Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jon.mithe@googlemail.com is offline

Default Mobile acoustic treatment

Hi,

Sorry this may be somewhat of a stupid question, but I've been looking
into room treatment after my thread about recording a while back.
Long story short I'm moving around alot in rented flatshares (single
room) until I can buy a house (then my spare room is pegged for a
studio space ) -- but I'm wandering if something else may work...

I'm thinking of buying a handful of acoustic foam pads, some board and
a handful of cheap microphone stands or something, then combining them
to make mini foam wall blocks on stands that I can position around my
room when recording, then pack them away when I'm not recording. So
with the stands actually managing to get them at head / microphone
level.

Bit of a hard question, but could this sort of "mobile" treatment
work / be worthwhile? I realise it probably wont work as well as
doing it properly (+ I still have things like a bed + curtains in
there...) but my vocal recordings definitely do seem to suffer alot
from mud / bounced around noise after hearing / starting to understand
recordings of voices (+ acoustic instruments) in treated rooms. I'm
thinking it should work, but cant say for sure and slightly hesitant
to put out £100 odd on it testing it out.

The general Idea would be to put a block behind me, maybe one to the
side and then find any places where sound seems to be bouncing about
(read about walking around clapping).

I entertained the idea of buying some sort of reflection filter for my
mic (the circular foam surrounds), but I read they do not work very
well.

Oh yeah for anyone who remembered my old thread / is interested, I
ended up buying a Neuman TLM 102 and holding off the preamp. I bit
the bullet and took my Sennheiser e906 microphone down to a shop to A
B them and try some other mics, yeah the 102 just sounded awesome
compared to my e906 for vocals. Although with xmas holidays and what
not, I wont be ale to play with it until the new year (suppose
there's worst problems to have...). Holding off on the preamp until I
test out my mic with what I have.

Thanks for any help,
Jon.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

It sounds like a good idea. Just remember that plain Fibreglas panels,
covered with inexpensive fabric, are much, much, much cheaper than
manufactured panels.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

William Sommerwerck wrote:
It sounds like a good idea. Just remember that plain Fibreglas panels,
covered with inexpensive fabric, are much, much, much cheaper than
manufactured panels.

Also realize that if you add a lot of high frequency absorption without
any low frequency trapping, you're apt to make your room problems worse
rather than better.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

wrote:

Hi,

Sorry this may be somewhat of a stupid question, but I've been looking
into room treatment after my thread about recording a while back.
Long story short I'm moving around alot in rented flatshares (single
room) until I can buy a house (then my spare room is pegged for a
studio space ) -- but I'm wandering if something else may work...

I'm thinking of buying a handful of acoustic foam pads, some board and
a handful of cheap microphone stands or something, then combining them
to make mini foam wall blocks on stands that I can position around my
room when recording, then pack them away when I'm not recording. So
with the stands actually managing to get them at head / microphone
level.

If you can put small screws or nails into the woodwork at a high level
(doorway tops or the picture rail in older houses) and hang ropes across
the room, you can hang furniture removers' blankets onto them. Hanging
them close to a wall will absorb high frequencies, hanging them on
diagonals or across corners or a fair distance away from the walls will
give more balanced absorbtion.

If ropes aren't practical, a cheap dismantlable frame of wooden strips
can be propped up to do the same job. Pairs of tall mic stands joined
by horizontal alloy tubes in the mic clips are another way.

Although they are rather thin, furniture-removers blankets are cheap
enough, when bought in bulk, to use several thicknesses until you get
the required effect. They are much easier to store than foam blocks or
boards - and they can be used as blankets in an emergency.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:
It sounds like a good idea. Just remember that plain Fibreglas panels,
covered with inexpensive fabric, are much, much, much cheaper than
manufactured panels.

Also realize that if you add a lot of high frequency absorption without
any low frequency trapping, you're apt to make your room problems worse
rather than better.
--scott

Absorption figures for AcoustiCotton look perty good, and it's much more
fun to work with than is fiberglas.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

William Sommerwerck wrote:
It sounds like a good idea. Just remember that plain Fibreglas panels,
covered with inexpensive fabric, are much, much, much cheaper than
manufactured panels.

A bunch of guys I knew built a studio on a budget, and they built a bunch of
2 x 4 foot panels hard on one side, and soft foam rubber on the other. They
could make big changes in the character of the room just by reversing some
of the panels.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"hank alrich" wrote in message

Scott Dorsey wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:
It sounds like a good idea. Just remember that plain
Fibreglas panels, covered with inexpensive fabric, are
much, much, much cheaper than manufactured panels.

Also realize that if you add a lot of high frequency
absorption without any low frequency trapping, you're
apt to make your room problems worse rather than better.
--scott

Absorption figures for AcoustiCotton look perty good, and
it's much more fun to work with than is fiberglas.

With sound absorbing materials, price is always a strong consideration.
I've found a price of $1.50 per square foot for 1/2" Acousticotton. This
compares with 2" Dow Corning 705 which has far better low frequency
absorbtion. AFAIK Acosuticotton has similar acoustic properties to 705
which is really pretty good stuff.

There is no doubt that fiberglass is nasty stuff to work with. I've spent
days pulling cables and hanging lights and projectors from the above-ceiling
area at my church. It is covered wall-to-wall with about 6 inches of
loose-fill pink fiberglass. If I use a good dust mask, completely cover my
body with work clothing (not fun in the summer) and bathe immediately at the
end of the shift, I don't get too sick.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

William Sommerwerck wrote:
It sounds like a good idea. Just remember that plain
Fibreglas panels, covered with inexpensive fabric, are
much, much, much cheaper than manufactured panels.

A bunch of guys I knew built a studio on a budget, and
they built a bunch of 2 x 4 foot panels hard on one side,
and soft foam rubber on the other. They could make big
changes in the character of the room just by reversing
some of the panels.

Foam rubber raises question about safety in case of a fire.

I greatly prefer fiberglass and properly treated fabric.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
gs gs is offline

William Sommerwerck wrote:
It sounds like a good idea. Just remember that plain
Fibreglas panels, covered with inexpensive fabric, are
much, much, much cheaper than manufactured panels.

A bunch of guys I knew built a studio on a budget, and
they built a bunch of 2 x 4 foot panels hard on one side,
and soft foam rubber on the other. They could make big
changes in the character of the room just by reversing
some of the panels.

Foam rubber raises question about safety in case of a fire.

I greatly prefer fiberglass and properly treated fabric.

I like foam for acoustics, but I will be buying insulation for my basement.
This company makes moisture resistant insulation and I think
it would be great to make panels out of....
You can order it from Lowes amd The Home Depot as well as many supplies.

http://www.roxul.com/residential/pro...sound%E2%84%A2

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:
It sounds like a good idea. Just remember that plain
Fibreglas panels, covered with inexpensive fabric, are
much, much, much cheaper than manufactured panels.

Also realize that if you add a lot of high frequency
absorption without any low frequency trapping, you're
apt to make your room problems worse rather than better.
--scott

Absorption figures for AcoustiCotton look perty good, and
it's much more fun to work with than is fiberglas.

With sound absorbing materials, price is always a strong consideration.
I've found a price of $1.50 per square foot for 1/2" Acousticotton. This
compares with 2" Dow Corning 705 which has far better low frequency
absorbtion. AFAIK Acosuticotton has similar acoustic properties to 705
which is really pretty good stuff.

Look at the figures for 1" and 2" and while cost will be a
consideration, the numbers are pretty good.

There is no doubt that fiberglass is nasty stuff to work with. I've spent
days pulling cables and hanging lights and projectors from the above-ceiling
area at my church. It is covered wall-to-wall with about 6 inches of
loose-fill pink fiberglass. If I use a good dust mask, completely cover my
body with work clothing (not fun in the summer) and bathe immediately at the
end of the shift, I don't get too sick.

What you said.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"GS" wrote in message

In article
, "Arny

William Sommerwerck wrote:
[...]

Stone wool and fiberglass wool have very similar acoustical and thermal
properties and behave similarly, wet or dry.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

William Sommerwerck wrote:
It sounds like a good idea. Just remember that plain
Fibreglas panels, covered with inexpensive fabric, are
much, much, much cheaper than manufactured panels.

A bunch of guys I knew built a studio on a budget, and
they built a bunch of 2 x 4 foot panels hard on one side,
and soft foam rubber on the other. They could make big
changes in the character of the room just by reversing
some of the panels.

Foam rubber raises question about safety in case of a fire.

I greatly prefer fiberglass and properly treated fabric.

Yes. I think at their financial level they were looking for cheap rather
than best. They got the foam from someplace that had it for free for the
hauling away.