Posted to rec.audio.pro
Harry Weebawoo Harry Weebawoo is offline

Default MP3 now hardwired into auto audio system but still need advice

As I mentioned previously, I was attempting to get more gain/ better sound
out of my MP3/ cassette radio adapter for my car. However, I came across an
auto radio modification recently that would allow me to directly wire the
headphone output of the MP3 into the car audio system, and I decided to try
it:

http://tiny.cc/9dg2m

Obviously, I'm using an MP3 player in place of the I-pod they use, but this
actually worked out with one exception: even at maximum volume of the MP3, I
still barely get enough signal to get a reasonable response out of the car
radio (it's less volume available than with the cassette adapter system).
This brings up the question: what are thoughts/ experiences about using a
small headphone amp, such as the Fiio E5, between MP3 output and hardwired
car radio input, in order to boost the signal enough for better frequency
response and, more importantly, gain?

Thanks,
Harry W.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 12/18/2010 7:28 AM, Harry Weebawoo wrote:

even at maximum volume of the MP3, I still barely get enough
signal to get a reasonable response out of the car radio
(it's less volume available than with the cassette adapter
system). This brings up the question: what are thoughts/
experiences about using a small headphone amp, such as the
Fiio E5, between MP3 output and hardwired car radio input,

That might work. I have the same problem with my $15 MP3
player, whether I'm using it with the cassette adapter or
plugged directly into a line input jack on the radio of a
rental car. I have to run the player's volume control up
full in order to get a usable volume from the radio. In the
interest of making the internal rechargeable battery last a
long time on a charge, they simply don't have much voltage
available at the headphone jack. Even with headphones, I
need to push the volume control up pretty high if I'm
listening to my own "non-mastered" recordings and not a
ripped ultra-compressed CD with the WAV file running near
full scale nearly all the time.

I have to turn the volume control on the radio up
considerably higher than when I listen to a standard FM
broadcast (which means I need to be careful not to get
blasted out of the seat when I switch to the radio!). This
means, also, that the signal-to-noise ratio isn't as good as
it could be since I'm amplifying the player's noise with the
car radio amplifier. I live with it since it's the program
material I'm after, not the ultimate fidelity.

Your mileage may vary.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff