Loud buzz on Sherwood S 5000

Old March 10th 13, 03:59 PM
Ray Smith Ray Smith is offline
Junior Member

Default Loud buzz on Sherwood S 5000

When I disconnected the 33 ohm resistor ( it tests good at 32.9 ohms) between the 5AR4 rectifier and the 20 mfd multi section electrolytic cap the buzzing stopped but if I connect it again it buzzes..the buzz has nothing to do with the volume setting..it is loud..

any ideas?
Old March 10th 13, 10:21 PM posted to rec.audio.tech
Dick Pierce[_2_]

Ray Smith wrote:
> When I disconnected the 33 ohm resistor ( it tests good at 32.9 ohms)
> between the 5AR4 rectifier and the 20 mfd multi section electrolytic cap
> the buzzing stopped but if I connect it again it buzzes..the buzz has
> nothing to do with the volume setting..it is loud..
>
> any ideas?

Yes, the electrolytic is bad. Something that old, it'd be a
total shock if any of the electrolytics was anywhere near
their original functional values.

DIsconnecting the resistor between the rectifier and the
electrolytic and having the hum disappear would certainly
be consistent with bad electrolytics: you disconnect the
resistor, you now have nothing flowing to the rest of the
the amp. Reconnect it, and you have unfiltered 120 Hz hum.

--
+ Dick Pierce |