Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Teenagers going deaf 30yrs earlier than theri parents

"I. Care" wrote in message
.net...
The UK Online News "Times Online" (www.timesonline.co.uk) has reported a
study by an organization called Deafness Research UK that suggests young
people who constantly listen to personal stereos through headphones are
permanently damaging their hearing much sooner than their parents did.

http://tinyurl.com/j3k4n

I. Care

I saw Motorhead when I was about 19 once and it was so loud my ears were
ringing and I couldn't hear much above about 800Hz for 3 days afterwards -
I was getting seriously worried, even for a 19 year old - couldn't
understand anything anyone was saying to me. I doubt you would get this
kind of dangerous SPL live now, or at least I would hope not. Stupid,
stupid.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:
"I. Care" wrote in message
.net...
The UK Online News "Times Online" (www.timesonline.co.uk) has reported a
study by an organization called Deafness Research UK that suggests young
people who constantly listen to personal stereos through headphones are
permanently damaging their hearing much sooner than their parents did.

http://tinyurl.com/j3k4n

I. Care

I saw Motorhead when I was about 19 once and it was so loud my ears were
ringing and I couldn't hear much above about 800Hz for 3 days afterwards -
I was getting seriously worried, even for a 19 year old - couldn't
understand anything anyone was saying to me. I doubt you would get this
kind of dangerous SPL live now, or at least I would hope not. Stupid,
stupid.

Yes. And so am I. I had a similar experience after seeing Bachman
Turner Overdrive in Palo Alto, CA back in the 80's. I felt like
I had earmufs over my ears for at least 2 days. I would conservatively
estimate the sound at 130 dB SPL (unweighted), and my ears were
fairly calibrated since I had a Radio Shack SPL meter at home
with my Klipschorns back in those days.

--RY