apa

Default How warm's a transformer?

After some nasty zaps from an old Ampeg Gemini, I picked up a couple
of Stancor GIS-500 isolation transformers to have keep around the
studio. They get pretty warm when I'm using 'em. Never so they can't
be touched comfortably, but enough to keep take-out from going stone
cold. How hot's proper for these things?
RCGRND

Get the Gemini fixed and trace down how you got the shock. Have a 3-wire line
cord correctly installed.

Power transformers are normally, when built by intelligent, reputable
companies, either gonna have a 104 degree C (thionk boiling water) or 140
degree C insulation system that must not fail when they are operated at their
design ratings. If you can comfortably keep your hand on them you have lots of
safety margin.

But get that Gemini, or what ever else was involved correctly repaired. If the
Gemini has a 2 wire line cord as was common, have that replaced with a 3 wire
cord. Chances are if it is a 2 wire, what you got was a small shock from the
line bypass capacitor because the line cord was wrong way in the outlet or, if
the amplifier has a ground reversal switch, that switch wasw in the wrong
position.

regards

apa

RCGRND wrote:
Get the Gemini fixed and trace down how you got the shock. Have a 3-wire line
cord correctly installed.

Power transformers are normally, when built by intelligent, reputable
companies, either gonna have a 104 degree C (thionk boiling water) or 140
degree C insulation system that must not fail when they are operated at their
design ratings. If you can comfortably keep your hand on them you have lots of safety margin.

But get that Gemini, or what ever else was involved correctly repaired. If the
Gemini has a 2 wire line cord as was common, have that replaced with a 3 wire
cord. Chances are if it is a 2 wire, what you got was a small shock from the
line bypass capacitor because the line cord was wrong way in the outlet or, if
the amplifier has a ground reversal switch, that switch wasw in the wrong
position.

It was definitely the Gemini. Apparently it's done it's share of
shocking in the past as well. I would certainly get it overhauled if
it were mine, but it's just visiting. Thanks for the info.

Scott Dorsey

apa wrote:
I could. You mean to see if I'm exceeding it's rated current? Maybe
I've got this wrong, but the transformer's rated at over 4 amps, so
wouldn't the amplifier's fuse would blow well before that? Or do you
mean measuring on the primary side for current that somehow isn't
making it to the secondary? Ben, above, seemed to imply that some heat
was normal, which is sort of what I expected.

If it's fused, and it's not blowing the fuse, and you can hold your hand
on the case for a count of five seconds without jerking back in pain, don't
worry.

Scott Dorsey

apa wrote:
I could. You mean to see if I'm exceeding it's rated current? Maybe
I've got this wrong, but the transformer's rated at over 4 amps, so
wouldn't the amplifier's fuse would blow well before that? Or do you
mean measuring on the primary side for current that somehow isn't
making it to the secondary? Ben, above, seemed to imply that some heat
was normal, which is sort of what I expected.

If it's fused, and it's not blowing the fuse, and you can hold your hand
on the case for a count of five seconds without jerking back in pain, don't
worry.

Step up transformer Wolverine High End Audio 2 March 9th 04 06:09 PM
Parasound P/LD 1500 transformer question Wolfgang Smetanig Pro Audio 2 March 7th 04 11:35 AM
1.5 kva transformer Dave Ryman Tech 81 December 15th 03 09:45 AM
Building a circuit with no power transformer ? James Nash Pro Audio 17 October 23rd 03 05:15 PM
Hum from the transformer in power supply [email protected] Tech 12 September 27th 03 12:17 AM