Bose 901 Review

Old February 6th 04, 12:30 AM
William Sommerwerck

Default Bose 901 Review

> Had it not been for Dr. Amar Bose and this speaker, who would
> have caused so many speaker designers to even give stereo
> imaging the slightest consideration!????

The one thing the Bose 901s do NOT do is "image" what is on the recording. They
create their own ersatz soundstage.

> When the salesman put on an album by a band called Chase,
> the 901's that were suspended from the ceiling immediately
> shook the room and the clarity was awesome! Stereo everywhere
> yet I could distinctly identify each trumpet, guitar, percussion and
> voices with better separation than I had ever experienced!

The fact is that the 901s are distinctly LACKING in detail and clarity.

I bought 901s (and the necessary amp, tuner, 'table, etc.) in 1973. They
replaced a KLH Model 11 FM, which used similar 4" full-range drivers. When I put
on a familiar recording, I was startled to discover that the 901 did not provide
ANY improvement in detail, clarity, etc, over the KLH. And even in 1973, the KLH
Model 11 was NOT considered true "high fidelity."

About a year later, I sold the 901s and replaced them with Dahlquist DQ-10s, a
speaker which sounded far more like "live sound" than the 901s. (My current
speakers are Apogee Divas.)

> Thus the reason for the model #...9 drivers total with 1 in front. The
> design is appropriately designated as direct/reflecting with 89% of the
> sound projected from the rear and the remaining 11% coming out of the
> front. This proportion was the finding of Dr. Bose's MIT team when
> studying various halls where LIVE PERFORMANCES were featured.

A small recital hall does not have the same ratio of direct-to-reflected sound
as a concert hall, which in turn is different from a cathedral. And the ratio
varies within a particular venue, as well. Even assuming one would want to
superimpose artificial ambience on a recording, there is no single "correct"
ratio.

The reason the 901s sound so spacious is that they generate comb-filter effects,
of the same sort that once were used to convert mono recordings into fake
stereo.

> Because of the use of small full-range drivers, an active equalizer
> which is absolutely essential to the system is used in place of the
> normal CROSSOVERS that introduce distortion no matter how well
> engineered. The 901 EQ simply smooths out any bumps or
> irregularities in the system's power response.

What sort of distortion? Even picky audiophiles do not feel that a properly
engineered crossover significantly degrades the sound.

In fact, one of the arguments against the use of full-range dynamic drivers is
that you get far more IM distortion than when using drivers specifically
designed for a specific part of the sound spectrum. Using separte woofers,
midranges, tweeters, etc, REDUCES system distortion.

> THE 901 IS NOT FOR EVERYONE.

Correct. It's only for people who don't know what live sound sounds like.

> The speaker has an uncanny ability to reveal eveything!

You've obviously never heard electrostatic or ribbon/orthodynamic speakers.

> But don't just take my word for it... listen for yourself! You may
> or may not agree. That is how controversial this speaker is!

There is nothing controversial about the 901. Everything about its design is
both theoretically and practically incorrect.

> This silliness began in 1971 when J Gordon Holt gave the original Bose
> 901 a somewhat negative review. He did however bring up some good
> points but was off the mark on the 901's sounding "fat" in the bass as
> they are anything but that! However, the battle lines were drawn. This review
> sparked the "Love/Hate" of the Bose 901 speaker system and you can link
> to the entire review from my profile page. Just so you have an idea of where
> Mr. Holt is at...he loves the sound of the B&W 801. I thought that this was
> rather ironic as this model [although great] has been tagged by myself
> and others as a bit overwhelming and "fat sounding" in the bass
> frequencies...again...room acoustics like it or not will affect various
> speaker models more than we sometimes are willing to admit!

JGH has been a friend for over 25 years. His review was the only one in the
audio magazines that showed any sense in analyzing the design and sound of the
901s. 30 years later, it remains a fundamentally correct analysis.

The Bose 901s were designed by an ignorant, deluded, incompetent engineer. His
company has done absolutely nothing to advance the art of sound reproduction.
(In fairness, the same could be said about most other audio companies.) It's a
shame you've aligned yourself with them for so many years, because, never having
heard A REALLY GOOD SPEAKER, you simply don't know what you're missing.

I'm a degreed EE and have made many live recordings of full orchestra, chamber
music, etc. If the Bose 901s accurately reproduced what was on the recording
better than any other speaker, I would own them. They don't, and I don't.

Old February 6th 04, 12:40 AM
Phil Allison

"William Sommerwerck"

(snip lots of good stuff)

> The Bose 901s were designed by an ignorant, deluded, incompetent engineer.

His
> company has done absolutely nothing to advance the art of sound

reproduction.

** Well said Bill.

Bose is not a brand of speaker - it is a religious cult.

........... Phil

Old February 6th 04, 12:41 AM
Geoff Wood

Peter Sammon wrote:
> http://www.epinions.com/content_105506836100
>
> In 1968, I took an old Philco record player and turned it into my
> first hifi record player by installing a Shure M3D stereo magnetic

Which planet are you from. Or which universe more like it.

Nice try, Amar, but we still don't belive that the 901 is anything but a
gimmick, and a crappy-ounding one at that. ....

Old February 6th 04, 12:52 AM
Rob Adelman

William Sommerwerck wrote:

> The one thing the Bose 901s do NOT do is "image" what is on the recording. They
> create their own ersatz soundstage.

There was once a really great club in Mpls called Boyds On The River. At
the time it was my favorite hangout. They had 901's all over the place.
Usually playing the live band so you could hear them clearly anywhere in
the club.

I always thought they sounded pretty good. Oh, wait a minute, I was
really drunk at the time... <g>

Old February 6th 04, 12:56 AM
Mark

Ah back in the day (pre-digital) I was a regular attendee at the
Chicago CES roaming the halls of the Congress listening to demos of
the best that high end had to offer. One year Bose dared to exhibit
there rather than the usual lo & mid-fi exhibit areas. Honestly the
worse sounding demo I ever experienced. The sales staff stood there
just beaming at what they apparently perceived as a convincing demo.
The audiophiles just looked at each other in mock horror. The
laughter & snickering continued all up & down the exhibit floor.

I retreated to a demo of some Beveridge electrostatics to get my ears
"straight" so I could continue the show.

Just sign me--
An objective audiophile who owns nothing of any worth
and therefore doesn't need to justify my purchase
of 2 plastic boxes full of car audio-grade door speakers.
Bose? Stereo imaging? Get real!

Old February 6th 04, 01:16 AM
Eric K. Weber

I attended lecture by Mr. Bose in 1975, he was proud of the fact that he
used
cheap drivers.... claimed that their defects averaged out.

When asked about phase cancellation (comb filtering) he changed the subject.

You have to give Bose credit his marketing skills are excellent...

Phil... if it is a religious cult, it would be a Hindu cult....

Rgds:
Eric

Old February 6th 04, 01:20 AM
Phil Allison

"Eric K. Weber" >

> I attended lecture by Mr. Bose in 1975, he was proud of the fact that he
> used cheap drivers.... claimed that their defects averaged out.

** Nah - they sum to make bigger defects.

> When asked about phase cancellation (comb filtering) he changed the

subject.

** That's because it is the secret of the Bose 901's "sound".

> You have to give Bose credit his marketing skills are excellent...

** Bose's marketing is only one tiny step removed from fraud.

> Phil... if it is a religious cult, it would be a Hindu cult....

** More like Scientology - ie find gullible fools, suck their brains
out then make them your slaves forever.

............. Phil

Old February 6th 04, 01:29 AM
Stephen Sank

The ONLY reason that Amar put the single driver on the front of the 901 was to escape
prosecution for patent infringement by the guy he stole the reflecting sound idea from, Dan
Greenfield of Danby Radio in Philadelphia. As Dan would recite at the slightest hint of the
subject of Bose by a customer in his store, Amar walked in one day in the mid '60's to peddle
his quarter-sphere multidriver corner-box speaker, finding only Dan's wife in the store at the
time. Mrs. Greenfield, after hearing Bose's junk, said "I don't think your speakers sound
nearly as good as my husband's." She then played a set of Dan's reflecting speakers. Bose
immediately dropped his sales pitch & listened for a while, reputedly taking some notes.
Within a few months, he started marketing the 901. Shortly thereafter, Dan received a letter
from Amar's lawyer, stating that it was felt that the added front driver made the design
different enough to "escape Mr. Greenfield's patent umbrella". So, besides making some of the
worst speakers in history, Amar Bose is also a complete slimeball.

--
Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
Talking Dog Transducer Company

Old February 6th 04, 02:53 AM
New Account

No Highs, No Lows, must be Bose has remained true
since 1968. No imaging either. Great to demonstrate
doppler effect though.

Bose did keep after Consumer Reports in the courts all
the way to the Supreme Court for 14 years a bad review.

For some reason they did not go after J. Gordon Holt for
his not so flattering review in Stereophile.

http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/425/

Old February 6th 04, 03:42 AM
Arny Krueger

"Peter Sammon" > wrote in message

> The small drivers themselves boast heavy magnets and high quality
> voice coils as they must move an enormous amount of air.

Myth number one: A reasonable number of small drivers can move as much air
as a single large one, all other things being equal.

The hidden agenda is linear stroke.

Let's compare a 4" driver and an 8" driver. How many 4" drivers does it take
to move as much air as an 8" driver?

The naive answer is 4, presuming that cone area is proportional to diameter,
squared. True for theoretical geometry, not true for speakers.

Speakers have flexible surrounds and a fraction of the area of the surround
must be deducted from the area of the cone. However, the width of the
surround is not proportional to the diameter of the speaker, but rather is
dependent on the designer's goals for maximum linear stroke. IOW an 8"
speaker with a certain linear stroke will have a surround that is a certain
width. If the 4" speaker has the same linear stroke, then its surround will
have to be the same width. However, since the diameter of the smaller
speaker is quite a bit smaller, the surround takes up a greater proportion
of the diameter of the speaker. IOW, the area of the actual moving part of
the smaller cone is even less than proportionately smaller.

For small speakers, it may take 5 4" speakers to have the same moving cone
area as an 8" speaker due to the loss of effective moving diaphragm area
because of the width of the surround.

Secondly, smaller speakers, all other things being equal, don't have the
same linear stroke as larger speakers. Speakers tend to scale in all
dimensions. Not only is a 4" speaker half the diameter of an 8" speaker, but
it will have half the linear stroke, all other things being equal.

In short, it might take as many as 10 4" speakers to have the air-moving
capacity of a single 8" speaker, all other things being equal.

>The multi
> chambered ACOUSTIC MATRIX enclosure vents the speaker in a most
> unusual way with air
> speeds exceeding 60 mph! Three ports or jets protrude through the
> rear of the 901 enclosure.

Knowledgeable speaker designers know that high air velocity in ports is
anathema. High air velocities lead to higher turbulence, and turbulent flow
tends to be noisy flow. One sign of a quality ported speaker is a large,
low-velocity port.

> Because of the use of small full range drivers, an active equalizer
> which is absolutely essential to the system is used in place of the
> normal CROSSOVERS that introduce distortion no matter how well
> engineered. The 901 EQ simply smooths out any bumps or irregularities in

the system's
> power response.

Plan B: build a system that is essentially acoustically flat. Not mission
impossible in this day and age.

Now for the seriously damning facts about the Bose 901. When the 901 was
built, not that much was generally known about optimizing the performance of
arrays of small drivers. It turns out that arrays of small drivers can be a
real can of worms, if smooth, well-balanced frequency response is desired.
I'm quite sure that if Bose were to design the 901 today with a clean piece
of paper, they'd do it quite a bit differently.

Probably the most serious problem with designs based on ad-hoc collections
of identical small drivers is that they can have very rough frequency
response (lobing and comb-filter effects) when you move slightly off-axis,
and they can also have frequency response that is a strong function of
distance from the speaker to the listener. There are ways to manage these
problems with generally involve putting the drivers on curved baffles,
and/or adjusting the level and/or frequency response of the drive to the
various drivers. However, the classic Bose 901 design really does neither of
these things well.

Here's an AES paper that points out these problems and potential solutions
in some detail:

Author(s): Keele, Jr., D. B.
Publication: JAES Volume 38 Number 10 pp. 723748; October 1990
Abstract: The Bessel array is a configuration of five, seven, or nine
identical loudspeakers in an equal-spaced line array that provides the same
overall polar pattern as a single loudspeaker of the array

One important point is that the no way is the Bose 901 a Bessel array.
A second important point is that of all the Bessel arrays analyzed, 5
drivers in a row was found to be the only one that was recommended.