Posted to rec.audio.pro
PenaL PenaL is offline

Default How to get the Audacity-editor work with different audio-formats?

My friend has got the laptop -PC with Win 7. Hi tries to edit some
audio-tracks using free Audacity -editor. Problem seems to be, the
Audacity doesn't accept for instance, the Windows' own WMA, or MP3
-audio formats. Only the unpacked format, what the Audacity will record
itself, can work. So, the all the "odd" formats should have to convert
to suitable form for Audacity-editor. How this will happen? For that,
first will need suitable convert-software, I think. But, from where my
friend will get it, because the software should have to be very easy to
handle, and cheap ( = read: free... )

thanks for the answers..

-Pentti
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 12/30/2010 4:37 AM, PenaL wrote:
My friend has got the laptop -PC with Win 7. Hi tries to
edit some audio-tracks using free Audacity -editor. Problem
seems to be, the Audacity doesn't accept for instance, the
Windows' own WMA, or MP3 -audio formats.

I don't know about WMA, but Audacity will open an MP3. I
wasn't sure I remembered that correctly, so I just tried it.
It converts the MP3 to what it wants as it's loading. After
editing, you can export it as an MP3 file.

I believe that in order to use MP3 with Audacity, I had to
separately download the LAME MP3 codec and tell Audacity
where to find it. There may be a similar add-on codec for
WMA. See:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help...all&i=lame-mp3

for instructions on setting Audacity up to handle MP3 files

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

PenaL wrote:
My friend has got the laptop -PC with Win 7. Hi tries to edit some
audio-tracks using free Audacity -editor. Problem seems to be, the
Audacity doesn't accept for instance, the Windows' own WMA, or MP3
-audio formats. Only the unpacked format, what the Audacity will record
itself, can work. So, the all the "odd" formats should have to convert
to suitable form for Audacity-editor. How this will happen? For that,
first will need suitable convert-software, I think. But, from where my
friend will get it, because the software should have to be very easy to
handle, and cheap ( = read: free... )

Sure it will. You want "import from .wav" or "import from mp3" on the
pulldown file menu.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PenaL PenaL is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
PenaL wrote:
My friend has got the laptop -PC with Win 7. Hi tries to edit some
audio-tracks using free Audacity -editor. Problem seems to be, the
Audacity doesn't accept for instance, the Windows' own WMA, or MP3
-audio formats. Only the unpacked format, what the Audacity will record
itself, can work. So, the all the "odd" formats should have to convert
to suitable form for Audacity-editor. How this will happen? For that,
first will need suitable convert-software, I think. But, from where my
friend will get it, because the software should have to be very easy to
handle, and cheap ( = read: free... )

Sure it will. You want "import from .wav" or "import from mp3" on the
pulldown file menu.
--scott

I tried. The sound file will move to white noise or something like that,
or Audacity simply denied to move the sound-file. Something still wrong...

-Pentti
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
PenaL wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
PenaL wrote:
My friend has got the laptop -PC with Win 7. Hi tries to edit some
audio-tracks using free Audacity -editor. Problem seems to be, the
Audacity doesn't accept for instance, the Windows' own WMA, or MP3
-audio formats. Only the unpacked format, what the Audacity will record
itself, can work. So, the all the "odd" formats should have to convert
to suitable form for Audacity-editor. How this will happen? For that,
first will need suitable convert-software, I think. But, from where my
friend will get it, because the software should have to be very easy to
handle, and cheap ( = read: free... )

Sure it will. You want "import from .wav" or "import from mp3" on the
pulldown file menu.

I tried. The sound file will move to white noise or something like that,
or Audacity simply denied to move the sound-file. Something still wrong...

Dunno, do you have an Audacity build that is known to work for Win7, and
have you asked on the developer's mailing list? Win7 is different, and
that may have something to do with your issue.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"PenaL" wrote in message

My friend has got the laptop -PC with Win 7. Hi tries to
edit some audio-tracks using free Audacity -editor.
Problem seems to be, the Audacity doesn't accept for
instance, the Windows' own WMA, or MP3 -audio formats.
Only the unpacked format, what the Audacity will record
itself, can work. So, the all the "odd" formats should
have to convert to suitable form for Audacity-editor.
How this will happen? For that, first will need suitable
convert-software, I think. But, from where my friend will
get it, because the software should have to be very easy
to handle, and cheap ( = read: free... )

On the worst day of your life, you search for a utility that will convert
the source file format into .wav format.

For example, Winamp will read a wide variety of audio file formats and write
to a file.