine
control, like a MOTU Midi Timepiece, there's also a way to cheat
Digi001 into vari-speeding Protools LE to sync up with an analog tape
machine. Also, with the included software, you can control the sample
rate, meters, and analog input/output gain, etc from your computer.
$1850 shipped.

Valley Maxi-Q rack
Powered 3-space rack with four parametric eq modules. They look great
and sound great. Excellent for clinical eq'ing. They also have a
feature called "tune" which allows you to solo individual eq bands, so
you can isolate the frequencies you are working with. This feature can
also be used for special filter effects. Connections are via barrier
strip. $450 obo. That's $112.50 per module, folks. Add $20 for
shipping.

Bellari RP-583 compressor
Hot-rodded with Burr-Brown op-amps and American NOS Phillips tubes.
The upgrade sounds great. It's thicker and smoother than stock. A
little known fact about Bellari… If you own a RP 282 compressor, you
can send it in and they will upgrade it to a 583 for you. They charge
$100 for the upgrade and another $100 for a faceplate that actually
says RP-583. So needless to say, this 583 still says 282 on the front.
Bellari also forgot to screw the top back on, so it's taped in place.
$250 obo plus $20 shipping.

Mesa rack-mount Dual Rectifier
I bought this new in '96 or '97. It's been on some tours but still
looks good. It was completely checked out, re-power tubed with Sovtek
6L6's and tuned up by a tech last week (I can provide receipts if you
like). People say that rack mount Rectifiers sound better than the
heads because they were made to tighter tolerances due to size
constraints and since the production runs were much smaller. I don't
know about that, but I own a recording studio and people bring in
rectifiers all the time, so I've had a chance to hear a lot of them,
and this is definitely one of the better ones. I'm going to say it's
probably the second or third best one I've heard out of probably 25.
Shipping is $45 flat. This is an ebay auction.
Everything else on this page is a straight sale.

Studer A80 2" 24 track
I'm selling my Studer A80 wide body 2" 24 track machine with MKII
electronics and MKIII head stack. (This is the tight head stack for
gapless punch ins. Punch-outs are not gapless.) I was in the midst of
slowly refurbishing it when a great deal on an Otari MTR100 (Otari's
answer to the Studer 820) came along, so the Studer's got to go. The
makings of a great machine are here, but there are still some issues
to work out. Here's the deal:

Cosmetically, it's good. It's 30-ish years old, so there are a few
dings and scratches, but overall it looks fine.
There's about 19k hrs on it.
Heads are at about 30%, which isn't too bad for Studer heads. These
were just lapped (sync by EMC, repro by JRF) and mounted by Precision
Motor Works. I have the JRF head report available. There's about 10
hrs on them since the lap.
The motors have recently been replaced with rebuilt motors out of a ¼"
machine (all A80's use the same motors).
The capstan motor has recently been rebuilt and the surface bead
blasted for improved grab.
There is a fairly new Athan pinch roller.
The tension arms have been rebuilt with MKIII components.
The transport is running very nice.
All of the electrolytic caps on the audio cards have been replaced,
and some of the electrolytics internal to the I/O modules have been
replaced. I'm including all of the electrolytic caps needed to finish
the I/O modules.
There is a remote, autolocator, locator stand, and all necessary
cables to interface with the tape deck.
X-edit editing block.
Full manuals for tape machine and locator.

Spares:
1 set of unmounted heads that are not in great shape, but useable.
Edge tracks are bad, particularly on the sync head.
2 power supplies from a MKIII machine.
A80 ¼" carcass (please, you must haul it away).
A spare for almost every transport card
3 I/O modules (although 2 are play back only).
A few spare record and play cards.
1 Autolocator panel. (Supposedly it has problems, but it's good for
parts)
1 15/30 ips capstan for ¼". If need be, it can be extended to 2".
1 reel motor, not rebuilt.
Misc. transport related parts.
Misc. buttons and sheet metal parts.
EPROMS for Autolocator.
Tabletop boxes for locator and remote.
As mentioned above, spare electrolytics needed to recap the remaining
I/O modules.

Known problems:
The machine's transport runs nice, and it sets up and aligns well in
play back. I've been mixing records from it with great success.
However, when I go to record, I encounter problems on about a third of
the tracks. Some tracks don't record at all, some hum, and some can't
be aligned properly. I'm able to fix some of the problems by moving
cards around, but not all of them. There's probably a grounding
problem, some bad relays, some bad pots, and some bad record cards. I
don't have a working scope or the time to track down the bad
components.
Also, the locator is flaky. I've rebuilt all of it except the power
supply. My tech will come in and "tune the power supply" periodically
and it will work fine, but after a while it starts spitting out
hieroglyphics and the transport freezes. Fortunately, I can just turn
off the locator and roll my chair an extra 2 feet and operate the
transport from the deck. It would be nice if it worked right though,
wouldn't it?
One other thing, as I mentioned earlier, this thing has motors from a
¼" machine. The motors are identical to 2" machines, but the motor
mounts are not. The ¼" machine these motors came from had a weirdo
preview head assembly which may have contributed to the motors being
mounted differently. At any rate, the motors are mounted about a ¼"
further back on the machine, which means 2 things. 1.) The deck cannot
be tipped up for service with 10.5" or 14" reels on the motors. I do
have some smaller reels if this should ever be a problem. 2) The top
plate had to be replaced with the ¼" machine's top plate. I still have
the original top plate, but the holes are about ¼" off center. The
current top plate, being from a preview head machine, is cut
differently and doesn't completely cover the top. Some of the deck's
innards are visible right behind the head block. No big deal. Maybe
you care. I never did.

Anyway, I just don't have any time to mess with it anymore, so my loss
is your gain. It can be viewed and/or picked up at my studio in Salem,
MA. I'm not interested in shipping it. I've got a lot of money into
this thing, but I'm willing to take $2500 obo. No low ballers, please.
Willing to trade for high-end mics, pre's, comps, and eq's.

Sorry for writing a novel. I just know that when buying a piece of
gear, it's important get as much information about it as possible.
Kurt Ballou

the bellari has been sold