Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Beta 57/58 vs SM 57/58 and mics generally

jakdedert wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
jakdedert wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Laurence Payne wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

I once took over a mix where almost literally ALL the frequencies had been cut
to the max by the house engineer !
I've seen systems where the main eq has been "locked down" by someone
who thought gbf was the only criterion, then every channel on board
eq/d in an exact opposite when someone with ears tried to get the mics
sounding good again.
LMFAO !

The less EQ the better IME and IMHO. It just sounds so natural in comparison. Oh,
memories. I even recall one late 70's rock band (can't remember the name now though
but the gig was at Hemel Hempstead Pavilion) we did who were so impressed they
insisted the entire crew join them in their dressing room for drinkies. They said
quite literally "we've never heard a sound that good before" !
Was that before or after the trucks were loaded....?

WHAT KIND OF *MORON* ARE YOU ?

It was a joke, Graham.....

Hello ?

Uh ? Oh OK. I didn't get it. Apologies. :-)

I can't remember for sure, but before IIRC.. Mind you, back then it wasn't trucks plural

Graham

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Eric B wrote:
PS. In my experience no AKG mics, regardless, are flat. Some models,
especially their condensers, sound really... 'nice'. The C 451 is
cool, there is a vocal mic version C535, that is killer.

The C451 (old and new) is a totally different capsule to C535.

Maybe you are defficient in the treble department, or simply mentally
normalised to over-bright ?

geoff

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Joe Kotroczo wrote:

Now this is really confusing, because AFAIK the CK31 capsule is a
capsule for the AKG GN series goosenecks... And looks nothing like a
C535.

Yep, that's cos I got confuced and called the CE31 a CK31 !

geoff

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Joe Kotroczo wrote:

The old C451 had changeable capsules, and there was a vocal capsule, the
CK5, which looks like there might be a link to the C535... I haven't held
one in my hands yet, so I'm not sure.

It's not really much like the C535, but it has some similar baffling to
prevent popping. It's actually not a bad vocal mike although it was never
really very popular.

The new C451 has the CK1 capsule (supposedly), but I think it's not
changeable anymore.

It's not the same capsule.. the geometry is roughly the same, but they
are using an electret now which requires the backplate shape to be
different. Also, the way the diaphragm is mounted has been changed as
well, so it could be made on the automated tensioning system AKG uses.

For the most part I would consider these changes to be improvements, but
not everyone will see them as such.