Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default How did this happen?

I remember swearing off hardware dongles back in the mid-1990's, when
they seemed to become obsolete, and I assumed the idea had died a
rightful death. Now that I'm revisiting an interest in some plugins, I
see the idea is still alive and kicking, and a lot of big-name plugs
employ Pace's iLok system.

I recently suffered through IK's tedious online registration system (no
hardware), but it's hard for me to believe a better idea than an extra
piece of hardware junk sticking out and using up a port hasn't come
around in this day and age. Am I supposed to have one of these things
sticking out of my iPhone in the near future just to run software on it??

I think the most amazing part to me now is the customer is expected to
happily foot the bill (paying Pace for an iLok) to protect the plug
companies from piracy. I remember back in the day at least the company
provided the craptastic dongle.

Ok if you read this far, thanks for listening to my mini-rant; I feel
better.

Jeff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 12/9/2010 10:43 PM, Jeff wrote:

I recently suffered through IK's tedious online registration system (no
hardware), but it's hard for me to believe a better idea than an extra
piece of hardware junk sticking out and using up a port hasn't come
around in this day and age. Am I supposed to have one of these things
sticking out of my iPhone in the near future just to run software on it??

The solution is called "honesty" and there isn't enough of
it. If everyone paid for the software that they use, and
installed it in accordance with the software license, there
would be no reason to require a lock. But you can't change
human nature.

As I understand the iApps, there's only one way to get them
loaded on to your phone, and that's to download them from a
single place. Either it's free or you have to pay before you
download. My understanding is that if I have an app on my
phone there's no way for me to give it to you so you can
install it on your phone. If this isn't correct, please tell
me. But even if it's correct, I'm sure that crackers will
come up with a way to do it sooner than later.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default How did this happen? Pace ILok

In article ,
Mike Rivers wrote:

[...]

Right, I guess the iApps system kind of actually figured something out
re. this problem. I still much prefer the tedious online registration
system a la IK than purchasing a physical piece of hardware though; in
this day and age we're moving everything to "the cloud" just for some
perspective on how archaic and abusive the iLok system seems to me.

Oh well, just got my iLok in the mail, ha. Maybe I can do without my
midi interface for awhile....

Jeff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean Conolly Sean Conolly is offline

"Jeff" wrote in message
Right, I guess the iApps system kind of actually figured something out
re. this problem. I still much prefer the tedious online registration
system a la IK than purchasing a physical piece of hardware though; in
this day and age we're moving everything to "the cloud" just for some
perspective on how archaic and abusive the iLok system seems to me.

Ah yes, 'the Cloud'. It's wonderful until your ISP has a problem, and then
you're screwed till they get it fixed. Not something I would like to depend
on for my job.

Sean