Anything to say on Speakons

Old July 25th 20, 03:19 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_5_]

Default Anything to say on Speakons

Trevor wrote:
> On 23/07/2020 11:20 am, Les Cargill wrote:
>> geoff wrote:

>>> I though the qualification 'panel' implied parallel connectors
>>> mounted on a panel (or chassis, or whatever), in which case a doddle
>>> for any connector.

>> It did.
>> For some reason, every MI grade PA or bass guitar box ever made had
>> two 1/4" jacks to enable daisy-chaining. I can think of no examples
>> with Speakon, probably because of panel real estate.

> You are kidding right?

No, not at all.

> All my PA speaker boxes have Speakon in and out.

That's good.

> Most have for a couple of decades. Last century it wasn't so common I
> guess.

Something like that. This was prior to 2012 or so. Stuff I've seen
since was powered.

We're not talking about nice PA here - bar band stuff. But it was
annoying for a while. A lot of these were size-constrained ( and cost
constrained ) so thah would be my guess why they left 'em off.

> I did have to convert a very old speaker that had XLR's and phone
> sockets only. But that was 80's vintage!

I've never seen XLR for speakers.

--
Les Cargill
Old July 25th 20, 05:11 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

Les Cargill Lunatic Troll wrote:
=================================

> > You are kidding right?

> No, not at all.
>
> > All my PA speaker boxes have Speakon in and out.

> That's good.
>
> > Most have for a couple of decades. Last century it wasn't so common I
> > guess.

> Something like that. This was prior to 2012 or so. Stuff I've seen
> since was powered.
>
> We're not talking about nice PA here - bar band stuff.

** Who is "we" - fuchead.

You are not "we" - cos we are.

The context was hif- & PA systems till you posted you asinine troll.

**** off and Die

..... Phil

Old July 25th 20, 03:30 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel

I have seen xlr for speakers. Vox used 3 pin xlr for speakers with pins 1 and 2 wired.Ampeg used a 4 pin xlr on the SVT and other amplifiers. Speaker signal was pins 1&4 pins 2&3 were shorted in the cabinet jack and the B+ was routed through the cable to the speaker jack. This prevented the amp from destroying the output transformer from burning up without speaker termination. When the plug was inserted into the speaker jack, the B+ was fed back to the amp.
Old July 25th 20, 05:02 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Ralph Barone[_3_]

Richard Kuschel > wrote:
> I have seen xlr for speakers. Vox used 3 pin xlr for speakers with pins 1
> and 2 wired.Ampeg used a 4 pin xlr on the SVT and other amplifiers.
> Speaker signal was pins 1&4 pins 2&3 were shorted in the cabinet jack and
> the B+ was routed through the cable to the speaker jack. This prevented
> the amp from destroying the output transformer from burning up without
> speaker termination. When the plug was inserted into the speaker jack,
> the B+ was fed back to the amp.

I can see what they were trying to do, but I can’t imagine a more dangerous
way to achieve that than sending B+ through a speaker cable.

Old July 25th 20, 11:48 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Les Cargill[_5_]

Phil Allison wrote:
> Les Cargill Lunatic Troll wrote:
> =================================
>

>>> You are kidding right?

>> No, not at all.
>>
>>> All my PA speaker boxes have Speakon in and out.

>> That's good.
>>
>>> Most have for a couple of decades. Last century it wasn't so common I
>>> guess.

>> Something like that. This was prior to 2012 or so. Stuff I've seen
>> since was powered.
>>
>> We're not talking about nice PA here - bar band stuff.
>>

> ** Who is "we" - fuchead.
>
> You are not "we" - cos we are.

I am using a language called "English". Perhaps you've hear of it?

In English a common phrase is "we're not talking about" when it really
means "I'm not talking about".

Most people grasp this.

Hope this helps.

--
Les Cargill
Old July 26th 20, 03:39 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

Les Cargill Lunatic ****wit Troll wrote:

==================================
> Phil Allison wrote:
> > Les Cargill Lunatic Troll wrote:
> > =================================

> >> No, not at all.

> >> That's good.

> >> Something like that. This was prior to 2012 or so. Stuff I've seen
> >> since was powered.
> >>
> >> We're not talking about nice PA here - bar band stuff.
> >>

> > ** Who is "we" - fuchead.
> >
> > You are not "we" - cos we are.
> >

> I am using a language called "English".

** ROTFL

> In English a common phrase is "we're not talking about" when it really
> means "I'm not talking about".

** Using "we" to refer to oneself is know as the "Royal Plural".

Only used by kings, queens and a few pompous idiots.

> Most people grasp this.

** No they don't.

It's complete bull****.

..... Phil